Zee Lights

skifreak

I should of added for people who plan to get at least 10 days in.

Well some of those ten day people only go discount time like Sunday nights and stuff. I've had a season pass every year for the last 20 years except one season. Passes at blue junior and senior years of high school. Sugarbush/Stowe big pass freshman year of college, Stowe next three years..a year with no pass when my lyfe was uncertain but still skies Stowe, hunter, mad river, blue and Jackson that year, two years at Bridger bowl and this is 12th year in a row with blue pass

not sure why many guns are now off and nothing is happening at the base. maybe just trails we can't see....

Would not take much to get falls and homestretch ready. Come on blue. If it doesn't rain this weekend and no six pack lines will be insane

I should of added for people who plan to get at least 10 days in.

I prefer going a variety of places and find good deals a variety of ways including the PASR card, Liftopia, Windham ski club card, Hunter big lift card, Mountain Sports Club, and kids ski free with adult deals. Last year I skied 21 days at 11 different places within 3 hours of my house, and spent a total of $457 which included 2 free lessons and 13 kids lift tickets in addition to the 21 adult tix. Don't think I could have come close to that deal with a season pass, particularly as I do at least 75% of my skiing on weekends.

Really the only thing that would make a pass appealing is the VIP line deal at Blue. But I don't love Blue enough to want to do almost all my skiing there.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Skiing with kids takes a lot of effort but it is very gratifying and is getting easier as they get better. About 1/2 to 1/3 the time I ski it is with kids and if I wasn't skiing with them those times I would be skiing less and spending that time doing other things with them.

I do work at finding deals, but the joy I get from skiing a wide range of places, based on where I think will have the best weather, conditions and crowds on any given day makes it worthwhile to me. I do pay full fare sometimes, but get enough deals that it averages out pretty cheap.

As I have posted many times, those PASR cards that let you ski Blue, CB, JF and Shawnee for an average of $14/day are the real key. I could do 20 days at those 4 places for a total of $315 (including the $30 ski club membership needed to purchase the cards), and get 2 free kids tix each of the 5 days at Shawnee.

I prefer going a variety of places and find good deals a variety of ways including the PASR card, Liftopia, Windham ski club card, Hunter big lift card, Mountain Sports Club, and kids ski free with adult deals. Last year I skied 21 days at 11 different places within 3 hours of my house, and spent a total of $457 which included 2 free lessons and 13 kids lift tickets in addition to the 21 adult tix. Don't think I could have come close to that deal with a season pass, particularly as I do at least 75% of my skiing on weekends.

Really the only thing that would make a pass appealing is the VIP line deal at Blue. But I don't love Blue enough to want to do almost all my skiing there.

When blue is fully open it is the best skiing around. Do you keep detailed expenses for everything? I used to keep a spending journal to see what I spent at bars and restaurants

Congrats on all your deals. That's some pretty impressive savings for the the areas you and your family have skied.

I'll give you one intangible though; friends at the mountain. The people I have met and relationships I have enjoyed with the folks at blue are awesome. Week in and week out I can count on skiing with friends even though I drove to the mountain alone. You can't get that from being a mountain nomad. Season pass rocks wherever you choose for that reason alone.

• Like 8

It is true, it would be nice to have a group to ski with if I went one place a lot. I don't track all my expenses. Tend to spend very little at the mountains though, mostly brown bagging it or maybe buying some chili. Dont like mixing alcohol and skiing. Will usually buy some hot chocolate for the kids.

Routine with the kids is basically going to Shawnee where they ski free until they hit 46" (this is probably their last season qualifying). Only other places I went with the kids last year were one day each at Spring (where they have a ski instructor they love), Alpine (not worth the drive for that terrain, won't go back), and BB late season when everything else was closed.

What is the best preseason deal on adult and kids passes at Blue?

Next year they graduate from skiing free at Shawnee under 46" to the 4th grade pass.

When they hit 6th grade, they may start skiing less til they get jobs, but I will likely have achieved my goal of making them better skiers than me over 5 seasons by that time :-)

Bear Creek has a lot of beginner terrain. Get there before they open on the weekend, be one of the first people on the lift- usually not that crowded until about 11am. Also, when they are able to handle skiing and getting on the lift themselves, you can let them go out on their own- it's not that big, so less chance they will get lost. 

Congrats on all your deals. That's some pretty impressive savings for the the areas you and your family have skied.

I'll give you one intangible though; friends at the mountain. The people I have met and relationships I have enjoyed with the folks at blue are awesome. Week in and week out I can count on skiing with friends even though I drove to the mountain alone. You can't get that from being a mountain nomad. Season pass rocks wherever you choose for that reason alone.

That is true about Blue, you'll always run into PASRs no matter when you're there. 

What is the best preseason deal on adult and kids passes at Blue?

If midweek or late season works for you, getting in on a ski club is probably the best bet. My mom runs a ski club that ends up being a little less than $100 per person for 5 midweek/late season days. Mbike on here does the same thing but with 6 days for around ~$120 I believe. Around $20 a day to ski is a pretty solid deal in my opinion, if you can make the midweek restriction work til March 1st.

I've noticed that. Just glad to see something on down there.

Wouldn't surprise me if they opened Thursday and maybe Friday with the runs they have released so far, while blowing mostly in the base area Thursday and Friday night to open with the high speeds on the busier weekend.

Seems like solid business sense.

• Like 1

Next year they graduate from skiing free at Shawnee under 46" to the 4th grade pass.

When they hit 6th grade, they may start skiing less til they get jobs, but I will likely have achieved my goal of making them better skiers than me over 5 seasons by that time :-)

We did the 4th and 5th grade ski passes which were nice because they let the kids experience a bunch of different mountains. Mine eventually chose Blue as his favorite of all that we skied.

After the passes it had been season passes up until the point he started working at Blue for his pass.

Once in high school it's been ski club to go with friends.