Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

Philly is implementing a vaccine mandate for indoor dining and drinking starting January 3. I wonder if the date of the mandate has anything to do with maximizing revenue in the city during the holidays and not causing trouble/losing patrons for the Mummer's Parade. 

On the news last night someone mentioned that once this becomes the rule Philadelphia will be "an island" because it's surrounded on all sides by counties without vaccine requirements. I wonder if people who live in the suburbs will be more likely to stay in the suburbs to go out to eat or drink rather than deal with the mandate. 

22 minutes ago, Schif said:

Philly is implementing a vaccine mandate for indoor dining and drinking starting January 3. I wonder if the date of the mandate has anything to do with maximizing revenue in the city during the holidays and not causing trouble/losing patrons for the Mummer's Parade. 

On the news last night someone mentioned that once this becomes the rule Philadelphia will be "an island" because it's surrounded on all sides by counties without vaccine requirements. I wonder if people who live in the suburbs will be more likely to stay in the suburbs to go out to eat or drink rather than deal with the mandate. 

NYC has had an indoor vaccine mandate since early fall and from what I’ve heard it’s been jam packed with tourists and only about one in four restaurants actually check vaccine passports.  

17 hours ago, Schif said:

The state of Philadelphia has always been on an island. (I.e. soda tax, city wage tax, covid vaccine e restrictions etc etc)

Just now, toast21602 said:

It’s true of everywhere. Every city, state, country, township, municipality, county, etc. have their own regulations making them their own islands compared to others. 

Philly and other cities kind of stand out as islands though. I would say that most places are just parts of an isthmus or perhaps a tightly spaced archipelago. If you travel from Scranton through Harrisburg and down to the suburbs of Pittsburgh there realistically won't be too much change that you encounter, but the second you cross the Hudson into New York or City Avenue into Philadelphia things are different. Not saying it's bad, but it's noticeable. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

Philly and other cities kind of stand out as islands though. I would say that most places are just parts of an isthmus or perhaps a tightly spaced archipelago. If you travel from Scranton through Harrisburg and down to the suburbs of Pittsburgh there realistically won't be too much change that you encounter, but the second you cross the Hudson into New York or City Avenue into Philadelphia things are different. Not saying it's bad, but it's noticeable. 

Really, really appreciate the geographical land shoutouts to terms that are rarely used. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Really, really appreciate the geographical land shoutouts to terms that are rarely used. 

@Schifand for this word.  i had to look it up.  

isthmus.  

noun

1. a narrow strip of land with sea on either side, forming a link between two larger areas of land.

1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

@Schifand for this word.  i had to look it up.  

isthmus.  

noun

1. a narrow strip of land with sea on either side, forming a link between two larger areas of land.

It's a gem. Think Central America connecting North and South America. Or, think about the small patch of snow connecting the Blue Mountain courtyard pavers to the land of opportunity known as Vista. We need to geography thread. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

It's a gem. Think Central America connecting North and South America. Or, think about the small patch of snow connecting the Blue Mountain courtyard pavers to the land of opportunity known as Vista. We need to geography thread. 

I also learned what deciduous trees are from this site.  What a wealth of knowledge here at times.  

I also learned the word grundle, from you guys too, so take it all with a grain of salt.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

That strip of snow is more of a "cape" in my opinion since it's where the snow ends.  

image.png.cf933337a7d79f46ea8d6cf4f9541050.png

3 hours ago, Schif said:

Yeah you enter liberal shitholes 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I mean I think it's a tad more complex than that. I think there is just something inherently difficult about having that many people living in one place and the places themselves being extremely diverse in terms of not only people but neighborhoods, types of homes, and types of establishments in the area. Couple that with the need for more and more complex infrastructure than less dense areas and you have a recipe for things to not necessarily work efficiently and for the free market to make things spicy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If not for liberal shitholes this state would make west virgina look like Monaco. Red states far far far and away consume more tax dollars than they bring in because red areas are poor. 

Red states are 9 out of the top 10 federal government whores and the blue state is VT which is .00000001% of a state like Mississippi. 

Conservatives are all like Rand Paul bleat like a retarded goat and deny hurricane sandy funds but when habitually poor and eternally shitty Kentucky gets hit with tornados Mr self sufficiency is first in line on his knees sucks Joe's dick for money.  

Abortion, taxes, the list goes on and on and on what being a modern conservative mostly is endless noise about how shit everyone is for taking x handout until they need it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

If not for liberal shitholes this state would make west virgina look like Monaco. Red states far far far and away consume more tax dollars than they bring in because red areas are poor. 

Red states are 9 out of the top 10 federal government whores and the blue state is VT which is .00000001% of a state like Mississippi. 

Conservatives are all like Rand Paul bleat like a retarded goat and deny hurricane sandy funds but when habitually poor and eternally shitty Kentucky gets hit with tornados Mr self sufficiency is first in line on his knees sucks Joe's dick for money.  

Abortion, taxes, the list goes on and on and on what being a modern conservative mostly is endless noise about how shit everyone is for taking x handout until they need it. 

Well said.  I've always been fascinated how these poor states largely vote against their own self interest. 

This is an interesting wiki to brush up on how it came to be that some of the poorest states historically vote Republican.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy 

LBJ was a cold motherfucker and this quote is rough:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

If people stopped acting like cowards and lived their lives, this pandemic bullshit would be over by now 

Pandemic IS over. Endemic is and always was inevitable. Policymakers need to get a grip on that instead of worrying about the grip of their iron fist control of the populace. The leftist talking heads are jumping on board (or jumping off the sinking ship?) like Stetler and Maher.

Even the White House is realizing that they need to change the message if they want to stop getting buried, with shifts away from focusing on  case count and toward hospitalizations and deaths where the focus always should have been.

Moving forward all communication from the WH and its liberal media propaganda arm will only talk about those stats and not case count, and they will push the success of (Trump’s) “vaccine” at keeping those numbers manageable and double down on  vilifying those who won’t get the shot or boosters.

The CDC will continue to say whatever the hell they want and change their minds on a whim with no real explanation or accountability, and Fauci will continue to get in front of any camera that he can and say whatever he thinks will keep him relevant and exerting power over our everyday lives. 

But in general, the people have spoken as much through their actions as words. The pandemic is over, if not in definition than in the public’s willingness to let the radical overreaction to it grossly alter their everyday lives.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1