SallyCat

Help Me Choose a VT Vehicle!

Before winter arrives I'm going to need a new car. My current '09 VW Jetta Wagon has been a trooper, but even with bomber snow tires I often spin out on hills of even moderate grade. It also has terrible ground clearance, which is a significant issue around here. Here's what I'm currently thinking of:

1. Tacoma 4x4. Great ground clearance, can throw bikes in the back, etc Lousy mileage, though?

2. Toyota Rav4: Very popular up here. Reliable, safe, decent-looking. The sensible choice?

3. Subaru Forester. A classic choice, but I know some people who have had bad experiences with reliability and maintenance costs. 

4. Something else I'm missing?

My Tacoma gets 18 mpg.  On the highway, around town, or in 4 wheel drive.  Doesnt seem to matter much.  They hold their value like crazy.  

• Like 2

I like my Honda CRV.However, its  a real pain trying to fit a bike in the back. I have s hitch and bike rack I use. Gets around 24 mpg highway. It's 2007, so maybe newer ones more efficient. 

• Like 1

Just get a Subaru Outback. Subaru has the best all wheel drive system and I don't anyone who's had maintenance problems with Subaru's. I've had 3 and put over 200k miles on each with mainly basic maintenance.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Just get a Subaru Outback. Subaru has the best all wheel drive system and I don't anyone who's had maintenance problems with Subaru's. I've had 3 and put over 200k miles on each with mainly basic maintenance.

You’ve driven over 600k miles total??  Wow just wow. You must have a long commute. 

3 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I like my Honda CRV.However, its  a real pain trying to fit a bike in the back. I have s hitch and bike rack I use. Gets around 24 mpg highway. It's 2007, so maybe newer ones more efficient. 

That's a big issue, too. Since Honda stopped making the Element and so many cars are aerodynamic/bullet-shaped now, it seems tricky to find one that will hold a bike upright w/ front wheel off, which is what I'd love to be able to do. 

1 hour ago, trackbiker said:

Forester is cheaper and has more storage capacity.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

Are you buying new or used?

I'd like to buy new, but my credit score might say otherwise.

26 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

That's a big issue, too. Since Honda stopped making the Element and so many cars are aerodynamic/bullet-shaped now, it seems tricky to find one that will hold a bike upright w/ front wheel off, which is what I'd love to be able to do. 

Don’t bikes fit inside SUVs?

25 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I'd like to buy new, but my credit score might say otherwise.

If it’s over 700 no issues.  Heck mine was in the 600s when I got my current car and I maybe pay $16 more a month than if my credit was A+

You need a Subaru Brat.  Great ground clearance, can fit the bike in back plus 2 passengers with death wishes!

brat.thumb.jpg.b65f332a088d3be697369d8b707a75cb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Don’t bikes fit inside SUVs?

Yeah on their side; I’d like to rig a fork-mounted rack to the floor and have the bike standing up

51 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

You need a Subaru Brat.  Great ground clearance, can fit the bike in back plus 2 passengers with death wishes!

brat.thumb.jpg.b65f332a088d3be697369d8b707a75cb.jpg

A classic.

18 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Badass

Those seats. In the winter. Savage.

I would try to avoid anything that has CVT in it. Which eliminates CRV, RAV4 hybrid and even Subaru, unless you import a stick from Canada.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, eaf said:

I would try to avoid anything that has CVT in it. Which eliminates CRV, RAV4 hybrid and even Subaru, unless you import a stick from Canada.

Subaru Forester is available in a stick.

1 hour ago, eaf said:

What’s wrong with CVT?  I thought it makes automatic transmission vehicles more fuel efficient.  Eaf have fun in Colorado and post a report. 

Our Subie wagon has CVT and never had a problem with it in the snow and makes acceleration smooth, no gear shift jerk.

Its not a real drivetrain. Like driving a snowmobile. 

You want gears and shit.