Ski Season 23-24 thread

RidgeRacer

Booked a trip to Utah in late February.  All four of us have IKON passes so we'll hit 4 or 5 different resorts.  

Need some new intuition liners for the boots.  Gonna roll with the same skis, but I'm going to get some new pivots to replace some bindings I don't like on one pair.  

Won't be long now!

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Booked a trip to Utah in late February.  All four of us have IKON passes so we'll hit 4 or 5 different resorts.  

Need some new intuition liners for the boots.  Gonna roll with the same skis, but I'm going to get some new pivots to replace some bindings I don't like on one pair.  

Won't be long now!

Is Utah instead of Taos?  I want new skis, I don’t 100% need them..and new gloves…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMSKI said:

Won't be long now!

i feel like i was reading something like this https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/kathy/the-ultimate-guide-to-ski-resort which seems to be how the industry is going, and for the road/parking issues of the Wasatch.  Good info to read up on, as i am sure there will be some tweaks this year.  good news is you fall under the carpool catagory, and im pretty sure you rule with an iron fist as far as getting out early.  last time Dom and I were in Utah we were heading up the canyon road at 7 am.  

Do i need new skis?  no.  who really does right?  but i loooooove buying skis.  I might trade in the Influences on something a little more powder oriented as opposed to the very wide "do most things pretty well" that the influences are.  Its fun having some different skis with different attitudes.  

• Like 6

I am so excited for this ski season!  Aspen projected opening is 11/23 but I think uphill is allowed 11/1. If I could uphill Tiehack @Buttermilk once a week I would be in such good shape. But if I could uphill once per week period I would be happy with that. Hope to ski at least 50 days this year, which would be a record for me. No new gear needed and this house has such limited space I have to be careful about everything I buy. 

They have tried to deliver my snowblower 4 times now and can never find my house since it does not appear on google maps. I guess that is my one big winter purchase.  AIARE 2 class/ hut trip in the San Juan’s in Feb with my favorite guide/mentor. Hoping to spend chunks of time in CB also. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 7

Ridge..thanks for starting this thread..I began a similar thread last year in august.  Mid September the stoke is high just about all of us have gear ready to go wax doesn’t matter much early season..ice..cookies..but a fresh tune helps..it’s still hot and humid but can tell it’s getting dark earlier.  

Last year PASR was abuzz with speculation about the new lift..well now the super summit safari six pack will be running right off the bat..yeah I talked about blue in a non blue forum…what are you a cop..Sue me. 

I’m stoked for another ski season. Was it last season they never got Sidewinder open or is that a bad dream???  Think cold thoughts..and look forward to a lot of stoned and drunk ramblings from me.  

Hasta La vista baby

You’re welcome and anytime @GrilledSteezeSandwich. Yes sidewinder never opened last season which was a bad dream that came true. Won’t happen this season. We’ll be skiing the booters on side well into March under the setting sun. It’s gonna be grate.

only trips booked / planned so far is Flagstaff in Feb, likely only one trip this year but thinking 4 ski days. Lake Placid first week in April for a total eclipse sesh. Of course plenty of Blue. Open to whatever. Likely going to Vegas in Dec so who knows maybe I’ll check out Las Vegas ski and snowboard resort while out there.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

You’re welcome and anytime @GrilledSteezeSandwich. Yes sidewinder never opened last season which was a bad dream that came true. Won’t happen this season. We’ll be skiing the booters on side well into March under the setting sun. It’s gonna be grate.

only trips booked / planned so far is Flagstaff in Feb, likely only one trip this year but thinking 4 ski days. Lake Placid first week in April for a total eclipse sesh. Of course plenty of Blue. Open to whatever. Likely going to Vegas in Dec so who knows maybe I’ll check out Las Vegas ski and snowboard resort while out there.

Is Vegas for a concert?  

On 9/12/2023 at 12:34 PM, JFskiDan said:

i feel like i was reading something like this https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/kathy/the-ultimate-guide-to-ski-resort which seems to be how the industry is going, and for the road/parking issues of the Wasatch.  Good info to read up on, as i am sure there will be some tweaks this year.  good news is you fall under the carpool catagory, and im pretty sure you rule with an iron fist as far as getting out early.  last time Dom and I were in Utah we were heading up the canyon road at 7 am.  

Do i need new skis?  no.  who really does right?  but i loooooove buying skis.  I might trade in the Influences on something a little more powder oriented as opposed to the very wide "do most things pretty well" that the influences are.  Its fun having some different skis with different attitudes.  

Shit was absolutely insane this season, check the wasangles snake on IG for details. The fucking gondola/real estate scam I think will only make shit worse but it is some of the best skiing anywhere so hard to say it's surprising. My uncle basically lives on the other side all winter and he says it's all dependent on the day. Holiday weekends and mega dumps you gotta be at the bottom by 6 but other days particularly mid week you drive right up. Weirdly Brighton has been very difficult. Parking at Albion has become hectic af if you can get a spot. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got a sick ass kappa Italian ski team jacket I've been trying to find for a bit and a second trew real taste the rainbow type look.

