Ski Season 23-24 thread

RidgeRacer

Take the long range forecast with a grain of salt, but it looks like temps change for the better October 30th up north.  If forecasts hold, I wouldn’t be surprised if Killington starts making snow sometime in the afternoon on the 30th and have a soft unadvertised opening of old on the 31st at 2 PM just to claim the title of being open in October…

1 hour ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Take the long range forecast with a grain of salt, but it looks like temps change for the better October 30th up north.  If forecasts hold, I wouldn’t be surprised if Killington starts making snow sometime in the afternoon on the 30th and have a soft unadvertised opening of old on the 31st at 2 PM just to claim the title of being open in October…

I’ll revisit this post in 10’days to see..do they stop do World Cup slalom races at killington thanksgiving weekend?  That’s always down to the wire with snowmaking.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ll revisit this post in 10’days to see..do they stop do World Cup slalom races at killington thanksgiving weekend?  That’s always down to the wire with snowmaking.  

World Cup is back agin this year the weekend after Thanksgiving.  People argue on K-Zone all the time whether it impacts early season terrain.  The truth is that it does.  When you’re pounding out Superstar, which is a wide trail and requires like a 3’ base for snow control, plus Skyelark or Bittersweet for training, that takes a lot of air and water, even if they do supplement with rented pumps.  Regardless, even though the hike isn’t ideal, it really isn’t bad, and honestly, there’s usually some fantastic snow conditions up there.  Helps to be 6 degrees colder than the base of K-1.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:15 AM, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

While no opening dates have been announced yet for Eastern Epic resorts, tix are now on sale for Mt Snow starting 11/18. May be skiing in 23 days.

Hunter selling tix starting 11/22 - might wait to hit that the following weekend

I don’t think Killington is going to make Halloween, but a November 1 opening is still feasible.  They will definitely open at some point next week.  Doesn’t look like an extended cold spell hits until two weeks, and even then, t2b mountains like Mount Snow and Okemo probably won’t make it open with the warmer temps at lower elevations.  Those dates above are historically accurate and probably realistic.  The dominos will fall quickly once they start.

Remember that time Big Boulder opened November 9th?

Yeah Killington prob open by 1st weekend in Nov, but won't be doing that as going to Stevie Nicks in Allentown that Sat Nt. Any of you locals hitting that show?

Earliest I could conceivably ski is Nov 8, but likely will wait til somewhere on Epic in the East is a possibility. 

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

57 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Yeah Killington prob open by 1st weekend in Nov, but won't be doing that as going to Stevie Nicks in Allentown that Sat Nt. Any of you locals hitting that show?

Earliest I could conceivably ski is Nov 8, but likely will wait til somewhere on Epic in the East is a possibility. 

My friend Steph is seeing Stevie Nicks with two of her friends. Funny thing is she looks like Stevie nicks and hates the fact that everybody says she looks like Taylor swift lol.  Stevie is OK but in more of a DanHead

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1