Jump to content

Help Me Choose a VT Vehicle!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need a Subaru Brat.  Great ground clearance, can fit the bike in back plus 2 passengers with death wishes!

Yup, manual locking hubs. 78-96 Broncos are the shit. I have an 88 sitting in Pops driveway. I should get it back on the road 

Just get a Subaru Outback. Subaru has the best all wheel drive system and I don't anyone who's had maintenance problems with Subaru's. I've had 3 and put over 200k miles on each with mainly basic main

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What’s wrong with CVT?  I thought it makes automatic transmission vehicles more fuel efficient.  Eaf have fun in Colorado and post a report. 

IDK, there is just too much controversial stuff coming from different vehicles that have CVT. Some implementations may be better, some worse, but I know first hand that Nissans were plagued with CVT failures and Jeeps went as far as to say that certain CVTs in them were not designed for highway driving due to overheating. So take reliability issues, then pair them with increased noise levels and unusual driving sensation, and here ya go.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t even notice the difference but I don’t drive for fun..it’s for transportation and an extra garbage can.  I bet Eaf imported a fine vehicle from Russia. 

0420A4DB-6F32-4E53-B8A9-B4F8ECF1C7EA.jpeg

These cars were designed in 70s. Carburetor, I4, stick, RWD, something like 100hp and 30mpg. Best part about them was that folks could fix most of the (numerous) issues right in the garage if not on the streets. And not too many things that could go suddenly wrong anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh good, I was hoping Eaf would join the thread.

90% of the cars up here are Outbacks, Foresters, or Rav4s. I can’t imagine CVT being all that terrible if everyone and their dogs keep buying them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Oh good, I was hoping Eaf would join the thread.

90% of the cars up here are Outbacks, Foresters, or Rav4s. I can’t imagine CVT being all that terrible if everyone and their dogs keep buying them.

That's hardly an indication of anything. I see plenty of soccer moms in their minivans. Doesn't make those vans a good buy.

I have no knowledge of RAVs, but was toying with the idea of getting an Outback or a Crosstrek. Of course, their main selling point are numerous videos about how Outback can climb those rollers while Toyotas and Hondas are limiting torque going nowhere or sliding side-to-side. People rave about symmetrical AWD, engines with the second harmonics balanced out due to the opposed cylinder layout, love the clearance and how they can get in the middle of a swamp and then get out.

But then if you browse through Forester of Outback forums you'll find plenty of concerns about reliability of CVT, about TSBs, dealer reprogramming, consequences of transmission overheating, extended warranties and what not. I was kinda surprised to find many people calling mileage like 100-150K high and bragging about their cars going that long with minimal repairs. Interestingly, if you look at other manufacturers, like Honda, you'll find that their Acura variants whether TLX or RDX all have 6, 8 or 9-speed automatics whereas the more consumer-oriented Accords and CRVs are stuck with CVTs.

The Outback owners that I talked to in person generally like the eyesight assist, dislike increased noise level (partly transmission, partly rack on the roof), some are picking on the quality of assembly, and all comment about lousy performance of the 4-cylinder. So at least get yourself a 3.5L.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, eaf said:

That's hardly an indication of anything. I see plenty of soccer moms in their minivans. Doesn't make those vans a good buy.

I have no knowledge of RAVs, but was toying with the idea of getting an Outback or a Crosstrek. Of course, their main selling point are numerous videos about how Outback can climb those rollers while Toyotas and Hondas are limiting torque going nowhere or sliding side-to-side. People rave about symmetrical AWD, engines with the second harmonics balanced out due to the opposed cylinder layout, love the clearance and how they can get in the middle of a swamp and then get out.

But then if you browse through Forester of Outback forums you'll find plenty of concerns about reliability of CVT, about TSBs, dealer reprogramming, consequences of transmission overheating, extended warranties and what not. I was kinda surprised to find many people calling mileage like 100-150K high and bragging about their cars going that long with minimal repairs. Interestingly, if you look at other manufacturers, like Honda, you'll find that their Acura variants whether TLX or RDX all have 6, 8 or 9-speed automatics whereas the more consumer-oriented Accords and CRVs are stuck with CVTs.

The Outback owners that I talked to in person generally like the eyesight assist, dislike increased noise level (partly transmission, partly rack on the roof), some are picking on the quality of assembly, and all comment about lousy performance of the 4-cylinder. So at least get yourself a 3.5L.

There will always be the guy who complains, the guy who praises and the guy who does no give two shits and just drives. I feel like there are a lot more of the latter than the former, and the latter is not the guy posting on a forum saying how good or bad his experience is with a car. In the end its just a car, you're going to loose a lot of money on it no matter how you look at it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like we need to do some "top Gear" testing on our AWD/4WD vehicles.  I will bring my Tacoma.  I will lose in the MPG department.  Might get points in the ground clearance department.  I think its safe to say Jlaws vehicle will lose in the 0-60, unless its going down hill, but might get points for endurance, and overall # of miles on the odo.  

 

I know nothing about CVT's, but i have fixed my share of snowmobiles, if that helps.  I wouldnt buy a snowmobile though.  they definitely cannot carry a bike.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eaf said:

That's hardly an indication of anything. I see plenty of soccer moms in their minivans. Doesn't make those vans a good buy.

I have no knowledge of RAVs, but was toying with the idea of getting an Outback or a Crosstrek. Of course, their main selling point are numerous videos about how Outback can climb those rollers while Toyotas and Hondas are limiting torque going nowhere or sliding side-to-side. People rave about symmetrical AWD, engines with the second harmonics balanced out due to the opposed cylinder layout, love the clearance and how they can get in the middle of a swamp and then get out.

But then if you browse through Forester of Outback forums you'll find plenty of concerns about reliability of CVT, about TSBs, dealer reprogramming, consequences of transmission overheating, extended warranties and what not. I was kinda surprised to find many people calling mileage like 100-150K high and bragging about their cars going that long with minimal repairs. Interestingly, if you look at other manufacturers, like Honda, you'll find that their Acura variants whether TLX or RDX all have 6, 8 or 9-speed automatics whereas the more consumer-oriented Accords and CRVs are stuck with CVTs.

The Outback owners that I talked to in person generally like the eyesight assist, dislike increased noise level (partly transmission, partly rack on the roof), some are picking on the quality of assembly, and all comment about lousy performance of the 4-cylinder. So at least get yourself a 3.5L.

 

6AC8240D-305D-4B2B-A128-380A3C457521.jpeg

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would LOVE a Tacoma, but I live at least twenty miles from everything, so low MPG would be a serious financial hit. 

I'm going to do some research on Rav4 vs. Subaru and see what the latest specs and reviews say. 

I almost forgot about the new VW Golf Alltrack. Will investigate that, too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Vw is garbage. Girls jetta has less than 95k on it and and every plastic/vinyl/rubber piece fell apart inside. Rubbish

I agree with this based on my observations of a friend's Passat. They had to glue some elements of the internal trim many-many times, and they would still fall off. It burns oil like crazy, had issues with O2 sensors, suspension, electrics, torn radiator hoses. But one awesome thing that that particular Passat has is 100% corrosion-free body. It's 2001, 2 years older than the Accord that I own, and while it has some pretty bad rust on the hood and rear wheels arches, the VW is completely spotless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, eaf said:

I agree with this based on my observations of a friend's Passat. They had to glue some elements of the internal trim many-many times, and they would still fall off. It burns oil like crazy, had issues with O2 sensors, suspension, electrics, torn radiator hoses. But one awesome thing that that particular Passat has is 100% corrosion-free body. It's 2001, 2 years older than the Accord that I own, and while it has some pretty bad rust on the hood and rear wheels arches, the VW is completely spotless.

German cars suck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

I had a 1995 Ford Bronco you had to get out of the vehicle and adjust something by hand on the front wheels to put in 4 wheel drive. I loved that thing!

Yup, manual locking hubs. 78-96 Broncos are the shit. I have an 88 sitting in Pops driveway. I should get it back on the road 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I had a 1995 Ford Bronco you had to get out of the vehicle and adjust something by hand on the front wheels to put in 4 wheel drive. I loved that thing!

I had an 85, and a 95. Great vehicle. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, SallyCat said:

Before winter arrives I'm going to need a new car. My current '09 VW Jetta Wagon has been a trooper, but even with bomber snow tires I often spin out on hills of even moderate grade. It also has terrible ground clearance, which is a significant issue around here. Here's what I'm currently thinking of:

1. Tacoma 4x4. Great ground clearance, can throw bikes in the back, etc Lousy mileage, though?

2. Toyota Rav4: Very popular up here. Reliable, safe, decent-looking. The sensible choice?

3. Subaru Forester. A classic choice, but I know some people who have had bad experiences with reliability and maintenance costs. 

4. Something else I'm missing?

I have owned several Toyotas, four wheel and two wheel drive. Great vehicles, no complaints, and I know many people who own Toyotas, they all say the same thing, several of those people have Tacomas. My research on CVT transmissions indicates that they are good when they work but are VERY expensive to repair. Good luck with your decision.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 10:54 PM, SallyCat said:

Before winter arrives I'm going to need a new car. My current '09 VW Jetta Wagon has been a trooper, but even with bomber snow tires I often spin out on hills of even moderate grade. It also has terrible ground clearance, which is a significant issue around here. Here's what I'm currently thinking of:

1. Tacoma 4x4. Great ground clearance, can throw bikes in the back, etc Lousy mileage, though?

2. Toyota Rav4: Very popular up here. Reliable, safe, decent-looking. The sensible choice?

3. Subaru Forester. A classic choice, but I know some people who have had bad experiences with reliability and maintenance costs. 

4. Something else I'm missing?

1. A solid option.  Living in VT, you never know when you might have to drive on a dirt road.  I've always recovered when I've gone down in fuel economy in a vehicle.  My current car gets 15mpg less than my last, but I wouldn't trade back.  A real low gear might be very useful.

2.  Older Rav4's AWD systems only worked at slow speeds.  Not that you want to be flying in the snow.  I'm sure they are more sophisticated now. Look for a 6 cylinder model.  The 4 is way under-powered. 

3.  Great AWD system.  I only wish they had a nicer fit and finish on the inside. 

4. Volvo's new XC40 🤩

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...