2/7 Deja Blue

Johnny Law

At the end of last week my work luck ran out and for the next two weeks I have 8-930 standing call MWF. The degen in me can't deal and decided we can do everything from the car at least for today. 

940 I was out and lines were just starting to form. First run was razors which was so nice I ran it 7 times in a row. Perfect hard soft snow made for effortless full speed hyper carves. Post downhill I'm always at least a little fired up to channel my inner Innerhofer and float some high speed airs. The armpit between razors and back has a most excellent lip and if it was up to me I'd still be out there seeing just how far and fast you can take it.  Plus I can't pretend it's not prime lift viewing and who doesn't like to slut it up for those on the couch. 

Alas it was not meant to be, around 1030 you could feel the crowds were about to hit critical mass and overrun the quad. The vip line held on until about 11 but by 1115 the line was back to the sixer and even with such good snow by 1145 that's peace y'all. ✌️ 

Slap it, poke it, go in the back, you can even tickle it. My favorite snow is the one where you can paint however you like on the canvas and thats what's out there.......once they start the sixer up and you can get to it. 

20220207_112354.jpg

• Like 8
  • Boner City 1

It's not busy, it's an elk situation where you have low uphill capacity. Almost every run was one of two people max unless you're on lazy or dis. 

I'm sure steeze knows but let's say uphill capacity for the quad is 400 per hour. With the current scheme there is no line it's just random so some of that line is you are only getting a % of that theoretical capacity through the gates efficiently. Then once through the gates they are only filling maybe half the chairs, others have 3 or even 2. There are a decent amount of noobs and if it stops it may stop for a minute though today it was fine and all of this just destroys its uphill capacity. From 920 to 930 everyday it starts backing up until they run the sixer. 

With systems I'm very logic dependent so it drives me nuts because it's so stupid. Run the sixer in the morning and there will be zero line.  Nobody on the trails is nice but particularly the people who paid and can't use VIP were pretty unhappy particularly at 1045 on a Monday morning. 

• Thanks 1

Uphill capacity for the quad is 2,000 an hour and uphill capacity for the six pack is 3,000 per hour. That’s if it’s running at full speed and at full capacity so you can probably shrink those numbers by 30-40%. It’s just that there’s no where to spread out the same people are making 4-6 laps per hour, not like a large resort where people are going from lift to lift to lift.  

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

WTF is going on. Doesn’t ANYONE work anymore? I best be there at opening tomorrow. 

There sure are a lot of people at the opening ding ding on weekdays.  9am opening allows a lot of people to be there for opening. I wish they ran the six instead of the quad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Uphill capacity for the quad is 2,000 an hour and uphill capacity for the six pack is 3,000 per hour. That’s if it’s running at full speed and at full capacity so you can probably shrink those numbers by 30-40%. It’s just that there’s no where to spread out the same people are making 4-6 laps per hour, not like a large resort where people are going from lift to lift to lift.  

Blue should hire you as a consultant and maybe you can get more lifts and terrain open and maybe even a gondola with wifi

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Blue should hire you as a consultant and maybe you can get more lifts and terrain open and maybe even a gondola with wifi

No thanks I don’t want any additional work...I’m cool just paying bills and doing banking today and leaving after my 230 appointment 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nah, I was just recollecting something @indiggio said once - the slower the lift, the better the run, just like fine wine. That's basically Elk's marketing plan.

Sure it was me?  I'm not a wine drinker, per se.  Sounds more like something @Johnny Law would say.
Wouldn't want to take credit for one of his quotes, especially good ones!

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Sure it was me?  I'm not a wine drinker, per se.  Sounds more like something @Johnny Law would say.

See below. I'll add my personal touch and say long lift lines also build anticipation like scotch or wine.

20220207_164627.jpg.ce44f6bfb2a91e5174636997373d880a.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

WTF is going on. Doesn’t ANYONE work anymore? I best be there at opening tomorrow. 

WFH has given everyone a ton of flexibility. I have a couple people under me that take 3-4 hour blocks out of their day and make it up early morning/late evening. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, indiggio said:

While I might totally say that I doubt I would say it about elk. I know I'm in the extreme minority but I'm not a huge fan

Just now, C1erArt said:

Notice any difference carving turns down razors with the new edges on your tuned skis?

They had some semi serious dings from at least 3 trips where it was pow skiing with lower tide so just having ground bases and some kind of edge is nice. 

They are flat underfoot though so it's always a bit of give them more angulation if you dare but at least on razors the snow was super easy.  I waived from the lift but you were trucking down razors. 

Challenge had some spots where I definitely wish I had some camber and I didn't ski it but a guy on the lift said Burma was half ice half hero snow from I guess where they blew.