Colorado Road Trip - Telluride, Silverton, Crested Butte, Aspen

AtomicSkier

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Must be titties deep in CB. 

It was very deep ... they report 5" and their cams were almost 8" by the time they opened.  The one sign said 12".  It was certainly over 8" on the hill.  The wind was blowing pretty hard which made it down to hardpack in some places, and extremely deep/heavy in other places.  I skied for an hour and got untracked every run, with *very* light crowds.  I was shocked how empty it was.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

It was very deep ... they report 5" and their cams were almost 8" by the time they opened.  The one sign said 12".  It was certainly over 8" on the hill.  The wind was blowing pretty hard which made it down to hardpack in some places, and extremely deep/heavy in other places.  I skied for an hour and got untracked every run, with *very* light crowds.  I was shocked how empty it was.

I looked at the webcams and looked really empty. 

15 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

It was a great way to end the trip. Snow report listed 5” but the sign at the lift said a foot of fresh snow. Depending on where you were with the wind, it was both. Took the 830 bus and there was a little crowd for the Silver Queen lift. On the lift shortly after 9 and went down paradise to the paradise lift. Little wind blown on top but boot deep fresh in spots lower. Down it again to Lower Treasury which had untouched snow. Wasn’t the lightest snow and made you work but it was grate.

Down something else to SQL and said byes to @AtomicSkier. Kept lapping woods, bumps, and packed pow until my legs hurt. Pretty much stayed Horseshoe to international area down to SLQ with occasional runs to Paradise lift. Caught the 115 back and the roads in down were already dry.

Had a ton of fun and my legs are worked. It was a good day.

B93B00CB-6F62-4DE6-B13A-8029FACED1FE.jpeg

C5D5C171-17C7-4731-BD5B-33A30D1EB912.jpeg

C85B3651-5C1D-4783-A621-8B8FDE0C1216.jpeg

E985DB3B-48C9-497C-A6AB-2FF16BCB71D1.jpeg

73FD9AFA-FFE1-41BC-A7D9-325A0783D078.jpeg

35429034-EECA-4BC9-90BD-5278EA7AB54F.jpeg

4FF41974-3399-448A-AA0B-CC680C3B2AE7.jpeg

1B477D42-811B-4742-BCB4-A018C2822653.jpeg

Nice report...thanks for all the stats and pictures.  

3 minutes ago, Barb said:

I think the fireplace usage since @mute1080 has been there has exceeded the rent I charged @AtomicSkier for the month. 

Barb so it’s all hooked up to your smartphone?  Gas fireplace not with logs.  If I stayed at your place I’d probably use like two lights and definitely no fireplace.  I would make use of your bearskin blanket 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Gas fireplace and I can’t control that. But I can view and control heat from my app. Maybe I will turn the heat way down tonight while they are sleeping just to mess with them. 😈

Edited by Barb
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Barb said:

Gas fireplace and I can’t control that. But I can view and control heat from my app. Maybe I will turn the heat way down tonight while they are sleeping just to mess with them. 😈

I turn off the heat when I sleep. 64 degrees is my favorite temperature in case you were curious.  I hope there’s not a teddy bear on the mantle with a blinking eye.  Yeah a nanny cam lol

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Completely irrelevant to skiing, but what did you average for MPG on the way out there and back? 

The best I saw was my final tank coming home, where I was up at 31.4mpg, despite driving just as fast, but more aggresssively?  My worst was going across Kansas on the way out there, where it was down at 26.5mpg.  For comparison I was at 28.5 across Kansas coming home.  Overall, my fuel economy was better east of the Mississippi both directions.  Probably a combination of lower elevation and slightly lower speed limits.

Overall was high 28s with the roof box on.  Not bad.  I will usually do 30-31mpg without the box on.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

The best I saw was my final tank coming home, where I was up at 31.4mpg, despite driving just as fast, but more aggresssively?  My worst was going across Kansas on the way out there, where it was down at 26.5mpg.  For comparison I was at 28.5 across Kansas coming home.  Overall, my fuel economy was better east of the Mississippi both directions.  Probably a combination of lower elevation and slightly lower speed limits.

Overall was high 28s with the roof box on.  Not bad.  I will usually do 30-31mpg without the box on.

Maybe the Jet Stream helped you out..lol

• Boner City 1

I always thought that flights or drives home from west to east were quicker because of the rotation of the Earth. In other words when going west to east the Earth is spinning the opposite way from the direction you're moving...thereby saving you time and doing you a solid. When going east to west it takes longer because you're going with the Earth's rotation, therefore taking longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

I always thought that flights or drives home from west to east were quicker because of the rotation of the Earth. In other words when going west to east the Earth is spinning the opposite way from the direction you're moving...thereby saving you time and doing you a solid. When going east to west it takes longer because you're going with the Earth's rotation, therefore taking longer.

For flying the jet stream helps from west to east but for driving..a big no.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich