January 7

zzslope

im dreaming here, but i'd love for their response to this event being some sort of guarantee for advertised large snowfall events.

highspeeds will be operational at open. 30% back for each downed lift. sprinkle in some wait time algorithm where a third lift might not be required.

no managed lines at open - 20% back

no vip lines at open - 10% back

one can wish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Benm said:

im dreaming here, but i'd love for their response to this event being some sort of guarantee for advertised large snowfall events.

highspeeds will be operational at open. 30% back for each downed lift. sprinkle in some wait time algorithm where a third lift might not be required.

no managed lines at open - 20% back

no vip lines at open - 10% back

one can wish

BenM you’re the most demanding customer ever.  I couldn’t imagine how you’d be if you were on a ski trip and lifts were closed due to avalanche conditions or high winds or power or mechanical conditions or was giant cookies.  Perfection is impossible gotta just go with the flow.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

They’re already on icon. I can’t imagine it won’t be full blown iconic next season. Maybe I’m wrong idk.

I hope it doesn't become an unlimited access ikon resort for the sake of how much busier it might be.  Although, I also wouldn't mind just having to buy an Ikon and not a Blue/CBK pass as well.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

BenM you’re the most demanding customer ever.  I couldn’t imagine how you’d be if you were on a ski trip and lifts were closed due to avalanche conditions or high winds or power or mechanical conditions or was giant cookies.  Perfection is impossible gotta just go with the flow.  

you know im not talking about uncontrollable things like avalanches. i'm talking about things that are basics, like lift lines being managed appropriately and lifts being up. if they're going to advertise three lifts, run three if lines are miles out of the corrals. i don't expect perfection but i expect the simple things to be handled. 

Edited by Benm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Aren’t they officially on Ikon now?  I don’t think it’s gonna be where Blue season passholders are automatically Ikon passholders.  Only like that for the flagship alterra resorts. 

Yeah i dont think Blue will be unlimited on the Ikon, even with an upgrade.  I think since it was announced kinda late in the year, next year they will be "officially" Ikon.  Like skiitooloves and his double black diamond skier twins, he has already given us warning he is going Ikon.  And from this past event, i dont think the Ikon thing is going to bode well for us.  

The whole Epic/Ikon thing is interesting. I think it definitely encouraged more people and families to take up skiing, which is a good thing, for them and for the sport. Once upon a time Epic pass ruled in Colorado. When Eldora was on Epic they had the same problems you guys are experiencing at Blue. But they have such limited capacity parking it was unsustainable. They switched to Ikon. I never went to Eldora on weekends but I think now it’s just as bad as when they were on Epic. I think both passes, here at least, are the same. Most of my friends who used to be on Epic switched to Ikon. They hated dealing with Vail and Breck. But now Winter Park and Copper are just as bad crowd wise. 

I have seen the huge increase in crowds since Crested Butte went Epic. It’s not as bad as the front range resorts but people have definitely discovered it. I puked in my mouth paying for a full Aspen pass this season. I haven’t skied there too much yet, but based on crowds Christmas week, the full price definitely keeps it manageable. 

I agree with you guys that if Blue goes full Ikon, it’s gonna be a shit show and that’s a shame. 

• Like 3

Don't forget Rona, mad people had to go play outside and turns out touching grass is actually pretty dope. 

Bikes are the same way, mad people stopped riding once things went back to kinda normal but mad people found out they loved it. I'm not besmirching them just saying there are way more people outdoors now. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Barb said:

The whole Epic/Ikon thing is interesting. I think it definitely encouraged more people and families to take up skiing, which is a good thing, for them and for the sport.

Actually I think the passes discourage people from taking up skiing. Beginners don't buy season passes. When they think about trying skiing they look at the now exorbitant day ticket prices plus rentals and go snow tubing or ice skating. I actually heard a father at blue a few years ago suggest to his two young boys that snow tubing might be more fun after seeing the lift ticket prices.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Actually I think the passes discourage people from taking up skiing. Beginners don't buy season passes. When they think about trying skiing they look at the now exorbitant day ticket prices plus rentals and go snow tubing or ice skating. I actually heard a father at blue a few years ago suggest to his two young boys that snow tubing might be more fun after seeing the lift ticket prices.

Valid point, didn’t consider how much day tickets increased. 

7 minutes ago, Barb said:

Valid point, didn’t consider how much day tickets increased. 

When I was in college it was a big deal when the major rich people resorts like Vail Aspen and Stowe cracked the $50 lift ticket barrier but back then gas was a dollar a gallon and two people could go out for a nice supper for $50

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trackbiker said:

A way around this is offering a cheaper beginner pass that limits access to beginner slopes. I'm not sure if this is a thing now since I'm a super expert, but when I started skiing I remember that being a thing.

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

A way around this is offering a cheaper beginner pass that limits access to beginner slopes. I'm not sure if this is a thing now since I'm a super expert, but when I started skiing I remember that being a thing.

Blue used to offer first time on skis packages, maybe they still do.  Where it gets expensive is when people progress past the bunny slope which is usually day 2 or day 3.  Then they need to buy a normal lift ticket plus rentals.   

On 1/8/2024 at 11:05 AM, indiggio said:

Why doesn't Blue have a reservation system for Ikon pass holders too?

This is a great point, @indiggio. Other ikon resorts have them in place.

i can only imagine the ikon deal closed without enough time to implement a reservation system.

• Like 3