1/22 Mad Crasins

Johnny Law

2 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Rode this morning c1er in the house but he was too fast on rasins and I could never catch him. 

I pretty much went up to ski rasins, it looked primo from the lift yesterday and I hadn't ridden it at all. 

First chair I was alone and with no AS out front to give me a preview I stuck to 90% speed but about half way down I realized it was straight butter and let them go. 

It was so nice to open them up a bit and make endless plunging arcs in what was 9/10 razors. I rode that 4 or 5 times in a row but everyone else had the same idea and it got too crowded for speed runs. 

Lazy was most excellent, coming soon is exactly the same, ratty headwall but primo grip. 

Sadly the blew and were blowing on upper main so that was far more scrambley then the weekend but still smaller cookies so medium rippage. 

Not surprised but sad to see no action on switch or side, they were blowing the yellow fans, upper main and the first headwall on challenge.

Maybe the biggest news I met the dude sleeping in his car.  Eric from Maryland he stays at the AT lot as blue wouldn't let him live in theirs.  Hyper stoked to ski blue, so much I had to re think my general bitching about all the dumb stuff they do.  He was aware of our group and came up to me from my bright clothing but good dude with an interesting story.  

i was pretty jealous of those that could ski Raisins yesterday.  it did look and sound really nice from the lift yesterday.  Glad to hear they didnt mess it up.  

11 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i was pretty jealous of those that could ski Raisins yesterday.  it did look and sound really nice from the lift yesterday.  Glad to hear they didnt mess it up.  

It was a bit hard which makes sense given the urea so I would think post rain may be even better 

Skied until about 11 when the lifts started backing up outside the gates. Summit wasn’t open when I left. Quad was particularly busy. Upper Razors got a little marbled, but once you reached above Razorback I could open up a little. Skipped TCS with a few runs on Main and Curzi’s.  Saw JLaw having fun on lower Razors, but we were pretty much oppositely staggered. A lot of work done on the slopes and it shows. 

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Skied until about 11 when the lifts started backing up outside the gates. Summit wasn’t open when I left. Quad was particularly busy. Upper Razors got a little marbled, but once you reached above Razorback I could open up a little. Skipped TCS with a few runs on Main and Curzi’s.  Saw JLaw having fun on lower Razors, but we were pretty much oppositely staggered. A lot of work done on the slopes and it shows. 

Geez lines out the gates by 11.  Times have changed 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Omw. Praying it's not crazy 

I've been maybe, possibly, considering, mayhaps, doing a very rare night skiing this week. If there are lines with 47,584 minute long waits this will sway my opinion.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

. Razors is closed for racing. Guns are a blaze. Good night sesh

Is this trail ever not closed for racing? I was actually thinking about an afternoon/evening session this week and getting on Razors was one of the big reasons I wanted to brave night skiing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Schif said:

Is this trail ever not closed for racing? I was actually thinking about an afternoon/evening session this week and getting on Razors was one of the big reasons I wanted to brave night skiing. 

One of the few incentives to night ski is off the table. WTF, Blue?!

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Schif said:

I don't know the schedule anymore as I don't night ski all that much but it used to almost never be open at night.  Lots of college and high schools practice plus I think they don't want that many people on it.  

When NMDW is open with no features it's better as is switch, rasins you can literally fall down and it's almost always the hardest snow on the hill. I think it's best when in the slush when it gets more 3d and you can mix in some airs. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Schif said:

It opened around 7 after they took down the gates, but it was realllllly slick.

What I couldn't necessarily understand was why main and lazy were top to bottom guns a blaze but nothing on switch or side.  Challenge is close and Nightmare dreams whales are massive. They're clearly going for straight park on NMDW otherwise I have to think it would've opened it has so much snow.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, saltyant said:

One of the few incentives to night ski is off the table. WTF, Blue?!

When you gotta work during the day I'm just glad that skiing is still an option afterwards. Although I'm clearly not as stoked on night skiing as I used to be. Now a days im happy to hold off on night sessions until the sunset spring sessions kick in. Those evenings can be magical. I skied tonight because I missed this weekend and was jonesing to ski, plus the shit weather kicks in tomorrow I think 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Schif said:

Screenshot_20240122_230118_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, Schif said:

It's becoming a bigger $ maker for Blue, as they rent it out to high school teams now during the week, sometimes a couple schools split the cost.

Edited by indiggio

10 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

What I couldn't necessarily understand was why main and lazy were top to bottom guns a blaze but nothing on switch or side.  Challenge is close and Nightmare dreams whales are massive. They're clearly going for straight park on NMDW otherwise I have to think it would've opened it has so much snow.

Im not sure on the park thing on NMDW.  Need to factor in the weather a little.  Snow making temps are gone for a week or so now, we knew it was gonna come to an end today, and then rain.  So, to me, it seems like there is a decision to be made.  Keep pumping snow on trails so they have a good base, or stop at what will get them open, and move on.  I am in the minority that would have kept pumping snow on challenge and NMDW, rather than move over to side (which will require tons of snowmaking), and switch, just to lay down some snow, and watch it rain.  Take a close look at lower main.  it doesnt have a good base, and since like 15 trails come together there, it could be a problem later in the season.  

Last year, NMDW was open, but if you remember, it sucked, pretty much all the time.  there wasnt enough snow on it.  the first 2 turns were narrow, couldnt really get your groove on.  I dont remember challenge being steller any time i skied it either.  

the whole quality over quantity might apply here.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Im not sure on the park thing on NMDW.  Need to factor in the weather a little.  Snow making temps are gone for a week or so now, we knew it was gonna come to an end today, and then rain.  So, to me, it seems like there is a decision to be made.  Keep pumping snow on trails so they have a good base, or stop at what will get them open, and move on.  I am in the minority that would have kept pumping snow on challenge and NMDW, rather than move over to side (which will require tons of snowmaking), and switch, just to lay down some snow, and watch it rain.  Take a close look at lower main.  it doesnt have a good base, and since like 15 trails come together there, it could be a problem later in the season.  

Last year, NMDW was open, but if you remember, it sucked, pretty much all the time.  there wasnt enough snow on it.  the first 2 turns were narrow, couldnt really get your groove on.  I dont remember challenge being steller any time i skied it either.  

the whole quality over quantity might apply here.  

Good points. I hope that’s the case

Today was nice. Light mist turned to light rain by the time I left at 11. Everything was in really good shape, hero snow. They closed razorback, and the lower part of razors for slalom practice, so you had to exit at the crossover to Falls. Lazy, Main St., Widowmaker, were in really good shape, they got a little soft, but never snow piles or slushy. The only complaint was that the right side of lower main had a lot of groomer bumps, and that’s where I skied to avoid the schussboomers coming down from Midway along the left side which was a lot smoother.

Summit lift had some problems off and on, and the quad got a little crowded sometimes but not too bad. Slopes were pretty crowded by the time I left, but not as bad as yesterday. They desperately need another wide slope, like sidewinder, to open up to take some of the pressure off other slopes.

All in all, one of the better days on the mountain. Switched from my RTMs to my Head Kores about 1030 and they handled the soft stuff a lot better.

• Like 5