Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Wow, thats really interesting. 

yeah they announced this last year. businesses were already throwing a fit because it cut revenues basically in half, now it looks like the outcome will be even worse. other people (like me), were pissed because it's one less weekend of the experience. i go up fri (if work allows), sat, sat evening (fireworks), then to the main race Sun.

people always bitch about the traffic, which made absolute zero sense to me. it's not like the race dates are announced a week in advance. plus, the different traffic patterns for a race last around 4 total hours. when i didn't live in the area, half of the fun was sitting in traffic, single direction on 115S while everyone around you was getting hammered. I'm south of the track now though and there is zero traffic to get in, so i don't get to experience it anymore (no complaints). 

2 hours ago, Schif said:

I don't think there is a second one. If I recall, they decided to run both races in the same weekend this year. This was before all of the Corona stuff too.

Interesting article pasted below. Explains why they decided to push for the Doubleheader  this year. One of the reasons seems to be that they can get two races in on one weekend and then NBC can have a few weeks off from NASCAR to air the Olympics. With the Olympics cancelled and NASCAR seeming to be trying to come back one would think that they can go back to the status quo of doing two races on two weekends, but with no fans what's the point of doing that? 

The decisions behind all the sports leagues right now is fascinating. 

https://beyondtheflag.com/2019/03/30/nascar-cup-series-why-did-pocono-raceway-doubleheader/

I find it very interesting that the olympics is shut down while NASCAR is trying to get back up and running ASAP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schif said:

I don't think there is a second one. If I recall, they decided to run both races in the same weekend this year. This was before all of the Corona stuff too.

Interesting article pasted below. Explains why they decided to push for the Doubleheader  this year. One of the reasons seems to be that they can get two races in on one weekend and then NBC can have a few weeks off from NASCAR to air the Olympics. With the Olympics cancelled and NASCAR seeming to be trying to come back one would think that they can go back to the status quo of doing two races on two weekends, but with no fans what's the point of doing that? 

The decisions behind all the sports leagues right now is fascinating. 

https://beyondtheflag.com/2019/03/30/nascar-cup-series-why-did-pocono-raceway-doubleheader/

I find it very interesting that the olympics is shut down while NASCAR is trying to get back up and running ASAP. 

• Like 1

Just now, Justo8484 said:

I mean it makes sense. NASCAR is realistically a handful of participants and support staff and realistically they are all distanced from each other for the most part.  Plus keeping these few hundred people together as they travel from place to place and isolated from the general population won't be that hard. 

The Olympics to me seems like literally the opposite of what you should do during a global pandemic. Gathering hundreds of thousands of people from across the globe in a relatively small space, having a decent amount of them sweat all over each other and then in two weeks disperse them all back from whence they came?  Perhaps not ideal for curbing the spread of a global virus. 

1 hour ago, Benm said:

yeah they announced this last year. businesses were already throwing a fit because it cut revenues basically in half, now it looks like the outcome will be even worse. other people (like me), were pissed because it's one less weekend of the experience. i go up fri (if work allows), sat, sat evening (fireworks), then to the main race Sun.

people always bitch about the traffic, which made absolute zero sense to me. it's not like the race dates are announced a week in advance. plus, the different traffic patterns for a race last around 4 total hours. when i didn't live in the area, half of the fun was sitting in traffic, single direction on 115S while everyone around you was getting hammered. I'm south of the track now though and there is zero traffic to get in, so i don't get to experience it anymore (no complaints). 

yeah, hotels, food, shit like that gets really cut in half with just one weekend.   Businesses will feel that, but the people that dont see the race track being a benefit to their economy will be doing back flips.  Honestly, they have the traffic thing figured out at Pocono.  its like the easiest track to get in and out of for the race.  Dover is a disaster, and add in shore traffic it becomes a disaster with a nightmare-ish twist.  

Most people in the Poconos are too stupid to be able to figure out how to avoid the race track for 2 weekends out of the year.  It must be in their path to the Walmart, and they cant figure out how to get to the Walmart using other roads, and going to Walmart is a must for them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

Well, they raced at Rockingham, NC, which is like centrally located to probably 90% of the race teams shops.  I'm not exactly sure when the teams showed up, but they just showed up to race.  No practices, no qualifying, no fans. Minimal crew, as i saw the engineers that were usually at the track were back at their shops hooked up to laptops and other stuff to communicate with.  So really, most people could have just showed up Sunday morning, no flights, no renting hotel rooms, etc.  I do know they ran the cars through tech, but i dont know if that was Saturday or Sunday Am.  Usually this is a whole weekend full of stuff.    

