Today

saltyant

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think the park scene is dying out.  15-20 years ago it was huge with terrain parks and half pipes at even little ski areas.  Big boulder was an almost all park mountain.  I think a lot of the JibHonks have grown up and either don’t ski anymore or keep their skis on the snow.  When blue first opened a terrain park, it was called a snowboard park and I believe snowboarders only.  

It's evolving.  The male pros have become hard to watch.  Competition went from style to regimented super strict olympic type training spinning to win to the point you can't even count the rotations on the tricks anymore.  Air bag training and such has become almost a requirement.  No longer can you be that grungy park rat from New Jersey or Rutland and climb the ranks like days of old.

New things have come to fruition like Natural Selections and such we can't  really relate to on the East Coast. Female XGames and Olympics have become the ones to watch because you can still tell what tricks they're doing.

Rail Jams and that type of park and or events seem to have grown in popularity over the halfpipe and slopestyle days past.  

Times have also changed where far more kids play on their phones and PCs than play outside.  It seems to be making a bit of a come back though.  Big Snow is a big boost to this region for the park scene.  It will be interesting to see which direction it goes, going forward.

Edited by DiMe
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That is dope..when blue builds their water park, it will be sweet if the non snitch paints a mural next to the wave pool. 

That would be rad. Blue should give us free water park admission with our season pass for playing ski. Camelback gave me a pass for Camelbeach several years ago. Never went but the plastic card looked cool.

47 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That would be rad. Blue should give us free water park admission with our season pass for playing ski. Camelback gave me a pass for Camelbeach several years ago. Never went but the plastic card looked cool.

@saltyant I’m really good at water slides and I pee in the lazy river..

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

I should try riding park tomorrow at Blue. Do they have a park open?

Dont know if your being serious or sarcastic but tomorrow is day 1 for Come Around and Central Park.  Barbs Way has been a super fun rail garden.  As for tomorrow..... I'd suggest a weekday to really enjoy it.

It used to fun watching all the kids do tricks, critique each other, and try new things. Unfortunately, it’s become a sport of the rich. Mommy and Daddy can afford to send you to Windells for the summer, get you private coaches, and buy you new skis/ snowboard every season because the rails tear them up. 

4 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

It used to fun watching all the kids do tricks, critique each other, and try new things. Unfortunately, it’s become a sport of the rich. Mommy and Daddy can afford to send you to Windells for the summer, get you private coaches, and buy you new skis/ snowboard every season because the rails tear them up. 

Become?  Skiing has always been a rich people sport. While most of us aren’t rich, we make it a priority so maybe spend less money on other stuff.  If people want to get to an elite level at any sport it takes a lot of money for instruction.  The kids going to Windells every summer are the minority.  People like Papasteeze kids lol

18 hours ago, DiMe said:

It's evolving.  The male pros have become hard to watch.  Competition went from style to regimented super strict olympic type training spinning to win to the point you can't even count the rotations on the tricks anymore.  Air bag training and such has become almost a requirement.  No longer can you be that grungy park rat from New Jersey or Rutland and climb the ranks like days of old.

New things have come to fruition like Natural Selections and such we can't  really relate to on the East Coast. Female XGames and Olympics have become the ones to watch because you can still tell what tricks they're doing.

Rail Jams and that type of park and or events seem to have grown in popularity over the halfpipe and slopestyle days past.  

Times have also changed where far more kids play on their phones and PCs than play outside.  It seems to be making a bit of a come back though.  Big Snow is a big boost to this region for the park scene.  It will be interesting to see which direction it goes, going forward.

I still say the trick with the most steeze on skis is still a massive 180, I loved park skiing for like a decade, I still love to watch Casabon, Harlut etc etc but the spin to win stuff just screams aerials to me and that shit while very impressive is like the least cool thing ever. It's just diving with more hassle. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I still say the trick with the most steeze on skis is still a massive 180, I loved park skiing for like a decade, I still love to watch Casabon, Harlut etc etc but the spin to win stuff just screams aerials to me and that shit while very impressive is like the least cool thing ever. It's just diving with more hassle. 

