Sunday River 11-29-23

Ride Delaware ?

4 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Damn that looks mid-winter up there. WTGAI

Very elevation dependent.  On the main road before the access road, there wasn’t any snow outside of what the plows had pushed a few days earlier.  Up on the hill there was probably about 10”.  The guy I rode the lift with told me it had snowed on and off for about 2” the day before.  It was groomed in nicely.  Nowhere near enough to open anything on natural.

On the flip side, Sugarbush was reporting 20” and counting in 4 days from some upslope, and being the most aggressive resort at opening terrain I know, was opening natural trails left and right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Very elevation dependent.  On the main road before the access road, there wasn’t any snow outside of what the plows had pushed a few days earlier.  Up on the hill there was probably about 10”.  The guy I rode the lift with told me it had snowed on and off for about 2” the day before.  It was groomed in nicely.  Nowhere near enough to open anything on natural.

On the flip side, Sugarbush was reporting 20” and counting in 4 days from some upslope, and being the most aggressive resort at opening terrain I know, was opening natural trails left and right.

i saw that they opened castlerock.....no lift though.  but still, for November thats pertty sweet.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Are you going to Sugarbush this weekend?  I was looking at the mad river glen webcam and looks pretty filled in. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

The fastest way to hate something you love is to do it for work, I say go nuts, ride for you and enjoy not being responsible for the general public. 

This is so fucking true....I was one of the first SB instructors at Doe Mt...We basically  got a season pass for wearing a jacket and screwin off..You taught like three or four lessons all year cause nobody snowboarded in the early 90's...Then the muther effin X games came along and it was a swift kick in the bean bag...Every kid wanted to snowboard..You would be havin fun dickin around ..then get call for a lesson with somebodies crotch goblin and you'd be like FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, NMSKI said:

@Ride Delaware ? I have a question about Sugarbush that has been bothering me.  When they open up castle rock hikers only, what is the route to get there?  Hike up from north lynx or over from heavens gate?  

You ski down Paradise off of Heaven’s Gate and before the trail turns to the right, there’s a sign and a path that leads to the left and puts you on the Long Trail.  If you’re on a snowboard, you’re hiking 90% of it.  If you are on skis and adept at duck walking or whatever skiers call it, uphill, then you can keep the skis on, as there are a decent amount of downhill sections.  There isn’t any type of trail between North Lynx, and the elevation change is much more drastic.  When the lift isn’t open, we don’t run a fixed patrol station at Castlerock, so patrollers rotate every hour or two, and therefore, I know the hike rather well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

You ski down Paradise off of Heaven’s Gate and before the trail turns to the right, there’s a sign and a path that leads to the left and puts you on the Long Trail.  If you’re on a snowboard, you’re hiking 90% of it.  If you are on skis and adept at duck walking or whatever skiers call it, uphill, then you can keep the skis on, as there are a decent amount of downhill sections.  There isn’t any type of trail between North Lynx, and the elevation change is much more drastic.  When the lift isn’t open, we don’t run a fixed patrol station at Castlerock, so patrollers rotate every hour or two, and therefore, I know the hike rather well.

Good stuff.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1