New "No Outside Food" in the lodges policy

enjoralas

They used to tell you that you could only bring food into that locker room area I thought.  At least that's what I remember seeing last year.

But yeah, the more I think about it, the more it strikes me as really a shame...

I'm going to Blue to go skiing.  And the lodge is there to facilitate that.  If that means gnawing on a lunch I brought from home, so be it.  I bought a lift ticket to ski, and they are giving me a place to sit and put my boots on and take a break from the activity.  I'm not going to blue to eat their food....

Oh well.

No, not too cool for rich people but too cool for only rich people.

Plenty of non wealthy people who are avid skiers they just have to prioritize what they spend their money on. Due to the high cost of snowmaking I don't see local ski areas ever being that reasonably priced but the $449 season pass is a deal and a half.

They used to tell you that you could only bring food into that locker room area I thought.  At least that's what I remember seeing last year.

But yeah, the more I think about it, the more it strikes me as really a shame...

I'm going to Blue to go skiing.  And the lodge is there to facilitate that.  If that means gnawing on a lunch I brought from home, so be it.  I bought a lift ticket to ski, and they are giving me a place to sit and put my boots on and take a break from the activity.  I'm not going to blue to eat their food....

Oh well.

What percentage of people who buy single day tickets at blue do you think buy food? I'm thinking at least 50% probably closer to 100% of the buses of school kids that come up. When I used to go up in middle school for night skiing with the ski club we were told to bring money for supper. Otherwise if you packed you'd have to use a locker an extra time to retrieve your food and yes I was a gaper back then and always got a locker for my boot bag and sneakers.

When I worked at Bear, one of our jobs was to patrol the lodge on weekends and request people not leave their coolers, bags on the tables while they were skiing. Or ask the one person sitting at the table with 5 coolers while everyone else skis, to please share the table. Most people would either look at you like you were speaking another language, or just refuse to do it. Not much could be done about it. I can't believe people actually take their own beer in the lodge! I have nothing against people bringing their own food, but don't leave your cooler on a table. Just rude.

So people at bear creek didn't follow the rules??

one of the guards chased a lady down in front of her two young childeren for bringing a box of donuts into the lodge at 7:45 am lol.

I saw that on Facebook. I still don't get why they couldn't have eaten the donuts on the drive up same with enjorales he can drink his red bull on the way up not when he's booting up inside the lodge.

I can understand the issue from both sides.

Blue is a business and they need to make money to survive. The reality is most customers don't understand how much overhead blue has. The insurance, snowmaking, and electric alone are probably sky high. Blue probably figures if they ban all outside food it will help increase sales for food in the lodge. At the same time you have people who are buying lift tickets, lessons, rentals etc that feel they spend enough money to support blue and should be able to eat inside. If you take that away from them, they will get pissed and threaten to go elsewhere.

Then of course you always have the self-centered idiots who have to ruin something for everyone else. The people like others have mentioned that come in and take up tables all day for themselves so that nobody else can sit down, including the people who did choose to pay for the over priced food.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Times have changed. Years ago people had more money to throw around and splurge. Nowadays they just don't. They are just happy they got to the mountain. On the flip side, you have blue who has now gone through two bad winters and is probably trying every which way to make up lost revenue. I'd bet the vast majority of these people who pack a lunch do so to save money. Blue should recognize that because if they piss off enough of these people, it's going to work against them in lost revenue when they go elsewhere.

This reminds me of families going to the beach for a week. Years ago you'd see people rent a condo for a week and go out to eat and do activities most of the week. Nowadays if the family even goes a week, they cook in the condo and only do 1 or 2 activities because of how expensive it's gotten and their income has either dropped or stayed flat.

Simple solution: just make a separate area for people who want to bring in outside food to eat.

Edited by skifreak

I actually like the policy more than I dislike it. At Montage yesterday it was hard to find a spot to sit for 5 minutes just to de-boot and put my Street shoes back on when we were done at 2pm. Don't know how much was outside food, but lots of stuff spread out and taking up whole tables.

