2/25…PASR day…cold..snowmaking.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from another fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot at 7:15am and in the house were PARidge, JFDan, Atomic Jeff, Mute, BenM,  Ryan, Boo Bear, Becky Boo, Nancy, Schifdawg, MBike Mike, Nastar Glenn, Bethlehem Ford Crew, Dirtwolf, VTMark, TP4 and many others.  

It was in the low 20s under overcast sky’s and they were blowing snow on Coming soon, Paradise, Nightmare-Dreamweaver, Skytop, Tuts Lane, Lazy Mile, Main Street, Burma and some other runs not noted.  It was an all out snowmaking assault operation Blizzard 2.0 in full affect.  

Second civilian OG six pack and first run on Challenge which was alright..consistent hardpack snow but a little rolly Polly, the random gun after the falls was blowing out decent snow.   Next run on switchback was very pleasant until the Main Street merge which had guns blasting followed by a slick spot and just kind of messy.  Coming soon had the best snow on the hill and you could avoid the snowguns by staying right..lower paradise had guns blasting and various whoop Dee doos and root rollers..right side better than left.  

I repeated Switchback and it got much rougher with deep sugar, coming soon stayed good and the top head wall of challenge showed exposed boilerplate, middle section was good and a big death cookie after the falls would have sent me ass over teakettle if I wasn’t such an agile mofo. My foot was bugging me on lift rides a little but on the ski runs not bad.  

Fun parking lot with beer, chips, cheeseballs(both human and food), beef sticks and Girl Scout cookies.  Was a cold lot and after a few minutes I needed my gloves.  All in all a tiny bit better than expected but expectations were low.  I think tomorrow AM will be decent once they groom In all the new manmade snow.  JADIP

FDC35A6C-03A2-4C3F-8CB4-3D2CE826EBE8.jpeg

CCC21162-982D-4EE5-B96F-1025FB3C7053.jpeg

013885EE-FFAD-4D44-9DB3-163B12E7BF84.jpeg

BAB6471E-943A-46A5-A916-171A99218645.jpeg

• Like 3

Today was great early on. Then the snow got sorta weird and the crowds became large. Around 9ish no matter where you went someone was there in front of you. Not bad overall however. Good to see snowmaking all over. Even a few natural flakes fell from the sky today. And as GSS mentioned...CS was the run of the day and has been the run of the year for me, night or day it's been fairly consistent.

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

What happened to your foot ? 

Good to hear they are going whole hog

Maybe some sort of sprain but whatever it is, it’s healing fast..I have a little bit of a limp but the other day I was hobbling around and almost went to foot doctor. I know you had bad foot issues for many months after your injury…you still slutted it up with two different sized boots.  Game recognize game.  Reminds me of when I hurt my shoulder bad enough to go to the ER and was put on a sling and a few days later was back out for Nastar fueled by weed and Vicodin..and ended up crashing and taking out the timing laser.  Cool story Hansel. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Maybe some sort of sprain but whatever it is, it’s healing fast..I have a little bit of a limp but the other day I was hobbling around and almost went to foot doctor. I know you had bad foot issues for many months after your injury…you still slutted it up with two different sized boots.  Game recognize game.  Reminds me of when I hurt my shoulder bad enough to go to the ER and was put on a sling and a few days later was back out for Nastar fueled by weed and Vicodin..and ended up crashing and taking out the timing laser.  Cool story Hansel. 

Hope it’s not plantar fasciitis, been dealing with that for a few years now and that shit SUCKS. 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t think it is, but a lot of the google searches go to that.  Have you purchased more supportive shoes because of it?  

Yup. The last time I was in the podiatry office the doctor suggested new balance foam sole based shoes and I’ve had 3-4 pairs of them over the last 4 years and they seem to help immensely. anything with a slimmer sole or flat sole hurts the hell out of my foot after a few hours. 

• Like 1

i felt like i was waiting for things to go sideways at any second while skiing today.  The early run on Switch was really good, but again, just not knowing exactly how the transition onto Lower Main was gonna treat you kept me kind of tentative.  i would rather ski goofy shit like today, than not ski at all, but my rating for today would be pretty low.  i will take it though, with all the guns they had going to put down snow.  take the good with the bad.  way busier today than i thought it would be.  

lots of state police, 2 Dept of Conservation trucks, Paramedic, 2 ambulances, and 2 fire trucks.  not sure what was going on there.  Maybe policeman/firemans day off on the slopes?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i felt like i was waiting for things to go sideways at any second while skiing today.  The early run on Switch was really good, but again, just not knowing exactly how the transition onto Lower Main was gonna treat you kept me kind of tentative.  i would rather ski goofy shit like today, than not ski at all, but my rating for today would be pretty low.  i will take it though, with all the guns they had going to put down snow.  take the good with the bad.  way busier today than i thought it would be.  

lots of state police, 2 Dept of Conservation trucks, Paramedic, 2 ambulances, and 2 fire trucks.  not sure what was going on there.  Maybe policeman/firemans day off on the slopes?

Someone must have been fishing in the snowmaking ponds without a license and also fell in and needed rescue 🥶😵💫

Edited by DiMe
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Blue has one of the largest snowmaking systems in the northeast and @saltyant was saying the snowmaking ponds are full of water.  

I saw they were salting razors edge on Friday to harden the slope. From what I can see, when the salt melts a pound of snow, it can lower the temperature of an adjacent 9.4 pounds of snow by 14°F. FWIW. 

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

I saw they were salting razors edge on Friday to harden the slope. From what I can see, when the salt melts a pound of snow, it can lower the temperature of an adjacent 9.4 pounds of snow by 14°F. FWIW. 

Wow that’s crazy..I remember mammoth used to salt some of their runs to prolong things. 

ROTD was running gunpow laps in the TCS ditch, worked up an appetite for BMDI bacon egg and pepper jack with tots on a Kaiser for the ride home3721DFAF-6747-4ABD-B274-54BB1F2A1560.thumb.jpeg.53b3bf56546764df9e8263d741d2e9c6.jpeg

On the ride up I saw a badaass camper a few cars ahead but I turned off on Grouse. It ended up in the lot across the street and had to check it out on the way out

D8FAF072-320A-4455-BA5F-B2E994B47397.jpeg

B48D844F-3062-450A-A976-E4E856D60D40.jpeg

775ADC33-EC3B-4CB2-A818-4023317BFCA9.jpeg

Edited by mbike-ski
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

ROTD was running gunpow laps in the TCS ditch, worked up an appetite for BMDI bacon egg and pepper jack with tots on a Kaiser for the ride home3721DFAF-6747-4ABD-B274-54BB1F2A1560.thumb.jpeg.53b3bf56546764df9e8263d741d2e9c6.jpeg

On the ride up I saw a badaass camper a few cars ahead but I turned off on Grouse. It ended up in the lot across the street and had to check it out on the way out

D8FAF072-320A-4455-BA5F-B2E994B47397.jpeg

B48D844F-3062-450A-A976-E4E856D60D40.jpeg

775ADC33-EC3B-4CB2-A818-4023317BFCA9.jpeg

I stayed until around 3 today with my cousin. The guys in that awesome camper had a huge tailgate going completely surrounding that machine. 

Lines never really got long except for when the new 6 stopped for a decent amount of time. The line for the cocktail truck was pretty big though. 

Today was Pops triumphant return to slopes after his fall busted his knee up a couple weeks ago and we put in a pretty decent session then visit Last Run Lounge for an hour or so before picking the boys up from Adventure Camp.

Super variable conditions all over the mountain but tried to find the best of it wherever we went. 

Pizza party tomorrow..

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 1