WP and Texans

Barb

Winter Park was insane this past weekend because they had some huge concert up there. Tons of college kids and traffic. We were supposed to get up to 2 feet of snow but only got 10" over 2 days.

First lift ride guy starts talking to me with an accent so I ask where he's from:

guy: southeast Texas, where do you live

me: Boulder

guy: how long does it take to get here from Boulder

me: just under 2 hours

guy: did you drive or fly?

As we are getting ready to get off the lift he puts his hands in the straps of his rental poles and I'm thinking I was sorry I'm next to him. He proceeds to jam his elbow in front of me so for a second I couldn't even stand up. Then he tries to push off with his poles and jams one of the poles in front and under my board but he is still not moving. So since the chair is still moving my only choice is to fall to the side and let the chair go over my head. He comes over and in his Texas twang starts yelling "I'm so sorry dear that was completely my fault." I accept his apology but tell him he should hold his poles in one hand when getting off the lift. To which he laughs and asks where I heard that. Then his friend chimes in that "your a snowboarder and don't know what you are talking about." So I just smile and tell them to have a nice day.

Snow was amazing! Nothing was groomed and while I didn't go on any really bumped up trails they all had ruts and bumps. I was starting to feel more comfortable on them after a few runs. All that powder made my legs pretty tired.

Going back for a week for the kids' spring break, can't wait!

WP3913002_zps3018ffaa.jpg

WP3913001_zpsa3ccdc5e.jpg

• Like 1

We get them here too. Some guy sat next to me on the chair today, was clearly a newb, talked with a twang, he asked me where I was from. I didn't return the interest, figured whatever the answer was, was only downhill...

Actually, I guess I'm starting to feel like that about all the tourons... Need more snow to take my mind off them, I had a target on my back today for out of control paper ticket people, so not feeling kindly.

Edited by sibhusky

I'm more likely to say something really weird to a random person I ride the lift with...actually that holds true with most anybody.

I enjoy yapping to people on the lift as well, makes the ride go just a little bit faster, especially the doubles.

It's fun hearing about where people drive from and just how long it takes to get to Blue.

As hilariously bad as Texans are, some of my favorite mountains would probably be out of business without them spending all their Texas $$ at Christmas and Spring break and every long weekend in between.

• Like 1

As much as gapers get under my skin, its the middle aged guys who tell everyone they know that they're "skiers" and break out the old skis, the neon and the head band twice a year to ski groomers making as many tight turns as humanly possible that get under my skin. At least Texans are out there having fun. These d bags think that they're actually legit.

"nicest beach town" is relative. I know people love the shore but an entire life of extremely crowded summers and basically no services in winter gets old year after year. My kids are happy out here. It took a while but even the older one is coming around (although he will not admit it).

As far as my friends, my good friends seemed to all live kind of far (Brigantine, Linwood, Absecon) and schedules never allowed us to get together very often. Most of the time we would meet in Margate and that whole scene was not for me (lots of fake nails and fendi bags). My summer neighbors were nice enough but out of touch with reality. I find the people out here to be much friendlier and down to earth. My friends out here are always up for anything. I can call up any of them and ask if they are up for a hike/bike ride/skiing on the weekend. It's not all about meeting friends at a bar because there is so much outside stuff to do instead.

I sound like a broken record, I know, but this place is fantastic!

• Like 2

Where did your boys go to school when you lived in stone harbor? What were your plans for high school?

"nicest beach town" is relative. I know people love the shore but an entire life of extremely crowded summers and basically no services in winter gets old year after year. My kids are happy out here. It took a while but even the older one is coming around (although he will not admit it).

As far as my friends, my good friends seemed to all live kind of far (Brigantine, Linwood, Absecon) and schedules never allowed us to get together very often. Most of the time we would meet in Margate and that whole scene was not for me (lots of fake nails and fendi bags). My summer neighbors were nice enough but out of touch with reality. I find the people out here to be much friendlier and down to earth. My friends out here are always up for anything. I can call up any of them and ask if they are up for a hike/bike ride/skiing on the weekend. It's not all about meeting friends at a bar because there is so much outside stuff to do instead.

I sound like a broken record, I know, but this place is fantastic!

That's funny outcold. POC we lived in Avalon and boys went to Avalon Elementary. I wasn't thrilled about sending them to Middle Twp High and was trying to figure out a way to send them to Ocean City High. High school isn't easy anywhere. Older son currently goes to Boulder High where they have an "open campus" policy. So basically you can leave school whenever you have a free period. He is having a problem getting a handle on all that freedom and is cutting a lot of classes.

For the same reason that people choose the crowded, expensive and dirty poconos to vacation.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure why people vacation at either. Especially places like wildwood etc. A ton of people in Philly throw their deposits down for those places early (like in February) every year. It's an annual tradition to get their deposits in for "the shore". With the $$ that they spend they could go on a cruise, go out west, see the country etc. but nope - wildwood it is! Same for a lot of NJ / NYers and the Poconos.