Not that Nascar can go on forever not having people at the track buying tickets, shirts, corn dogs and funnel cake, but can the Olympics be held without an audience?  Is it worth doing?  Also, i have no idea if the Nascar crews are flown to other tracks commercially, or privately.  I know the drivers fly private planes.  I dont know how i would feel right now about having to fly on a commercial plane.  

2 hours ago, Benm said:

Are they no longer doing an IndyCar event at Pocono?  

yeah, hotels, food, shit like that gets really cut in half with just one weekend.   Businesses will feel that, but the people that dont see the race track being a benefit to their economy will be doing back flips.  Honestly, they have the traffic thing figured out at Pocono.  its like the easiest track to get in and out of for the race.  Dover is a disaster, and add in shore traffic it becomes a disaster with a nightmare-ish twist.  
Most people in the Poconos are too stupid to be able to figure out how to avoid the race track for 2 weekends out of the year.  It must be in their path to the Walmart, and they cant figure out how to get to the Walmart using other roads, and going to Walmart is a must for them.

Its amazes me that there are so many people living here...in an environment conducive to spending time outdoors (hiking, biking, skiing everywhere) that never go anywhere. I truly believe that they just like to complain.

I got stuck in that traffic my first year living here and realized that there are alternate routes everywhere. Lesson learned. No big deal. A few years later, I had to go up to Mt Pocono for something...waited to leave until after the race started and drove right through, right up past the main entrance and could see the cars speed by through one of the openings about 50 or 100 feet from me. It was just a blur, and coupled with the engine sound, was one of the neatest fucking things I've seen. Been inside on the infield but never for a race so that was cool.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Its amazes me that there are so many people living here...in an environment conducive to spending time outdoors (hiking, biking, skiing everywhere) that never go anywhere. I truly believe that they just like to complain.

People are ridiculous. They say there's nothing to do around Hazleton, so I ask them what do they want that's not here? Usually they say "the beach". There are so many places to bike, hike, ski, golf, fish, and hunt.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I got stuck in that traffic my first year living here and realized that there are alternate routes everywhere. Lesson learned. No big deal. A few years later, I had to go up to Mt Pocono for something...waited to leave until after the race started and drove right through, right up past the main entrance and could see the cars speed by through one of the openings about 50 or 100 feet from me. It was just a blur, and coupled with the engine sound, was one of the neatest fucking things I've seen. Been inside on the infield but never for a race so that was cool.

People are sheep. The one time at the allentown fair traffic in Allentown was backed up on tilghman Street and 15th when everybody was leaving. Nobody thinks oh maybe take 14th or 16th Street. Dumbdickmotherfuckers.  I saw that carbon county only had 62,000 people.  That’s like half of Allentown’s population. 

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

People are ridiculous. They say there's nothing to do around Hazleton, so I ask them what do they want that's not here? Usually they say "the beach". There are so many places to bike, hike, ski, golf, fish, and hunt.

Plus you get snow in October and May..I swear hazleton is colder than parts of Canada and higher than Tommy Chong

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

People are sheep. The one time at the allentown fair traffic in Allentown was backed up on tilghman Street and 15th when everybody was leaving. Nobody thinks oh maybe take 14th or 16th Street. Dumbdickmotherfuckers.  I saw that carbon county only had 62,000 people.  That’s like half of Allentown’s population. 

That's probably grown 8k to 10k people since 2005.

This is probably for another thread but it's mindblowing how many people around here think skiing is some outrageous activity meant for the crazies. The news doesn't help either when they show a 5 day forecast and act as if we're all fucked when there are cold temps or if there's snow in the forecast. Meanwhile in ski country weather people are on air all stoked and shit. I really like it here but I can't wait to go.

4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

That's probably grown 8k to 10k people since 2005.

This is probably for another thread but it's mindblowing how many people around here think skiing is some outrageous activity meant for the crazies. The news doesn't help either when they show a 5 day forecast and act as if we're all fucked when there are cold temps or if there's snow in the forecast. Meanwhile in ski country weather people are on air all stoked and shit. I really like it here but I can't wait to go.

The way most of us ski the average person would think we’re crazies. Being an avid skier has a pretty high barrier to entry but a high return on investment.  Most of the people on PASR grew up skiing or had friends get them into it.  To just start as a young or middle aged adult from scratch not that easy. 

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The way most of us ski the average person would think we’re crazies. Being an avid skier has a pretty high barrier to entry but a high return on investment.  Most of the people on PASR grew up skiing or had friends get them into it.  To just start as a young or middle aged adult from scratch not that easy. 

Take it to the ski thread.

• Like 1

The way most of us ski the average person would think we’re crazies.  

This is true. Most people at Blue, including ski patrol, probably think we're nuts. One minute you see normal people skiing down whatever trail, the next you see a flash of lightning coming down that same trail, usually led by a guy wearing orange pants or another guy wearing a tealish / pinkish jacket.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1