3/3/19....sausage Sunday..nice weather.

Hey All,

I’m back from another fun day at Blue mountain the true mountain.  I arrived at the lower lot at 720am and it was around 30 degrees outside with some sunshine.  In the house were Atomic Jeff, Johnny Law, JFDan, RyGuy, Salty, MBike Mike, Enjorales, Enjorales Dad and many more.  First run was on challenge which was ok but uneven grooming and the lipstick on a pig conditions with chunks quickly being exposed..Sidewinder was good until the last section which was thick sugar..the Root rollers weren’t bad.  

Lazy mile also had ok snow, upper Main Street was very good while lower was rough, Paradise was good and only SP3000 on the first corner and Switchback was uneven grooming.  I spent plenty of time in the lot eating meat, had a donut and some beer and speculated about tonight’s snowstorm.  Could be very very good tomorrow morning...

this is the only picture i took today. 

50FA496B-BB63-4FDF-A46C-C8D86204E173.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been really nice... until about 10:30 when all lift lines suddenly overflowed. Who would've thought that people would come despite the forecast of rain and snow...

Paradise and Lazy were awesome, hated Challenge, Razors was somewhat better when it opened. And we enjoyed Sidewinder until the crossover into Lazy thereby bypassing the lower section that was in worse shape.

Also have been looking for that cream cheese all over the mountain, but I guess you ate it all yesterday.

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

It's been really nice... until about 10:30 when all lift lines suddenly overflowed. Who would've thought that people would come despite the forecast of rain and snow...

Paradise and Lazy were awesome, hated Challenge, Razors was somewhat better when it opened. And we enjoyed Sidewinder until the crossover into Lazy thereby bypassing the lower section that was in worse shape.

Also have been looking for that cream cheese all over the mountain, but I guess you ate it all yesterday.

The cream cheese was gone by 9am yesterday.  Sucks to suck.

• Like 1

Very good snow today, enjoyed everything but lower Main Street. I swear that Upper and Lower Main must be groomed by two different people. How can Upper be sooo good and Lower so bad? And where this the find those ice balls after the snow was so good yesterday? 

Tough to complain much about that though, when everything else was so good. Just have to be ready to check it up heading into Lower Main, no matter how good it was up top. Got on the snow about 8:15, not sure if anyone was able to sneak into Razors or NMDW but all three were closed when we made it to the top. 

Started with a  run down Switchback and it was smooth cord with only a few tracks. A great run down and back up for a Sidewinder lap. We’ve started trying to hit Sidewinder pretty early before the bottom gets destroyed by traffic checking up for the Lazy intersection. Had planned on doing Lower Sidewinder but ran into some super slow traffic towards the bottom, so when they dropped into Lower I bailed over to Falls instead. Pops didn’t get the memo and continued into Lower, I watched from Falls and dropped in to meet him on Homestretch.

Another great run and it was back up to complete the blues with a Lazy lap. Great snow again, had a small ventral ridge groomed in about halfway down, was fun when I found that by accident, but no big deal.

Took Lower Sidewinder that time and back to the six pack where we found the crowd was big enough for a liftie out grouping people together, but none on scene yet. This led to a couple of little kids trying to simultaneously force their way through the crowd to the front (to the point where one of them had their skis on top of my dad’s tips) while turning to motion to their friends to come join them.

Then at the load, three snowboarders went out together from the left chute in front of us to join the four skiers coming out of the other two. Now, this might be fine in a few years after Vail puts in the 8 person lift, but it wasn’t gonna end well today. I started yelling “Too many, too many, one of you had to stay back!” and luckily one of them heard and scooted back in time to avoid a chair shutdown. Pops and I scooted out to ride with the lone boarder since no one from the other two chutes moved out. Actually had a nice chat on the ride up.

We decided to take a Burma chair ride to hit Widowmaker and give the six pack line a chance to normalize with a liftie, so took Main down and discovered the variable grooming. The top was so good though. Up Burma to Widowmaker and it was so good we had to rip it three times with Vista chair rides between. Good opportunity for  a Mikes Harder on the lift.

Back in the valley we opted for a quad ride, where there was no liftie but the wait was pretty short. Took another Switchback run and stopped halfway down to help a kiddo get his skis back on and underway so his dad could stop skating 50yards uphill. Finished the run and headed up the 6. Liftie out, little wait.

On the way up we discussed another Lazy run, but I decided to run Sidewinder down to the cut over to Lazy before the last bit, and arrived there the same time as Pops who must have been going balls out to get there just before me. Headed down and took the six again for another Switchback and made it down without a stop that time. 

It was almost time to head out and start grilling, the snow was just too good though and we needed one more. Decided on the quad and on the way up noticed that NMDW and Razors had opened, so we decided to run Nightweaver. But once we got to the drop in I couldn’t turn down Razors so I ran that while Pops ran nightweaver. Met up at the bottom and headed out to the lot.

After a fun sausage Sunday (highlight was the pulled pork flatbreads; the Sam’s Choice sausages from Wal Mart were pretty tasty too) my wife showed up with the boys and we took my 5 year old over for his first timer lesson with Niko. He did well and had fun but struggles to even make a wedge, so we’ll have to work on that.

He still wanted to ski so we drove up to the summit and make a few more runs down the school hill up there. Put his little backpack on him and thought I would use the leash deals to send him down ahead of me and control his speed that way, but found it was easier to just grab the straps of the pack and ski down with him between my skis. Yeah, he wasn’t really doing or learning anything, but just getting him the feeling of going downhill and excited to be on skis I’m  counting as a win.

• Like 8

Nice report enjoralas...sausage sunday sounds awesome.  Cool that you got your son out on the snow, I'm looking forward to eventually taking my daughter.

48 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

On the way to blue.  Timing turned out bad with this storm for fresh.  Still should be better than work. 

Nice...I was going to skip work today, but looking at the weather last night, didn't know if it'd be worth using a vacation day.

3 hours ago, PSUFly said:

Nice report enjoralas...sausage sunday sounds awesome.  Cool that you got your son out on the snow, I'm looking forward to eventually taking my daughter.

Nice...I was going to skip work today, but looking at the weather last night, didn't know if it'd be worth using a vacation day.

Yes worth taking a vacation day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1