Sochi 2014

toast21602

So far from everything that I have heard about these games, they should be interesting, to say the least. From accommodations, to event site issues, to the 'city' itself, there has been a ton of crap going on.

Hopefully things aren't too spicy there and Sochi City turns out to be Boner City!

Go USA!

• Like 2

There's a high probability that the horror stories will outshine the events from stuff I've been reading. There was an article in Powder a few months back about a few guys checking out Sochi and skiing. Sharpshooters out on the slopes and woods, sketchy "Dont enter or you'll get shot" zones. Sounds thrilling!

Edited by moe ghoul

There's a high probability that the horror stories will outshine the events from stuff I've been reading. There was an article in Powder a few months back about a few guys checking out Sochi and skiing. Sharpshooters out on the slopes and woods, sketchy "Dont enter or you'll get shot" zones. Sounds thrilling!

Is that part of the events now. Dodge the bullet on downhill. Or during the biathlon they have to hit the moving targets.

Yeah they will be sketchy. I hope it doesn't taint them for the upcoming years. It just seems like they were so corrupt even from the start and now they have really gotten out of control.

I wonder what the press will do to represent the Olympics while they are out there. You know they always glorify things more than they appear or make things worse than they appear. It will be interesting to see which approach they take... and how much impact the Russian 'government' will have on them.

Interesting interveiw with Shaun White

http://www.snowboardermag.com/shaun-white-interview-2014/

" I have always considered myself a slopestyle rider, but its just that you get so much more recognition for riding the pipe."

That statement right there in that interview just sums up how much of a business this is to him. Look at some of the other riders like sage and tornstein and halldor who have said in countless interviews and video parts/documentaries that they could care less if they get recognized at least they're doing what they love to do.

wanna follow me through the jump line on sidewinder this weekend? Those jumps in Sochi measure out at 85, 90, 95 lip to knuckle. The 4th jump on sidewinder is probably about 45 right now, roughly half the size of the Olympic course. I dunno who they had do that helmet can run through the course, but dude is gonna get murked if he's trying to trick anything going that slow.

Re: Shaun white - I'd respect him if he backed out because of an unsafe course. Watching women's snowboard slope right now, and as sad and pathetic as it it, women are still cleanly tricking the big side of the jump line, which leads me to believe the course was not white's reason for backing out. I'm assuming he saw that he really stood no chance for a podium and didn't want to tarnish his winning reputation. What sucks the most is that he backed out at the last minute, keeping an alternate from taking his place. I dunno who that would have been, but if they have a personal vendetta against him right now, I can't blame them.

Edited by Justo8484
  • Like 3

The course wasn't the reason he backed out. It's a fairly similar set up from the X games a few weeks ago. He's a business and wants some gold medals, not wasting time on something he can't win. Not cool man. If you qualify, then do it, if you're not interested, don't even try out.

Also, this might be a weird observation, but it's something I just don't get, I noticed this at the X-games a few weeks ago, and again tonight. What's with these people wearing a hat, then putting their goggles on, then putting their helmet on. Or just having a helmet and no hat, but the goggles still underneath. I can't think of any people that I know who do this, maybe I'm doing it wrong with just a helmet and goggles outside in the strap, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

wanna follow me through the jump line on sidewinder this weekend? Those jumps in Sochi measure out at 85, 90, 95 lip to knuckle. The 4th jump on sidewinder is probably about 45 right now, roughly half the size of the Olympic course. I dunno who they had do that helmet can run through the course, but dude is gonna get murked if he's trying to trick anything going that slow.

Re: Shaun white - I'd respect him if he backed out because of an unsafe course. Watching women's snowboard slope right now, and as sad and pathetic as it it, women are still cleanly tricking the big side of the jump line, which leads me to believe the course was not white's reason for backing out. I'm assuming he saw that he really stood no chance for a podium and didn't want to tarnish his winning reputation. What sucks the most is that he backed out at the last minute, keeping an alternate from taking his place. I dunno who that would have been, but if they have a personal vendetta against him right now, I can't blame them.

haha Doug hit a jump? yeah right. I'd pay to see that though.