Ski Season 23-24 thread

RidgeRacer

I can’t believe it’s been 15 years since that CB trip.  And I linked up with Justo and Root at a random spring trip at Hunter once too.  Haven’t ridden much in PA outside a random Elk trip or two in probably 10 years.  I’m taking a hiatus from ski patrolling this year, so I got the ikon pass and get some days at Blue and CB.  If I can remember to bring my gear home, I’ll come up for a day or two.

Did Nate Dogg log first chair in CO again this year?

Snowmakers are out on the North Ridge webcam.  Temps are probably hovering around freezing up top with temps at 38 in the base.  Probably some mixed precip too.  My in-laws in northern NH have a dusting on the ground already.  Snowmaking temps look good for 2.5-3 days and then the next 10 look borderline.  I’m thinking an opening on Wednesday with walking both ways on the stairway.  I still wouldn’t be surprised if they have a surprise opening at 2 PM tomorrow so that they open in October.  Debatable on whether they can stay open long term.  It would be dicey…

7 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Guns are going at Killington.  Started later than I expected.  Definitely no opening today.  Looks like tomorrow afternoon soft opening is possible.  Most likely opening to pass holders on Thursday if temps cooperate.

👍https://www.killington.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain/north-ridge-cam

2 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Guns are going at Killington.  Started later than I expected.  Definitely no opening today.  Looks like tomorrow afternoon soft opening is possible.  Most likely opening to pass holders on Thursday if temps cooperate.

You still have yet to explain to us what a "soft opening" is in regards to a ski resort.  

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

You still have yet to explain to us what a "soft opening" is in regards to a ski resort.  

Essentially they announce very last minute with no fan fare that they are opening late in the day for a couple hours.  It’s been rare lately, but a decade or so ago, Killington and Sunday River often would post at 1:30 that they would be opening at 2 PM.  Since it was only locals and it couldn’t be planned for, they could claim an earlier opening day and it wouldn’t beat up their snow too much.  A lot of times it was free and they would hand you a ticket for liability reasons at the lift.  You would often expect no grooming and operational snowguns.  Nowadays Killington and Sunday River announce the day before and most of the time it’s groomed and half the time they turn off the guns and direct that capacity elsewhere.  It’s often well attended as well.

6 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

They try to open with Rime/Reason, correct? I have doubted Killingtons abilities before, but im thinking they have a lot of work to do to make tomorrow happen. 

image.thumb.png.ef2aeecdb1c9da68f1e0eda333a16c71.png

I’ve read over on K-Zone a bit, and back in the 90s, they would have opened on that.  Not now.  If temps cool quick I still think a 2 PM opening is possible tomorrow, but now that an October opening is off the table, I’m guessing an official open on Thursday for SP holders and Ikon Pass holders.

On 10/27/2023 at 6:34 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@Johnny Law this looks like something you’d enjoy. Backcountry skiing in the dacks

That's a super dope video,  many moons ago there is a Peggy O TR where we skied the Wright Ski Trail though I remember it being alot more brown. 

7 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

They try to open with Rime/Reason, correct? I have doubted Killingtons abilities before, but im thinking they have a lot of work to do to make tomorrow happen. 

image.thumb.png.ef2aeecdb1c9da68f1e0eda333a16c71.png

That totally goes, I would say that's beyond fast grass and into actual skiing. I don't care what anyone says Killy even in their coke fueled bright lights ASC days has been and continues to have skiing at its core. Mad places would not attempt such Tom foolery, shit there are tons of places that don't open until 50"+ has fallen from the ski but Killy keeps it real......it's 29 turn the fucking snow cone machines on and the moment we can get a plausible amount of snow down it's kick the tires and light the fires and shits off

• Like 4

They don’t show any Warren Miller down here in the first state, but the production Killington is getting on top of NR is looking really good.  Very top near the bottom of the screen looks a little thin, but I think an opening tomorrow is possible unless they have the temps to run throughout the day and open on Friday with a solid groomed base.  They’ve got 5 days of above freezing temps, and they hate opening and then closing, so they may want those extra production hours without any skiers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mute1080 said:

Any one going to the Warren Miller film this year? It's near me this weekend and we plan on going to get the stroke rising.

Saturday, I haven’t been a fan of the style of fast changing scenes. Most of them don’t last more than 3 seconds. The last one I went to was a bit better. I like the family and smaller ski towns focus rather than the big dollar heli ski oriented big mountain vistas. They have their place but there’s been too much focus and product placement. 

Warren rocked with great humor , there needs to be more of this older style. 
I’m thinking this year will be an edit of old material so I’m hopeful. Either way I go for the stoke of seeing some friends who suffer from the same ski addiction. 

Free stuff is icing. 

• Like 2