Gardening

momskeeztoo

27 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Back to google…

F6DBD6A0-A784-4B4F-95AE-FB46148DC269.png

Yeah blooms as in flowers but I'm familiar with the bloom you mentioned above. Sometimes it's tough to tell if they're ripe .It fools the Blue jays too I've seem plenty of berries with beak marks . I planted different  varieties so they they don't all get  ripe at one time . Some are small and a few bushes are quarter size unfortunately they don't produce a lot . 

My kids all hate Blueberries lol . 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

Yeah blooms as in flowers but I'm familiar with the bloom you mentioned above. Sometimes it's tough to tell if they're ripe .It fools the Blue jays too I've seem plenty of berries with beak marks . I planted different  varieties so they they don't all get  ripe at one time . Some are small and a few bushes are quarter size unfortunately they don't produce a lot . 

My kids all hate Blueberries lol . 

Funny you mentioned birds and blueberries because a few years ago an old lady who bought a tombstone from me called bitching that there was blue stuff on her tombstone.  I checked it out and yes a bird ate blueberries and shit on her tombstone.  I called her up and explained but I try not to curse in front of customers so said it was bird droppings. Instead of bullshit I say boloney lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Funny you mentioned birds and blueberries because a few years ago an old lady who bought a tombstone from me called bitching that there was blue stuff on her tombstone.  I checked it out and yes a bird ate blueberries and shit on her tombstone.  I called her up and explained but I try not to curse in front of customers so said it was bird droppings. Instead of bullshit I say boloney lol

City folk 🙃

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

Unofficial Blueberry season total so far 14.5 gallons. I only picked about 3 . Friends and family have been busy. 

Picked a quart of black raspberries today. I forgot they were around and a little dry but tasty. 

IMG_3155.jpeg

IMG_3136.jpeg

our blueberries are crazy this year too with just 3 bushes and 1 raspberries bush is about to explode.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Summer has been busy for the garden. The season has closed on zucchini (rip), potatoes, garlic and onions. The tomatoes just started turning this week- very late season but looking really healthy. Cukes and still kicking- this is the latest in the summer I’ve ever had them and I think it’s due to growing them vertically. Tomatillos and peppers are coming into their own and I’m waiting patiently for my dellacata, honey nut and more of the red kuri squash go turn. Also, the yard beans are a fun addition. These last two summers I’ve been doing a semi-companion planting, mostly using borage and calendula along with zinnias to brighten up the garden and drive in more pollinators. So far this has been a highly productive season. 

Anyone do a fall planting? I sowed carrots- hoping for a later freeze and to get a little something out of what would have been empty space; also beans, peas, spinach soon and planning to also put in colder varieties of winter bok choy and romaine for when the temps cool off a bit. 

9096437D-A440-4AA3-BB57-CEB26A13DA21.jpeg

6C53FCB4-59E0-46CB-A4F7-0A25E3939EE5.jpeg

DF7584FF-8349-4297-9E99-814D64BD60B0.jpeg

Edited by Boo Bear
  • Like 7

Welcome back Boo Bear, I liked reading your post because I learned a few new words.  One of my friends hooks me up with heirloom tomatoes around this time of year and I haven’t received any yet. Also do you make your own pickles?  I learned about Cukes a few years ago and they use em to make pickles 

13 hours ago, Boo Bear said:

Summer has been busy for the garden. The season has closed on zucchini (rip), potatoes, garlic and onions. The tomatoes just started turning this week- very late season but looking really healthy. Cukes and still kicking- this is the latest in the summer I’ve ever had them and I think it’s due to growing them vertically. Tomatillos and peppers are coming into their own and I’m waiting patiently for my dellacata, honey nut and more of the red kuri squash go turn. Also, the yard beans are a fun addition. These last two summers I’ve been doing a semi-companion planting, mostly using borage and calendula along with zinnias to brighten up the garden and drive in more pollinators. So far this has been a highly productive season. 

Anyone do a fall planting? I sowed carrots- hoping for a later freeze and to get a little something out of what would have been empty space; also beans, peas, spinach soon and planning to also put in colder varieties of winter bok choy and romaine for when the temps cool off a bit. 

9096437D-A440-4AA3-BB57-CEB26A13DA21.jpeg

6C53FCB4-59E0-46CB-A4F7-0A25E3939EE5.jpeg

DF7584FF-8349-4297-9E99-814D64BD60B0.jpeg

what kind of critter are you trying to catch?

20 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Welcome back Boo Bear, I liked reading your post because I learned a few new words.  One of my friends hooks me up with heirloom tomatoes around this time of year and I haven’t received any yet. Also do you make your own pickles?  I learned about Cukes a few years ago and they use em to make pickles 

😂 glad to expand your vocabulary. I did make some pickles- I usually just make fridge pickles instead of full blown canning and processing although I have done that in other seasons. I made cuke and zuke pickles and some years make dilly green bean pickles. They’re my favorite to put in bloody marys 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

what kind of critter are you trying to catch?

Mama groundhog. I saw big Bertha one day, but we never caught her. Only managed to get two of her littles. After they were removed I think she abandoned her home, thankfully. Or she heard me threaten to take her kids for a visit to the Monocacy inside that cage. 

@mute1080 is kinder than me though so he took the little ones and gave them a new home down the road

2 hours ago, Boo Bear said:

Mama groundhog. I saw big Bertha one day, but we never caught her. Only managed to get two of her littles. After they were removed I think she abandoned her home, thankfully. Or she heard me threaten to take her kids for a visit to the Monocacy inside that cage. 

@mute1080 is kinder than me though so he took the little ones and gave them a new home down the road

Mutes a nice guy he probably made them a sandwich or at least gave them some cheese balls now Ryan he’s a ding a ling prob give them beer actually so would mute 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Boo Bear said:

Kinda figured. Groundhogs suuuuuucccckkk. Horrible creatures. I saw 2 on my deck camera this year, and trapped them.  I think they were visitors, not residents.  Surprisingly lettuce has been the food of choice for them. I like lettuce too, but i would think twice about going in a steel box for some. Both of mine were in the trap by 6:30 am. And they go crazy once the door slams shut.
happy hunting! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

Wascally wabbits have been my problem  this year

Deer, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs are why we have to have a deck garden in pots instead of a real one in thr ground and even then the squirrels and groundhogs sometimes come up to snack.