Spring Mountain

GeorgeNascarstanza

10 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Never met a girl in CO who I dated. Song is fictional.

I figured...those chicks in Colorado don’t fall for fools like fat NJ blonde chicks with apartments near Hunter fa la la la la happy fucking new year 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

10 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Had my first lessons there. Did most of my learning at Little Gap. I remained limited to PA skiing - mostly Little Gap - from 80-87 and didnt get to ski anywhere decent til December 88. 

So you’re saying there is no decent skiing in Pa? 

2 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

So you’re saying there is no decent skiing in Pa? 

With just the right fresh snow and a mountain that leaves it ungroomed it can be pretty awesome on occasion. North face of Montage is probably the place I have experienced that most regularly in PA. And it always beats not skiing and is great for learning or teaching kids.

But when I hit Taos in Dec 88 it was incomparably better than any of the PA skiing I had been limited to from 80-87 (Little Gap, Doe, Spring, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Elk, Alpine, Split Rock).

In general, if I have the time and $ available to travel a bit further, I will take any of the 4 Catskills Mts over any in PA, except if a snowstorm just hit Poconos and missed Catskills. Does anyone here feel they prefer PA to Catskills skiing other than for proximity reasons?

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

7 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

With just the right fresh snow and a mountain that leaves it ungroomed it can be pretty awesome on occasion. North face of Montage is probably the place I have experienced that most regularly in PA. And it always beats not skiing and is great for learning or teaching kids.

But when I hit Taos in Dec 88 it was incomparably better than any of the PA skiing I had been limited to from 80-87 (Little Gap, Doe, Spring, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Elk, Alpine, Split Rock).

In general, if I have the time and $ available to travel a bit further, I will take any of the 4 Catskills Mts over any in PA, except if a snowstorm just hit Poconos and missed Catskills. Does anyone here feel they prefer PA to Catskills skiing other than for proximity reasons?

Most of us live a half hour to an hour from Blue..some less while the Catskills are 3-3.5 hours away so not apples to apples..unless people have a girlfriend who lives in north jersey doesn’t make sense to ski the Catskills much. If not for the thousands of NYers the Catskills are good. 

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

No one is saying Blue is better than X up north or out west. you're the only one doing the compare and contrast bull shit. We're just having fun at our local Hill. Honestly just ski and have a good time. Who gives a shit.

I was asked to elaborate on my comment about by ski history which basically started at Spring, moved to Blue, and then on to larger places.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Most of us live a half hour to an hour from Blue..some less while the Catskills are 3-3.5 hours away so not apples to apples..unless people have a girlfriend who lives in north jersey doesn’t make sense to ski the Catskills much. If not for the thousands of NYers the Catskills are good. 

Of course. If I lived those distances from those places, I would ski Blue a lot more. Thats why I moatly skied Little Gap while based in Philly (through Spring 88). Did it plenty again last season when I got a great deal on it, and enjoyed it.

9 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

No shit, really?  Taos better than PA?  Thats the fucking dumbest statement i have heard in a long time.  Taos on an inch of snow with snowblades, and rocks in your boots would be better than PA.

I'm not sure that you just dont get that we all understand Blue isnt just like a western resort.  But its location is why we ski it.  A day to the Catskills, well, i guess if its gonna be epic, but its a pretty decent drive for most, and if im gonna gas up the truck to go ski, might as well bypass Hunter, Platty, etc, and head a little further to Northern VT.  But at the same point, maybe before gassing up the truck, maybe just jump on a plane and head out west, where you will get the best skiing.  Do i think Platty might be a good time?  Sure, but is the drive gonna be worth it, when Blue is so close?  

We get that you are thrilled with your Epic Pass, and will ski no where else that you would have to pay for a pass. 

• Haha 2

I am planning to pay to try Big Snow with the girls one day in 2020.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone to stop skiing Blue. Just reporting on my own ski trips, and commenting on other threads. Epic Local pass was an awesome deal and seems likely I will have my best ski year ever, as will my girls.

43 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I am planning to pay to try Big Snow with the girls one day in 2020.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone to stop skiing Blue. Just reporting on my own ski trips, and commenting on other threads. Epic Local pass was an awesome deal and seems likely I will have my best ski year ever, as will my girls.

If you go to Big Sky I can give you advice on what to ski...I skied there semi regularly for two seasons.  March would be a good time to go there maybe during the girls spring break...Frontier flys into Bozeman for what it’s worth.  

32 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If you go to Big Sky I can give you advice on what to ski...I skied there semi regularly for two seasons.  March would be a good time to go there maybe during the girls spring break...Frontier flys into Bozeman for what it’s worth.  

Big Snow at American Dream in NJ.

Plan to try in off skison.