Only game in town - how much longer?

Ski2Live Live2Ski

3 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

It depends on how much money you’ll make part time. Sometimes working part time is actually harmful in how much money unemployment gives you. You make out better not working at all

Working part time plus unemployment off the lost wages is better than part time only.  

2 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

It depends on how much money you’ll make part time. Sometimes working part time is actually harmful in how much money unemployment gives you. You make out better not working at all

Not entirely.  I try to explain this to people at work, we have a ton on UE right now, and thats where they will stay for a while.  

your max benefit is some crazy calculation based on what you made the past like 5 quarters.  You are allowed to make a certain percentage of your maximum benefit by working part time.  Usually this is equal to about 6-8 hours.  So, with working lets say 6 hrs at your usual job part time, you will make your max benefit, plus your paycheck.  Lets just call all of that $(job)+$$$(from UE) = $$$$.  You will always be allowed to make $$$$.  So if you work a second day, and bring your earnings up from your job, $$(job) + $$(UE) = $$$$.  If you work even more $$$(job) UE will still give you $ to equal $$$$

Guys at work will say "if i work, it will screw up my unemployement" and thats not the case.  However, i think PA unemployment needs to revamp their system, to encourage people to work part time. Staying at home, sitting on your ass watching cartoons pays to well imo.  

@theprogram4 be careful jumping on the UE bandwagon.  Health Insurance becomes an issue, i know our guys that are laid off now, have to go on Cobra, and pay for it themselves.  I believe your company can not put you on UE and still cover your benefits.  I dont know how it works for doing UE and part time.  This isnt a time to be with out healthcare. At this point, healthcare is probably more valuable than your job.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Not entirely.  I try to explain this to people at work, we have a ton on UE right now, and thats where they will stay for a while.  

your max benefit is some crazy calculation based on what you made the past like 5 quarters.  You are allowed to make a certain percentage of your maximum benefit by working part time.  Usually this is equal to about 6-8 hours.  So, with working lets say 6 hrs at your usual job part time, you will make your max benefit, plus your paycheck.  Lets just call all of that $(job)+$$$(from UE) = $$$$.  You will always be allowed to make $$$$.  So if you work a second day, and bring your earnings up from your job, $$(job) + $$(UE) = $$$$.  If you work even more $$$(job) UE will still give you $ to equal $$$$

Guys at work will say "if i work, it will screw up my unemployement" and thats not the case.  However, i think PA unemployment needs to revamp their system, to encourage people to work part time. Staying at home, sitting on your ass watching cartoons pays to well imo.  

@theprogram4 be careful jumping on the UE bandwagon.  Health Insurance becomes an issue, i know our guys that are laid off now, have to go on Cobra, and pay for it themselves.  I believe your company can not put you on UE and still cover your benefits.  I dont know how it works for doing UE and part time.  This isnt a time to be with out healthcare. At this point, healthcare is probably more valuable than your job.  

Thank you I appreciate the info

On 3/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, indiggio said:

Ok, now this Dr. says WHO says it's fine to take it.  Geez! Would they all please centralize what they're spewing out and get it straight.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ibuprofen-coronavirus-symptoms-myth/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Not many employers will let you work 6 hours a week. And if you’re only working 6 -8 hours week do you qualify for their health insurance? Not sure if selling cars is considered essential. And didn’t all the car makers in US shut down?

2 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Not many employers will let you work 6 hours a week. And if you’re only working 6 -8 hours week do you qualify for their health insurance? Not sure if selling cars is considered essential. And didn’t all the car makers in US shut down?

manufacturing is different than selling.

Being on unemployment is not the cakewalk it used to be. You have to apply for 2 jobs a week through their “Career link” And have to go to 2 interviews. The jobs they have posted are either professional in nature ie: therapists, psychologists, nurses or jobs like Lowe’s or Auto Zone, that want to pay you $10 hour and have you available 7 days a week. Then they want to see your resume. Of course, it’s not good enough for them, so they want you to drive to Norristown or Allentown to take classes to write a better resume. And they want you to keep coming back to classes to improve your resume It’s all a big scam, career link is not run by unemployment, they probably have some contract with the state, the more classes they teach, the more money they get. Your tax dollars at work. And it’s all bullshit. My husband had been on unemployment since January and it has been no picnic. He is not sitting around watching cartoons. He is not lazy. 

