1/9/16...first weekend day of the season.

First off Phillycore is a trooper, props to him for taking it in stride. Second, my plan of waiting the morning out to ride in the afternoon completely backfired lol. Getting there at 8 am would have worked

true that on phillycore

@8am you would have needed a wetsuit.  i was there @ 7:30 but did not venture out till close to 9:30  because it was drenching best window was between 10-12

and by 12 fog was so thick, I took a few spills on upper main because i could not see more than 1 foot in front of me

I think they closed because once the racers and families were gone, the place was dead empty and they were losing more money on payroll then they would have gotten.  the thunderstorm just gave them a reason to send people home

Edited by larrytbull

I think their tickets say no refund due to weather. I could be wrong, that's pretty much a given any ski area. And if there are thunderstorms in the area last place I wannabe..... on a metal chair, on a metal cable connected to a metal pole.

I think their tickets say no refund due to weather. I could be wrong, that's pretty much a given any ski area. And if there are thunderstorms in the area last place I wannabe..... on a metal chair, on a metal cable connected to a metal pole.

Back in the Ray Tuthill days everyone wasn't sue happy

Not saying they shouldn't close down during a thunder storm, but deciding to close for the rest of a whole (in this case relatively mild) day is a different matter than turning lifts off for an hour.

To me no refund due to weather means don't ask for a refund if you are too much of a wuss to ski in the weather, which is a different thing than no refund if we close due to weather.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

I think there's a gray area here. If you bought an all day ticket at 8am and had to leave at 1230 due to weather I don't see much the ski resort can do to compensate but I feel for someone who came up at noon bought a ticket at 1215 and got one run in they should receive a voucher. That's more customer good will. I have situations like this at work all the time and sometimes we are better off eating it even if it's not our fault and even if it's in the fine print just cause we want repeat business.

A few years ago at Jackson hole I maybe got 1.5 hours of skiing in before all lifts were shutdown due to a blizzard and winds and they offered vouchers for another day to everybody. For those on their last ski day you got resort credit to use in a store or eatery. I felt that was the most generous thing I've seen. Sometimes during long lift closures people stuck on chairlifts for over an hour get a voucher for another day. I was stuck on a lift at sugar bush for like an hour and a half and got a voucher for a free hot chocolate. I didn't want hot chocolate so had to wheel and deal with cafeteria guy to have a soda instead.

Let's hope the January thaw is out of the way. Looks like a lot of 20 degree temperature ahead.

There's really no excuse to not issue rain checks if you choose to close with that much of the day left, particularly a day that turns pretty nice after the storm blows through. I get no refunds, but the consumer needs to get what they paid for

They aren't losing money giving a voucher they prob will make more money in the future.

• Like 1

If a place does not offer a raincheck when they make a decision to close, I will establish a practice of choosing other mountains when there is any chance of rain and will think twice before choosing that mt. again. They are one of at least 10 worthy day trip mountains for me (along with Elk Montage JF CB Shawnee, 4 in CSkills, and maybe even Mt Creek) and are not in a position to act like a monopolist.

Their choice is to become that "I am unlikely to go back as often or in such circumstances" place for a lot of people or to guarantee that all those people will give them another shot and probably spend some more $ there when they do. Incredibly short sighted to not offer a rainchecks in such a situation IMO.

Costs them nothing, earns them good will and perhaps some $.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

Kirkwood offered me a free half day lift ticket back in 2010 when they had power failure problems. No lifts for a while, candle lit bathrooms, no food or anything like that...but hiking was the worst part of it.... Didn't get back there though. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1452488650.247991.jpg

I leave for kirkwood feb 18th. I'll take it [emoji3]

• Like 1

Blue indicated on FB they were giving vouchers to folks who requested them at guest services. Good thing to know for the future.

All our vouchers are run through Guest Services as well. Like GSS said, when we evac you from a chair or you sit on it for an extended period of time, you are issued a ticket that can then be redeemed at Guest Services. We don't know what that ticket redemption will be for. It is decided by upper management and is decided based on the amount of time you were on the lift, the time of day you were stuck on the lift, and the temperature outside while you were stuck on said lift.