Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

5 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

KSL will temporarily let us use our passes at camelback in December as blue will have a delayed opening*

*I doubt this will happen, and have zero proof.  But in case it does happen, I need a paper trail

Nice we can all meet at barley creek brewery after skiing the camel for beers as camelback doesn’t allow tailgating.  

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’m gonna check out the menu and hours of operation.  I might even buy enjo a Mexican Coca Cola.

If opening day is at Camelback instead of Blue that will be so rad. We can all ski Honeymoon 51 times in a row and take a 30 minute lunch break at the picnic tables to munch on sugar cookies and drink free hot cocoas.

Edited by saltyant
  • Boner City 1

1 hour ago, NMSKI said:

Heat's on in my house.  Gave up this morning on "no heat 'til November".  

What did it get down to?

I feel like i can usually hold out longer, i tend to keep the house on the cooler side anyways, but even i gave up weeks ago.  I do wish we had a little longer "open windows" season.  seems like i had the AC off for like 3 days before i turned the heat on.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

What did it get down to?

I feel like i can usually hold out longer, i tend to keep the house on the cooler side anyways, but even i gave up weeks ago.  I do wish we had a little longer "open windows" season.  seems like i had the AC off for like 3 days before i turned the heat on.  

It was 57 in the house this morning.  We've made it through worse before, but my wife had to work from home today and I felt bad that she'd have to freeze all day.  Would have been no problem if we were both at work all day.  Just throw on a sweater and sit under a blanket in the evening.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

It was 57 in the house this morning.  We've made it through worse before, but my wife had to work from home today and I felt bad that she'd have to freeze all day.  Would have been no problem if we were both at work all day.  Just throw on a sweater and sit under a blanket in the evening.  

i turned my heat on when i came home and my bedroom was 55.  like i said, i like it cool, but that was chilly.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Heat's on in my house.  Gave up this morning on "no heat 'til November".  

We turned ours on a day or two ago. Ngl my fingers were crossed that it'd actually work. 

I then realized heating oil is at 5.60/gal, so it's set to 60deg. Kero to supplement if super cold. 

20 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Buy electric heaters 😁

Minisplit heat pumps are good too. 

Already told wife -- we have 3/4 tank. If things dont drop price wise, I'm buying electric heaters. House is small and it'd be much cheaper than forced air heat whatever one calls it. 

45 minutes ago, Benm said:

Already told wife -- we have 3/4 tank. If things dont drop price wise, I'm buying electric heaters. House is small and it'd be much cheaper than forced air heat whatever one calls it. 

Oil forced air really sucks and is inefficient , if you have AC with it you’re better off taking out the AC and putting in a heat pump and making the oil back up heat. 

• Like 1

Have oil furnace hot water baseboard and furnace is my hot water. Just got tank filled at $5.69/ gallon 2 days ago. Have solar panels that feed back to Met-Ed when producing, haven't paid Met Ed since March (pay solar panel company though monthly). Refuse to turn heat on, have 2 space heaters that heat the house just fine. Figure the solar panel credits from Met Ed will cover the costs for space heaters. Will be looking at heat pump to replace A/C unit after January 1 when the Biden BS inflation reduction act puts in tax credits for heat pumps. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mgguy said:

Have oil furnace hot water baseboard and furnace is my hot water. Just got tank filled at $5.69/ gallon 2 days ago. Have solar panels that feed back to Met-Ed when producing, haven't paid Met Ed since March (pay solar panel company though monthly). Refuse to turn heat on, have 2 space heaters that heat the house just fine. Figure the solar panel credits from Met Ed will cover the costs for space heaters. Will be looking at heat pump to replace A/C unit after January 1 when the Biden BS inflation reduction act puts in tax credits for heat pumps. 

Furnace is forced air boiler is hot water , big difference in efficiency!

Heat pumps are definitely more efficient than they used to be. Solar I’m not to familiar with as far as PV , I have a customer who installed a couple years ago and said if he had it to do over again he wouldn’t. He didn’t do a good job of elaborating. He has a Geothermal unit with a very shallow piping system in his yard that was done in the early 80’s ( not too efficient) 

Natural gas is still cheap if it’s available. UGI offers a $1,500.00 rebate for Combi units ( Domestic water and heat) 

The wife wanted to go solar to be more Green. My electric bills pre solar averaged around $130 per month. I pay the solar company $84 per month (and will own the panels in a lot of years}. I haven't paid an electric bill to Met Ed since March, carry a credit each month of roughly $80 to $100 per month from feeding electric generation back to Met Ed each month. My net savings per month is around $50. 3 year history with them and this is pretty consistent. Pretty happy with that. Figure the winter may result in a bit of an electric bill running space heaters. All in all a win. Looking to add one more small space heater for my daughter's room for at night. Hind sight being 20/20 should have put in the heat pump 2 years ago when we upgraded the AC unit. At current prices biting the bullet and upgrading to heat pump has a 3 year payback before any tax credits next year. A discussion to have with my accountant in January or February.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mgguy said:

The wife wanted to go solar to be more Green. My electric bills pre solar averaged around $130 per month. I pay the solar company $84 per month (and will own the panels in a lot of years}. I haven't paid an electric bill to Met Ed since March, carry a credit each month of roughly $80 to $100 per month from feeding electric generation back to Met Ed each month. My net savings per month is around $50. 3 year history with them and this is pretty consistent. Pretty happy with that. Figure the winter may result in a bit of an electric bill running space heaters. All in all a win. Looking to add one more small space heater for my daughter's room for at night. Hind sight being 20/20 should have put in the heat pump 2 years ago when we upgraded the AC unit. At current prices biting the bullet and upgrading to heat pump has a 3 year payback before any tax credits next year. A discussion to have with my accountant in January or February.

How much is a heat pump?

10 minutes ago, mgguy said:

The quote I have now is $4,800. Not a firm quote as just called and asked for a general price. We have a rancher single floor with finished basement. The new AC was $5,000 so a hit.

New indoor and outdoor units? Or just change outdoor? A new indoor unit should match up. What Brand? 

On 10/18/2022 at 10:44 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah Killington has been making snow.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they open this weekend.  Maybe Friday for season pass holders and saturdays be Sunday for the general public.  Wow just wow people in Vermont still read the farmers almanac.  Anyway thanks for checking in SallyCat, I’ll be sure to bump some of your old posts from time to time. 

They get an A for effort.  Glad i didnt rearrange any plans to go skiing last week. 

image.thumb.png.f84a8efb7c10a9e5d952da55d51c287e.png

• Haha 1