First Gear Purchase for 2012/2013 Season

Ride Delaware ?

My next helmet prob will have a brim like the Teton gravity mags.

I don't know why all helmets don't have them, I have always had a visor and its useful for so many things.

This is going to sound stupid but hear me out, the best thing I've gotten recently is a hunk of plastic.

http://www.tognar.com/ski-visions-tuning-stick/

When using a belt sander or even the hand tuners its tough to tell what's sharp and how much, with this stupid plastic stick now you have a super simple way to measure what's sharp and how sharp. Its a truly elegant solution to a simple problem.

• Like 1

I love suspenders...can't stand pants falling down.

Me too, although I've thought about getting pants with a belt. Before i went with the higher pants/suspenders i would get snow down my ass when skiing/falling in deep powder. Not really a problem around here though.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bit the bullet today and upgraded boots. Coming from my first time boots that had entirely too much flex to a performance boot. Stopped in several stores but after some recommendations and proximity to my house I went over to Salters to get the fit done to see if the Dalbello boots they carry were right for me. After going through the fitting process where I was happy to find out I really didn't need many adjustments from stock as opposed to my wife who he said needed all the adjustments with orthotics and such, he put me into a boot that was still entirely too much flex but felt good. Next was a stiffer boot that felt awful when contacting my ankle. Third boot from the second I put it on just felt different than any other boot i've ever put on. The fit just felt perfect on the ankle contact points and such. After walking around the store for about an hour checking out the flex and features I decided this was the one I wanted.

So the winner is the

Dalbello Axion 11

55EDCF12-8C99-4F7F-8383-22FD2A3696A1.JPG

Little stiffer than I anticipated but it felt good and gives me a little more room to work into it. Thanks for all the advice from everyone on the site and at the mountain.

Link to features and such.

http://www.skis.com/Dalbello-Axion-11-Ski-Boots-2013/273236P,default,pd.html

Really had a good experience with the guy at Salters but the limited selection brands way may deter some if a Dalbello boot isn't right for your foot.

• Like 2

So I bit the bullet today and upgraded boots. Coming from my first time boots that had entirely too much flex to a performance boot. Stopped in several stores but after some recommendations and proximity to my house I went over to Salters to get the fit done to see if the Dalbello boots they carry were right for me. After going through the fitting process where I was happy to find out I really didn't need many adjustments from stock as opposed to my wife who he said needed all the adjustments with orthotics and such, he put me into a boot that was still entirely too much flex but felt good. Next was a stiffer boot that felt awful when contacting my ankle. Third boot from the second I put it on just felt different than any other boot i've ever put on. The fit just felt perfect on the ankle contact points and such. After walking around the store for about an hour checking out the flex and features I decided this was the one I wanted.

So the winner is the

Dalbello Axion 11

55EDCF12-8C99-4F7F-8383-22FD2A3696A1.JPG

Little stiffer than I anticipated but it felt good and gives me a little more room to work into it. Thanks for all the advice from everyone on the site and at the mountain.

Link to features and such.

http://www.skis.com/Dalbello-Axion-11-Ski-Boots-2013/273236P,default,pd.html

Really had a good experience with the guy at Salters but the limited selection brands way may deter some if a Dalbello boot isn't right for your foot.

Nice. I got a pair of boots at Salters 2 seasons ago and had a good experience over there as well. Had a little bit of a rough time with my toes breaking them in, but was able to get it figured out. They do an awesome job with the orthotics too. I'll be biting the bullet again soon though as well and going with something stiffer.

nice boots there vinny! did you get a custom footbed as well, or are you using the stock footbed?

In stock currently he said orthotics would be better but that my arch's and such didn't demand any real significant work or a need to go that route right now. For all intensive purposes im pretty much stock as far as measurements. He was all over the fact that my wife however needs orthotics heel adjustments, etc etc. Funny considering I was ready to pay for whatever work they saw necessary.

They guarantee the fit so if I notice issues ill be back.

In stock currently he said orthotics would be better but that my arch's and such didn't demand any real significant work or a need to go that route right now. For all intensive purposes im pretty much stock as far as measurements. He was all over the fact that my wife however needs orthotics heel adjustments, etc etc. Funny considering I was ready to pay for whatever work they saw necessary. They guarantee the fit so if I notice issues ill be back.

ya, that's probably a good idea to get a few ski days on the boots to break them in and see how everything feels. i wasn't so lucky...my feet and alignment suck so i needed the custom footbed and canting and a few other things to get the fit and aligment dialed in.

Oh geez... Volkl Kenjas, bright pink Rossi bindings for the Kenjas, Fischer Jr. race boots, goggles, new helmet, plaid ski pants, base layers...

It seems even worse now that it's typed out. I'd put the appropriate shameful emoticon here, but my phone sucks.

Damn!! Throwing it down. The whole kit. I thought trying to get new boots and a jacket/pant in a season was a lot.

The boots and helmet were much needed. The rest, probably not so much. Although, the rest were on sale for good prices. I think I'm cut off for a few seasons. The Kenjas came about from last week's demo day.

I'm waiting for Buckman's buy one get one for a dollar sale to get my new jacket/pants. As for ski's.... unforutnately that may be next season.

I'm waiting for Buckman's buy one get one for a dollar sale to get my new jacket/pants. As for ski's.... unforutnately that may be next season.

It's going on now, if it didn't end already. I was already in the one in reading looking at stuff. Too tough to find a good pant/jacket matchup in small haha

2013/2014 Line Catalog

http://news.lineskis.com/2013/01/30/line-20132014-the-future-is-now/

Vwerks Katana is 1100 MSRP but damn

"V-WERKS - THE POWER OF PERFECTION

Carbon, Aramid, »Powered by Titanium« – only the best will do for the
latest masterpiece from Völkl’s high tech skiworks. Like auto racing
engineers, we know that every gram matters for this series of exclusive
models. We’ve pushed for the greatest possible weight reductions,
without compromising an inch on sustainability or durability. To the
contrary, faster and better is what it’s all about!

The fine mix of Carbon, Aramid and »Powered by Titanium« permits high
precision edge grip and fast-reacting skiing performance with
unparalleled ease.

This XTD Transmission (Sidewall) construction is engineered in the
binding area using hollow carbon shells. The highly rigid carbon is
lightweight but delivers more direct edge grip in the binding area –
right in the area where the greatest pressure is applied.

Aramid is used at the tip and tail to replace the Titanal belt. The
material is lighter yet provides comparable shock absorption for the
exposed zones of the ski – the perfect use for a material so effective
at absorbing energy that it is used in bulletproof vests. The fiber
structure of Aramid also gives the wider tip and tail zones of the ski
greater torsional stability, which contributes to better edge grip.

V-Werks is the ultimate upgrade. For the upcoming season, Völkl is
kicking off with special Code Speedwall and RTM 84 V-Werks editions."

Edited by Johnny Law