Ski Season 23-24 thread

RidgeRacer

19 minutes ago, Barb said:

I saw he was going to be!  Thanks for the tag 

damn the limelight hotel!  That place is a fortune. Surprised he didn’t just stealth camp at a brush a creek lot

edit to the edit. Ok I see he didn’t pay for his room. Should have watched more then 30 seconds of video first

Yeah they put him up.  Lucas is actually pretty frugal…I saw the hotel he stayed at goes for about $1,000 a night.  His Dad does have a couple million dollar house in park city where Lucas lives when he’s not doing the van life thing   His dad is a very successful surgeon in Syracuse NY  

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/67-Thaynes-Canyon-Dr-Park-City-UT-84060/68846069_zpid/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Barb said:

Inbounds avalanche at Palisades Tahoe. Unknown if anyone was caught 

The avalanches are gonna be insane in JH…weeks of hoar frost and crystals on top of an old shallow snowpack and then lighter density snow and wind slab..and the next storm this weekend coming in warm…it’s like trying to build a house with a foundation of potato chips…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barb said:

Inbounds avalanche at Palisades Tahoe. Unknown if anyone was caught 

I saw that. Right under the KT22 lift apparently. Unfortunately it appears one person was caught. Positive Vibes to everyone involved. I remember that area well. Very steep and wide open terrain. Apparently that area had just opened for the season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Utah is getting dumped on like crazy. I saw something like 58-84” total predicted for Alta, prob enough for closures. Lucas videos always bangers. 

Pops mentioned yesterday that his son in law(?) was out there but they were closed

• Sad 1

21 skiers rescued in the killington back country.  Getting lost is scary..the backside of killington is wilderness and there are no roads for several miles and once dark not easy to back track. 

https://www.wcax.com/2024/01/21/more-than-dozen-skiers-snowboarders-rescued-killington-backcountry/?outputType=amp

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Those SAR people are tough and knowledgeable. I have a lot of respect for them. I thought I read awhile back there is a charge for their services in Vt now. 

I think almost all of them do but they are very very reluctant to actually charge anyone in the case it would discourage someone from reporting.

I no longer recall the circumstances but last season in NH there was an incident in the whites were people were clamoring for a charge and Iirc they eventually decided on $400 which is not a deterrent for anyone really.  

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@saltyant how has Mount Snow been?  I saw Okemo received 6”

A few more pics. Boy I lucked out. Skiing in southern Vermont has been infinitely better than anything in Pennsylvania this season.

dCYlWj9zvIRTxEGL0H1sTFp_Syj4TJFCCZneH8LWN1I-1536x2048.thumb.jpg.7833d37ffb217ace171c5d0d8ff5bbab.jpg

BCHVYYRgyOxTr-sn0GR00qu-GCSS1yMmY8yTpR_teOk-2048x1536.thumb.jpg.58b27e82f0751abcf09ce80325597f13.jpg

IMG_20240130_094515038.thumb.jpg.0e7153e5ca590292f0408007f2ef324f.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That's some siiiick perd. Booting indoors is for gapers, I ain't got no time for that. Looks like some Jerry fell around the 23 minute mark. @NastarGlennlikes to yell "Jerry" whenever he see me off in the distance, or someone that looks like me with a red hoodie.