Zee Lights

skifreak

This all seems exhausting ... bought my first season pass this year, have access to 10+ world class resorts.  I understand that they are all owned by the same company, but other resorts with different owners have banded together to try and offer a competing pass.  Why hasn't a "Pocono pass" ever been put together?  I understand that the owners in the Poconos are very protective of revenue and skier visits, but I think that they are being short sighted about the impact that could have.  

• Like 1

This all seems exhausting ... bought my first season pass this year, have access to 10+ world class resorts.  I understand that they are all owned by the same company, but other resorts with different owners have banded together to try and offer a competing pass.  Why hasn't a "Pocono pass" ever been put together?  I understand that the owners in the Poconos are very protective of revenue and skier visits, but I think that they are being short sighted about the impact that could have.

I don't think a joint pocono pass would help a place like blue who has a few thousand people every year forking over $500+. Prob help a smaller resort.

The main draw for the Colorado resorts is that people who only ski a handful of days who live locally can buy a season pass as the break even is so low. The resorts get all that upfront money and many of those casual skiers who live in Boulder and Denver only go w few times. By comparison Jackson hole charges almost $2,000 for their season pass as they are the only game in town and know it.

I should of added for people who plan to get at least 10 days in.

We do seasonal rentals for our kids.  We get a BOGO coupon book for it that really encourages us to go to different places.  Which is fine by me.  

I agree Blue is the best in the area, but it's still about 1000vert with big crowds, pocono death cookies and what not....it's not THAT much better than other pokes places to make me want to go there every time.

Also, not being locked in encouraged us to get to the catskills a couple of times last year.  If we had passes - or if even only I had a pass, we wouldn't have done that.  

I think a pocono season pass is perfect if you live within 30minutes and can take advantage of after work/school night skiing once a week, or get their early and bail when the crowds come, or snag a few runs last afternoon.....that kind of thing.

We do seasonal rentals for our kids. We get a BOGO coupon book for it that really encourages us to go to different places. Which is fine by me.

I agree Blue is the best in the area, but it's still about 1000vert with big crowds, pocono death cookies and what not....it's not THAT much better than other pokes places to make me want to go there every time.

Also, not being locked in encouraged us to get to the catskills a couple of times last year. If we had passes - or if even only I had a pass, we wouldn't have done that.

I think a pocono season pass is perfect if you live within 30minutes and can take advantage of after work/school night skiing once a week, or get their early and bail when the crowds come, or snag a few runs last afternoon.....that kind of thing.

About every word of this applies to me too

Probably a stupid question but they aren't limited in the amount of electricity they use are they?

No.  the only real limitation is when there becomes the possibility of brown outs due to really high electrical demand.  then they shut down.  they might even be compensated for shutting down under these conditions as well.  This happened like 2 years ago.  

I wonder, with the amount of electricity they use, whether they get a discount on electricity rates?

My guess is that the snowmaking crew is off sleeping...

The "discount" would make you sick, its considerable.  

The valley complex should be relatively speaking close, the big dogs won't go until after the warm up but if they want to run the sixer this weekend it can happen for sure.

EDIT: Why not switchback....would love some switchback action.....

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 2