I agree I'll take a nice slow big aired 360 styled out over 1800's anyday.  I think most freestyle minded skiers and riders feel similar but still respect the crazy dedication and hard work it takes to achieve big comp glory today.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

What do you think about mogul skiers now doing aerials.  Used to be that a good mogul skier from the Midwest  with a few tricks up their sleeve like a daffy, spread eagle, backscratcher and helicopter could drive out to Squaw valley and meet up with other hot doggers and dominate the scene.  Then Johnny Mosely came along and hosting the real world/road rules challenge selling fake Ray Bans..and then Sean White comes along, hate it or love it the underdog is on top..so I’m a fan..and Danny Kass straight out of jersey.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What do you think about mogul skiers now doing aerials.  Used to be that a good mogul skier from the Midwest  with a few tricks up their sleeve like a daffy, spread eagle, backscratcher and helicopter could drive out to Squaw valley and meet up with other hot doggers and dominate the scene.  Then Johnny Mosely came along and hosting the real world/road rules challenge selling fake Ray Bans..and then Sean White comes along, hate it or love it the underdog is on top..so I’m a fan..and Danny Kass straight out of jersey.  

Mogul skiing is cool and I feel is alot more centered around actual skiing than aerials. Again it's impressive and requires lots of skill but it's more like diving in the winter. 

A good mogul run is cool to watch and gets you stoked, even in the Olympics aerials are impressive but I feel no stoke to ski. 

I skied with him years ago at Snowmass, he absolutely destroyed moguls like he's to the downhill ski before you can blink but not a big high speed carver guy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Mogul skiing is cool and I feel is alot more centered around actual skiing than aerials. Again it's impressive and requires lots of skill but it's more like diving in the winter. 

A good mogul run is cool to watch and gets you stoked, even in the Olympics aerials are impressive but I feel no stoke to ski. 

I skied with him years ago at Snowmass, he absolutely destroyed moguls like he's to the downhill ski before you can blink but not a big high speed carver guy.  

It all went to shit when they began seeding the bump runs.  The old natural bump runs where there was no real line or jumps was where creativity and skill excelled.   You had to pick your way through the bumps, picking a good one to launch a trick and lane back into the random bumps.

Not that these latest bumpers aren’t remarkable in their own right, ripping them at full speed and send some gymnastics off the jumps, but it’s just too rigid and took the “Hot Dog” and much of the fun out of it.

When mogul comps were Tits McGee…

https://youtu.be/9mYyvdTK0Cc?si=lKAkCoZQEkGPNTMh

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, indiggio said:

It all went to shit when they began seeding the bump runs.  The old natural bump runs where there was no real line or jumps was where creativity and skill excelled.   You had to pick your way through the bumps, picking a good one to launch a trick and lane back into the random bumps.

Not that these latest bumpers aren’t remarkable in their own right, ripping them at full speed and send some gymnastics off the jumps, but it’s just too rigid and took the “Hot Dog” and much of the fun out of it.

When mogul comps were Tits McGee…

https://youtu.be/9mYyvdTK0Cc?si=lKAkCoZQEkGPNTMh

I don't know what i like better, the skiing, the computer graphics, the fashion or the music. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Still love watching Tom Wallisch. What style. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Become?  Skiing has always been a rich people sport. While most of us aren’t rich, we make it a priority so maybe spend less money on other stuff.  If people want to get to an elite level at any sport it takes a lot of money for instruction.  The kids going to Windells every summer are the minority.  People like Papasteeze kids lol

I started skiing 20 years ago, and believe me, it was a lot more affordable then. You could always find a deal- Men’s day, woman’s day, buy one, get one, college discounts. It sure  wasn’t anywhere near the price it is now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Way old but the still watch this, pure filth

https://youtu.be/vhHBr7bjyVA?si=EhBJ1GduE9ekTCeB

I remember cruising through Breck's central park one time we were out there and just rolling over the giant booter landings that are fucking steep and big as shit!
The people going off these have brass cojones the size of bowling balls!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I started skiing 20 years ago, and believe me, it was a lot more affordable then. You could always find a deal- Men’s day, woman’s day, buy one, get one, college discounts. It sure  wasn’t anywhere near the price it is now. 

I think what I hate most about modern skiing is they turned it so corporate, it's all a business for the most part. Most of the ogs who went out and had the vision to see a ski mtn weren't primarily interested in turning a profit and it shows. Vail decided let's see what the market will accept and bam its 200$ a person just for the ticket. The sport and culture of skiing would lose so much including its core soul if it's a rich person's only sport. I ski alot at DV and 95% of them are not skiers, they are there to be seen or to take pics for the gram and mostly truly because they see it as an status symbol of wealth. It's so lame and for 392822842 reasons the exact opposite of what it's all about. 

• Like 9