12/21…fourth opening day..a little slick.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from another session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot around 8:32 and it was in the mid 30s under mostly cloudy sky’s with a moderate breeze.  In the house were JLaw, AJeff, BFord crew, C1er and many others.  

The super summit safari had a few issues initially but were sorted out in a few minutes.  First run down east put to vista to midway to lower main wasn’t that good…kind of inconsistent..some slick not really any cookies.  Up the quad and Freefall was rough..slick and rolly polly..lower paradise seemed to have at least as much coverage as Saturday.  

Back up the quad again and the right side of tuts lane had the best snow on the hill was like a western groomer.  Then back to reality as midway and lower main kept getting slicker and busier although nothing terrible.  The slow signs were set up differently leading into shuttle and there was a patroller down there the first hour out of skis signalling for people to pump the brakes. 

I only skied six runs as it wasn’t that good..still better than not skiing.  Tomorrow I’m not skiing and this weekend I’ll be in VA.  Ski a lot of you on the 26th.  Maybe salty or ridge can take care of the weekend roll call thread.  JADIP

C19E4DE7-7DA1-4F49-BE3C-23A10769B6E8.jpeg

20722C75-2509-4022-B965-D2A9E68C9791.jpeg

• Like 4

Was super sweet to get back at it and not work this morning. 

I was impressed with how much they got out of last night, I thought pdis may need more time but it's pretty much exactly last weekend. 

Guns were on too long and there are some slick spots, down the gut on midway is like wet marble but lower was pretty good. 

Christmas week will be mad interesting unless they limit tickets

• Like 2

Ski patroller at the bottom of where Main Street lift used to be was trying to control speed coming off lower main and snowboarders plopping down in the middle of the trail. Had an electronic device to ding your pass. He said 2 dings and the pass is invalid for the day. Said it was the worst job ever. 

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Ski patroller at the bottom of where Main Street lift used to be was trying to control speed and snowboarders plopping down in the middle of the trail. Had an electronic device to ding your pass. He said 2 dings and the pass is invalid for the day. 

Wow glad he didn’t give me a big dinger although I was skiing super slow today.  C1er I feel like you may have liked the conditions today because you ski very well tuned skis 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Ski patroller at the bottom of where Main Street lift used to be was trying to control speed coming off lower main and snowboarders plopping down in the middle of the trail. Had an electronic device to ding your pass. He said 2 dings and the pass is invalid for the day. Said it was the worst job ever. 

If they'd regrade that intersection so there's not a hump at the beginning of Shuttle to keep people moving, they wouldn't have that problem.

• Like 4

That whole intersection is dumb but they seem to love having the steepest fastest sections of the hill dump out into something dumb. 

Coming Soon is prett flat until the bottom pitch which dumps straight out onto their number 1 beginner trail, specifically the corner they most like to stop and scratch their balls in. Lest we forget the most interesting part of side dumps into a multi way interchange as well. 

Cutting trails that way is faster and cheaper to bump the count but as Killy and other found out it creates lots of crashes and now they've ripped most of them out. 

Ideally Burma would go the other way around the ski patrol building or they remove that issue entirely and have separate lanes back to the lifts. Even more ideally you figure out a logical base area configuration but before that you gotta figure out what to do with the base itself etc etc etc.....this also basically is the same issue with all the roads in the NE.

• Like 5

They need to just get people to keep moving there.  Take the "slow" signs down, put up signs that say "no stopping".  or, signs that say "stop and scratch balls at the base, not here" for the snowboarders and Palmeranians to understand.  

im never gonna be able to understand all of the stopping mid trail that goes on around Blue.  But, if the parking lot dealio ever starts to become a problem, im planning on tailgating at the top of falls.  

im skiing tomorrow, feeling conditions have no where to go but up.  

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh boy.... ski patrol has ding guns now!  What are the range on tbose things.  If we ever get an ikonic natty dump can they ding us from the chair lift if we go off piste? 

Today was quite pocono packed powder conditions.  Midway to Main was far better than Nile Mile.  Park still super fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

That whole intersection is dumb but they seem to love having the steepest fastest sections of the hill dump out into something dumb. 

Coming Soon is prett flat until the bottom pitch which dumps straight out onto their number 1 beginner trail, specifically the corner they most like to stop and scratch their balls in. Lest we forget the most interesting part of side dumps into a multi way interchange as well. 

Cutting trails that way is faster and cheaper to bump the count but as Killy and other found out it creates lots of crashes and now they've ripped most of them out. 

Ideally Burma would go the other way around the ski patrol building or they remove that issue entirely and have separate lanes back to the lifts. Even more ideally you figure out a logical base area configuration but before that you gotta figure out what to do with the base itself etc etc etc.....this also basically is the same issue with all the roads in the NE.

If they regrade Schuttle and drop it lower onto Barbs way they can get rid of the offending Boarder trap .  I was joking last week they need a magic carpet in the meantime. 

4 hours ago, C1erArt said:

They need to stop you to scan it... Right?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought today was best day of the season so far. Mainly due to lack of crowds prior to 1 pm. Got a total of 13 runs in. And yes, a bit icy. Paradise was certainly an improvement over Saturday until the narrow bottom. TCS was nice. I got cut off on the bottom of Paradise, did a nice face plant and have 2 nice dings between my eyes. But all in all, a fun day. I’m not back until Tuesday after Christmas, so everyone have a great weekend at Blue. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Benm said:

Tow rope would be a quick, cheap solution. 

Haha that won’t happen…people are just so dumb why wouldn’t you try to carry speed before a flat area?  I understand snowboarders aren’t as bright but still. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Can you imagine a towrope at a pocono resort, with pocono crowds / visitors? Film and send to America’s Funniest Home Videos for sure.

I always said they need a webcam at the top of the old 6 pointed at the unload hill.
People would watch the mayhem for hours.  Blue could even sell subscriptions!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DiMe said:

Oh boy.... ski patrol has ding guns now!  What are the range on tbose things.  If we ever get an ikonic natty dump can they ding us from the chair lift if we go off piste? 

Today was quite pocono packed powder conditions.  Midway to Main was far better than Nile Mile.  Park still super fun.

more big brother shit than that, i read something last week epic(?) shut down some passes based on tracking apps linked to RFID cards for peeps skiing closed terrain... fuck vail

last night was a *little* slick lol, 3 and out

Edited by mbike-ski
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow glad he didn’t give me a big dinger although I was skiing super slow today.  C1er I feel like you may have liked the conditions today because you ski very well tuned skis 

Actually, was on my Deacons (advertised as front side rippers) and having a great time. My son is out from Sacramento, normally skis Kores, but he just brought his boots. Tried my Experience 88s but the springs in the bindings were too worn out to keep them from popping off. Had his old pair of race room Fischer slalom world cups he switched to. First time on them in 10 years, and the took him for quite the ride. 

• Like 1