How in the fuck do you all already know where your going ? I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow let alone February........ the only one that is burning a hole in my brain is Revelstoke and I have an ikon so hell or high water. I'll probably go to UT but I think it's a warm vacation Christmas year idk.

It will just be so impossibly nice to ski, I'm hoping side goes this year then it will be like a whole new trail.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

Shit was absolutely insane this season, check the wasangles snake on IG for details. The fucking gondola/real estate scam I think will only make shit worse but it is some of the best skiing anywhere so hard to say it's surprising. My uncle basically lives on the other side all winter and he says it's all dependent on the day. Holiday weekends and mega dumps you gotta be at the bottom by 6 but other days particularly mid week you drive right up. Weirdly Brighton has been very difficult. Parking at Albion has become hectic af if you can get a spot. 

I got a sick ass kappa Italian ski team jacket I've been trying to find for a bit and a second trew real taste the rainbow type look.

How in the fuck do you all already know where your going ? I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow let alone February........ the only one that is burning a hole in my brain is Revelstoke and I have an ikon so hell or high water. I'll probably go to UT but I think it's a warm vacation Christmas year idk.

It will just be so impossibly nice to ski, I'm hoping side goes this year then it will be like a whole new trail.  

I’m starting to get excited to ski Blue…Especially after mailing in taxes today…sheeeh I pay more in rent to the IRS than to live in a hotel house..Unbelievable.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

im always interested in a good real estate scam.  whats that all about?

1 hour ago, Benm said:

Someone plz buy these. Perfect for the east. Screenshot_20230916-193706.thumb.png.95e05df3a76d5bc854dca538509cd69a.png

The park skiers always seem to to detune their edges for the rail gardens and back in the day I used to swap skis on the regular with people at Blue because a lot of us had similar BSLs..over the years skiing on the stiffest planks to the most noodlely skis.  I really liked the old atomic super cross skis back in 2006 and ended up buying a pair of atomic LT 11s and they were the shortest skis I ever had at 170..they’re probably in some landfill in jersey. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Speaking of skis my new “Old “ skis showed up yesterday. I found another pair of 2007 Rossi B2’s They were in someone’s closet and only used twice! Absolutely pristine except for a small base scratch. Some ptex and a base grind and good to go. This will be my third pair. I snapped the first pair in half bailing on a bump line when someone cut in front of me at Blue years ago. A very deep icy mogul trough . 

I hate buying a new unfamiliar ski because on occasion I’m disappointed. I’ve bought a lot of ski’s over the years. My dissatisfaction percentage is maybe 20% So I’ve been hunting down a model that skis well for me. 

When does Blue open their shop? 

IMG_3810.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, JFskiDan said:

im always interested in a good real estate scam.  whats that all about?

I don't know all the details but they are putting one of those kop style condo/apt/ mini inclosed communities in Rose Park which was always a working class area of SLC. I think it's more the straw that broke the camels back but peeps where all out of shape about the end of old ut. I don't know what the answer is but I just tell people the best skiing in UT is at PC.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:10 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@Johnny Law do you think you’re the only person to ever ski Blue on 203 Length Shiros??  I’m gonna bring out my old shiros sometime just for Matt edge @Dirtwolf he wants them so bad and they’re so beat to shit. 

Back in the day wasn't it all 200+, that old dude who's at the lineup during the week says his dailys where 220's back in the day. I do miss those skis and edge would love them......... in further edge news I heard Denton is back this season.  Steepest in the east was their claim no ?

5 hours ago, Zonked said:

I also just booked a trip to Utah in late Feb. We have a place in Park City from Feb 20- 25th. It's been quite a few years since I've been there so I'm excited to check it out

Up at DV they have a Top Golf in the St. Regis. It's the smaller swing suites but it's a real good time with food and drinks and all that, plus it's good spot for all ages. If you go up the road don't miss Goldener Hirsch. I also highly highly highly recommend a stop at Salt outside on the deck at the St. Regis or in the Vintage Room. The truffle pizza is le tits and they added a lobster roll that is to die for. Ski all morning,then eat a lunch of nothing but lobster roll and oysters while on the deck in the sun... now that's living.  

My brother loves the shopping but it's all too much Patagonia for me, we Norwegians is dope though. 

Town lift has been weird since covid,  if your staying somewhere and your plan is to use the town lift I would pay alot of attention to the start of the season and when it's running. Mad peeps had to change plans and drive down when it's late/not running, plus then your totally fucked on getting a spot. 

• Like 3

Good to know! thanks for the insight!

We have a house that is a 2-3 min walk to a trail/lift that is not the town lift. So we should be good. We prioritized booking more of a ski in/ski out house since there are 9 of us. Makes it easier logistically and no car rental is needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1