I think the reason Disney is so accommodating with the outside food policy is for a reason that might actually bite Blue in the ass at some point in the future — they can't feed everybody. They just can't keep up with it, especially at traditional meal times.

They know that by allowing people who want to bring their own lunch to do so they are removing those people from the food service lines and creating a more positive experience for those willing and able to drop the coin on the food they have for sale.

I know if I were to walk into a counter service joint in Magic Kingdom and realize it's going to be a 40 minute wait for food, I'm outta there. I'll buy my kid a corn dog from the midway cart with the shortest line and eat after I leave the park.

Did the same thing at Blue last month. Brought the whole family up for the Winterfest fireworks. Watched em and sent the kids down the ice slide a few times and the 3yo decided he wanted a pretzel. We hadn't had dinner, so went in to the lodge.

I went up for his pretzel and figured might as well buy dinner. I was going to get a burger meal, a chicken fingers meal, some other sammich, his pretzel and a couple drinks. I looked over and there were literally 15+ people waiting for food, on the side with receipts in hand. Quickly decided to just grab the pretzel, a coke, a brownie for me and a whooping pie for the wife. Things that didn't need to be cooked. Ate it then bugged out to McDs.

I know that was a tangent, was before this rule, and was a special event, but I just wonder if by forcing people into buying their food it might become commonplace.

• Like 1

I sort of like the fact its pissing off the race moms.  

From my understanding of the rumors, this is at whom the policy is targeting...

I doubt Blue would have a problem with people brown-bagging a lunch here and there, but when people are carting in cases of water, Gatorade, crockpots, etc. like I've seen people doing, Blue really needed to put an end to it..

I also heard that they've been doing the roaming tablet questionnaires and at least one person I know of went off on the racers and them not only taking over the mountain, but also the lodges as well.

Perhaps that had something to do with the implementation of the policy?

I also heard they the policy was only going to be implemented during heavy weekends, we'll see...

I agree that Blue shouldn't allow one person to sit at a combined table "saving seats".

If you're not there, tough beans, wait for a seat/table like everyone else...

Blue also needs more outside tables on the patio area, especially now with the warm weather starting.

• Like 2

Blue needs to enact a policy for no camping out on tables( with gear coolers etc), that is reasonable. But those nazi'ed up security guards? Really?????? That was a insulting joke.

I have to believe they brought security in so that they don't need to ask regular Blue employees to try to enforce the policy.

I agree that having "security guards" looks bad, but imagine one of Blue's teen employees having to tell a race mom or worse, a dad sitting at a cluster of tables behind a wall of coolers and cases of water, sucking at Blue's free Wi-Fi teat all day, that they have to leave?

At least these guys don't really care as their superiority complex kicks in after putting on the uniform, badge and tazer and can't wait to tell people they can't park their sorry carcasses there all day, while their kids are out terrorizing the mountain.  Don't forget that "The majority of the riders and skiers you encounter on the slopes are in the Blue Mountain Racing program, which trains them to be kind and respectful." http://www.mcall.com/travel/mc-travel-blue-mountain-tubing-20161224-story.html

Perhaps replace a bunch of the tables with standing tables, since you can't really cluster them and camp out?

• Like 2

Guards stopped someone from bringing a cup of coffee into the lodge lol.  i havent bitched about this policy cause i dont really care, but not letting someone bring a cup of coffee into the lodge at 7:45 in the morning is insane. hopefully one of the guards doesn't tackle me for the water bottle i keep in my pocket

• Like 1

Guards stopped someone from bringing a cup of coffee into the lodge lol.  i havent bitched about this policy cause i dont really care, but not letting someone bring a cup of coffee into the lodge at 7:45 in the morning is insane. hopefully one of the guards doesn't tackle me for the water bottle i keep in my pocket

TP4 I saw you bring your Sheetz coffee on the six pack. Such a badass