First Gear Purchase for 2012/2013 Season

Ride Delaware ?

Dude the last foot of the ski is nothing but carbon and edge !!

They will be light and super fast, now it seems if you hit something they would be dead but they are alot smarter than me so if they have the durability thing under control this will be a minor evolution in how we make skis.

Hopefully the volkl rep will have a pair in April and I'll let you know what I think.

Crazy construction even Stephen Drake ain't making skis like this.

Shit on my to be replaced list.

Skis: Nordica Jet Fuel - Love this ski, wish it was longer. I think I smell Bacon, however I'm open to suggestions/deals.

Jacket: Too big, not happy with pocket layout.

Pants: Same a jacket, plus there's a rip in the crotch on the inside.

Helmet: Want better audio intergration

You used to be a ski tester right? I need to try out Volkyls never been on a pair and also try out the rockered skis..seems best in chopped up powder..

I was never a tester, I'm an official mooch who happens to have access to a bunch of shit about a month before most people.

Try a fun shape, maybe one of the short chargers. DPS 112RPC, Rossi Squad 7, JJ, etc

They have traditional camber underfoot and tend to be pretty good carvers, in the upper teens low 20's radius, the rocker and pintailsh tails make them good in the pow, a stiffer shovel and torsion box (22oz triax with carbon or even better carbon stringers) is conventionally thought to be what you need for crud or chop. Essentially rocker to float you over the variation of chop and enough stiffness to power through.

A caveat though is that they are kinda funny to ski, they have narrowish balance points and they can get really weird on hardpack. The pintail will want to hook and put you down if you get too far in the back seat and the reverse nature of the sidecut on the tips and tails means if they aren't detuned or you really get on the ski they will reverse carve. Essentially the two skis shoot off in opposite directions.

Personally I think the Belafonte route is the way to go for a crud, chop buster with good pow and hardpack performance. Basically its a conventional ski, camber under foot, no pin tail and has rocker and R/R only in the tip. Its stiff, like LP stiff, 25ish radius and wants you to work it.

I don't mean this in a bad way, my form is weird and certainly "wrong" in a PSIA sense but you like to tail gun so a fun shape pow boards with a pintail and lots of rocker is going to put you down or worse in the woods an awful lot.

Edited by Johnny Law

Tail gun???

Ride in the back seat.

AJ and JohnnyStyle ride PSIA perfect, forward aggressive, alota pressure on the tongues. They really flex the ski which allows them to make really nice short radius turns and transition really quick. They have racing style.

You ride with your weight further back more working the tails which gives a more caddy like ride but decreases your ability to make real short radius turns as there is less pressure on the ski in front of the bindings.

This isn't a knock, I have 1950's Dick Durance style with lots of upper body twisting and arms all over the place, I'm just saying when you pick a ski you got to pick something that works with the way you ski.

If AJ gets Katana's make him let you ride them in JH crud/chop, they are more in the belafonte style which I think is a better fit than a fun shape.

• Like 1

Bought a pair of Oakley crowbars last night for days when it's not bright enough out for my electrics. Too lazy to take a picture so here's a stock google picture. They have the blue/chrome iridium lens and I love them so far. Perfect for night time.

B3FC5BEA-8F24-46C2-A4D2-5F9598344381-165

Is light good? I figured heavier skis would plow through chop best.

That is the conventional wisdom, the Vwerks Katana is a different story. Carbon is very rigid, the ski therefore could be very light and still have lots of stiffness to power through crud. The conventional Katana is a pretty excellent crud/chop buster so one would think but maybe that isn't the case.

Hopefully the Volkl rep will have a pair in April and I'll let you know what the deal is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever had that problem....is this some kind of issue I've just somehow missed.....runners are weird

QFT....I'd let it hang out in the open to cool off while skiing if it was socially acceptable. How does anyone go running and still get cold in there?

If you're cold there, the rest of your body is probably frozen solid.

actually, it would be the other way around. they will freeze earlier than your body and that whole area is away from your body for a reason - to stay cooler.

I don't think I've ever had that problem....is this some kind of issue I've just somehow missed.....runners are weird

i've never had that issue when running in sub-freezing temps. this sounds like a sad excuse ripoff of the Tuggie.

http://www.spencersonline.com/product/pd-the-tuggie/

actually, it would be the other way around. they will freeze earlier than your body and that whole area is away from your body for a reason - to stay cooler.

That might be true standing naked outside. But I've never gotten off the hill to warm up the nads. Toes only.