2011-2012 P.A.S.R. Utah Invasion thread....

phillycore

I can't wait to ski powder for the first time. Looks like so much fun from the pics/vids. Need to just bite the bullet and fly my ass out west this year.

Tear it up out there guys and bring us some great action shots/reports.

Edited by vinnyv11
  • Like 1

I can't wait to ski powder for the first time. Looks like so much fun from the pics/vids. Need to just bite the bullet and fly my ass out west this year.

Tear it up out there guys and bring us some great action shots/reports.

our first day will give you plenty of stoke... no doubt about it.

• Like 1

total titty sparkles...

yep. new favorite phrase.

total titty sparkles = my mom cared enough to send a cases worth of Southwest Airlines free drink coupons in the mail, timing it sooo perfectly that they arrived today.

should start making mothers day plans now... after getting Utarded.

• Like 1

So here goes....

I left my house early as hell this morning (4:30) and headed to PHL for my 6:30am flight to SLC with a 40 minute layover in Chicago (MDW which ended up being 12 minutes between unboarding the one plane, walking down to the other gate and boarding the new plane) The flight was on the rough side and the pilot tried to get it to stop shaking taking the plane from 38000 feet down to 26000 feet and no luck. Either way no harm done, we made it. Unfortunately, I sat next to a pregnant lady who already had a 18month old that obviously needed a serious diaper change....so almost gagging to death for 3 hours sucked.....I kept pulling my t-shirt over my nose and luckily for me I had sprayed some cologne on so it helped mask the shit smell.

So I arrived at SLC, grabbed my skis, and my bag and headed for the rental car lot. Picked up the rental car, threw my gps on the windshield and headed straight for Deer Valley to use my quick start free ticket. On my way there I realized that the sundance film festival is going on but nonetheless, I was there to ski not schmooze with whomever goes to those things.

I parked in the free lot, tossed on my ski pants in the front seat of the jeep patriot, grabbed my gear and walked the 1/2 mile or so to the snow park lodge. Gave the lady my printout, a copy of my boarding pass, and my drivers license, and she handed me my free lift ticket! HELLS YEAH!! Clicked the skis on and I was on the carpenter express lift by 1pm SLC time. I blasted down little stick, to know you don't, and ended up on solid muldoon back to the carpenter express lift.... At the top of that lift I made my way back via silver link to the sterling express lift. From there I worked down wizard and over onto rattler down to the wasatch express and back up. Then I tackled reward back down to the wasatch lift once again. Reward, and Rattler were full of BIG ass soft fluffy bumps (just like those girls with the badonkaddonkz that we all be gawking at.... don't lie!!) Back up the wasatch and over to grizzly to perserverance to the sultan express. Then I ventured down steins way over towards the mayflower bowl which I took the easy line into then worked down to free thinker then through the trees onto the orient express down to the mayflower lift. From there I went down fortune teller to morning star back down to the mayflower lift again. Then steins way which was groomed blue then black back down to the sultan express back to the top of bald mt. While riding the lift up, I took a gander at the map and realized that I really wanted to get over to Empire canyon which was all the way on the opposite side of the mtn. So I started working my way over there. I'm not sure exactly what trail I ended up on but it was closed due to thin cover and of course I didn't see the ropes because I got into it by skiing through some trees. Anyway, it sucked and I had to dodge rocks for a while until I ended up on the top of a 6-7' rock cliff with a groomer under it. I don't do drops unless they are mandatory,and I couldn't have done this one even if I wanted to as it was a big straight rock slide down to a groomer. I had to pop out, toss my skis down and slide down the thing basically. Ok so that sucked, but I got back on some groomer and eventually ended up at the quincy express lift where I took the quickest way over to empire for time purposes via a green groomer called bandana. I then was able to hop onto the empire express and eventually drop into the empire bowl towards domingo which is where the tree pics are from, then down buckeye to orion back down to the empire express. I caught the very last chair as that lift closes at 3pm and once again dropped into empire bowl and took the same route basically only I varied the tree section a bit. Since the empire lift was closed it forced me onto the Ruby Express lift which I took up and skied down hawkeye to the northside lift. Then I skied down some green trail and was popping in and out of the trees where there was this section called bucky's frontyard or some shit... it was pretty cool trail in and out of the trees in an unexpected spot. This brought me down to the silver strike express lift which I took up and popped onto ontario then into this path that led me to ontario bowl and back onto ontario and I cut on some path that took me over to homeward bound which took me back to the sterling express lift and back up to the top of bald mt. I blasted down this blue groomer called birdseye and back down....this is the point where I got a little mixed up and thought I was back down to the base. I was actually at the silver lake lodge which is in the middle, instead of the snow park lodge which is at the base. All I know is that I couldn't go up anymore as everything was shut down and I hopped on the silver lake express which I thought would take me back over so I could ski down to the base.... NOPE that lift takes you down to the base. So I missed out on 2 or so groomers which took you down to the snow park lodge as everything was shutting down by the time I got to the base. All in all, I really didn't need it as I got a shit ton in for a 3:15 session or so.

Deer Vallley definitely isn't anywhere near the top of my list as being gnarly, but it's a fun mtn. There's a shit ton of rich folks that ski there, and have their cars valet parked and all that. There was a tractor trailer in the parking lot unloading vehicles that people had transported there. Not sure why they wouldn't just rent something, but whatever... It probably doesn't deserve the #1 ranked mountain, ok, it doesn't at all, but it's definitely not a shitty mountain either. I'd ski there again for sure, I just wouldn't pay the $100 lift ticket to do so. I'm glad I went in the end...

I rolled out and drove to the hotel which is in Layton, Utah checked in, grabbed some grub, stocked the fridge with some PBR's from the walmart, took a shower and typed this TR... Not too shabby for a first day I think.

Brighton, Solitude tomorrow....maybe just Brighton. Gotta save my legs for when my Homies get in.... 6 straight days is going to be tough out here with no ski legs due to a shitty late start and my health issues...I really only had one solid day before today this season...the others I actually got in were seriously weak with no real terrain open.....

we are skiing Snowbasin on friday and Powder on Saturday...

Well that SUCKS!!

We are kind of locked in to Snowbasin on Saturday, and Powder on Sunday with the Pro letters. They wouldn't give them to us undated, anyway you guys could swap days around for at least one of them so we could meet up??

We are pretty much locked into the following

Friday - Snowbird

Saturday - Snowbasin

Sunday - Powder

Monday - Alta

Nice report Phillycore!!! There's this new invention called paragraphs.

yes there is....

I was tired what can I say.

No excuse for it.

Actually I'm still tired, didn't sleep for shit with time zone change.

Pretty sore too, had the rls going on.

Do you like these paragraphs better?

Lol

Edited by phillycore

and who doesn't love titty sparkles? i've never ridden any of the powder country stuff; i'm more interested in the stuff off of sanctuary and lightning ridge.

The Lightning ridge stuff is shorter but with more vert, sometimes you ski the Bird and look around and go "I'm not really all that good at this sport" so you go to Powder and ride the Powder Country bus and then you say "I'm really good at this sport" LOL

Sanctuary and Cobabe are flat as fuck, every time I want to go ride over there I spend 2hrs and then say fuck it I remember why I shouldn't come over here. That area gets sun long before Lighting so it can get kind of manky.

Titty sprinkles is 30" with the access road closed behind you, its a hamburger helper spicy fiesta call out in this video which also has an eaglelope that spits fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CfG_-JOlhM

Only Pow Mow, fucking love that place, sad I may not get there this year.

• Like 1