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

I believe that’s 6 hours a day. I have no idea about automakers shutting down but car dealerships have large inventories and also have active service departments. 

22 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Being on unemployment is not the cakewalk it used to be. You have to apply for 2 jobs a week through their “Career link” And have to go to 2 interviews. The jobs they have posted are either professional in nature ie: therapists, psychologists, nurses or jobs like Lowe’s or Auto Zone, that want to pay you $10 hour and have you available 7 days a week. Then they want to see your resume. Of course, it’s not good enough for them, so they want you to drive to Norristown or Allentown to take classes to write a better resume. And they want you to keep coming back to classes to improve your resume It’s all a big scam, career link is not run by unemployment, they probably have some contract with the state, the more classes they teach, the more money they get. Your tax dollars at work. And it’s all bullshit. My husband had been on unemployment since January and it has been no picnic. He is not sitting around watching cartoons. He is not lazy. 

What kind of work was your husband doing before?? It’s really hard for older people to find work.  I know when I was looking for a delivery driver a few years ago some graduated high school in the 70s and those hit the trash so fast.  

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

It would be MONTHS until you saw that shortage of vehicles from manufacturing being shut down. TP4’s dealership could empty their lot with sales 3 times over before the manufacturer would say “sorry we don’t have any more cars to ship to you” 

Just now, Kyle said:

It would be MONTHS until you saw that shortage of vehicles from manufacturing being shut down. TP4’s dealership could empty their lot with sales 3 times over before the manufacturer would say “sorry we don’t have any more cars to ship to you” 

especially since this economic crash is going to slow things significantly. 

Just now, toast21602 said:

especially since this economic crash is going to slow things significantly. 

Without a doubt.  But under normal circumstances even, there’s a longggg delay from the time the car finishes production to the time the keys are handed over to the dealership. Everyone take a look at your vin tag on the center pillar next time you get in your car, the production month and year may surprise you. 

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

What is confusing about this post? I really take offense to someone saying people on unemployment are sitting on their ass watching cartoons. It’s not that easy. 

45 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What kind of work was your husband doing before?? It’s really hard for older people to find work.  I know when I was looking for a delivery driver a few years ago some graduated high school in the 70s and those hit the trash so fast.  

Pattern maker for a very small business. What do you mean by hitting the trash? 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My husband is really intelligent, can MacGyver just about anything, fix anything around here that’s broken. Start a campfire with no matches. He can even put snow chains on a car!  I guess if you want to think older people are stupid and can’t do anything, that’s your business  Remember, you’ll be here someday  I wouldn’t hire you because you’re fat, and fat people are lazy   🖕🏻

Just as an FYI - what i know about UE comes from employees in a seasonal business, returning to work (around here) in the spring.  This would most likely pertain to most peoples situation, where they may get laid off due to Covid-19, but will eventually return to work. 

13 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Not many employers will let you work 6 hours a week. 

We try to get as many guys to work a few hours a week, as especially with this winters weather, we were still out doing some work.  So, we are one of those employers that will let employees work 1 day a week. (or more)  Our super smart shop guy comes in 2 days a week for 10 hrs for the week.  

People that are returning to their job after a temp layoff dont have to jump through all the hoops your husband apparently does.  I dont know anything about this side of UE.  Guys on a temp layoff are sitting at home watching cartoons.  Even with the letter from an employer stating a date of return, they sort of still make you sign up at career link, but they dont get too bothersome about looking for work.  We want most of our employees back, so we actually hope they are not out looking for work, and since most work through Careerlink is full time, i feel it could take a job away from someone looking for a full time job.  

12 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

What is confusing about this post? I really take offense to someone saying people on unemployment are sitting on their ass watching cartoons. It’s not that easy. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...