Sale rumors...

paul45

4 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

IF it's true, wonder what the sale price would end up being. Blue went for about $32 million, but seems like it has a lot more infrastructure

That and Blue isn't as far out in the boonies as Elk is.

Blue is 4 season resort with mountain biking, glamping, and weddings which are a huge profit maker. Elk is only open for skiing so I don't see near the same price for Elk.

I don't see a lot of space for real-estate development so I'm not sure someone would be buying it to build condos but I could be wrong about that.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:52 AM, indiggio said:

Heard it through another source that the deal is done and Elk's been sold.

Not sure if you've heard anything new....  but I just heard ol' Joe just blew up a deal right before it closed.  Dunno if that's the same deal you heard was done or a different one.  I did hear earlier in the season they had 2 offers, so could have been a different one.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:34 AM, indiggio said:

Yeah, dunno either.
What if it's some bunch of rich boomers who take the place private?

Hopefully investors are a bit timid on that that route after Windham's so-far-fail.  They lasted something like 3 weeks of the season with their "2 day minimum for non-club members"... quickly turning into a REAALLLY expensive private lift line and not much more.

4 minutes ago, paul45 said:

Not sure if you've heard anything new....  but I just heard ol' Joe just blew up a deal right before it closed.  Dunno if that's the same deal you heard was done or a different one.  I did hear earlier in the season they had 2 offers, so could have been a different one.

Hopefully investors are a bit timid on that that route after Windham's so-far-fail.  They lasted something like 3 weeks of the season with their "2 day minimum for non-club members"... quickly turning into a REAALLLY expensive private lift line and not much more.

Nope, I hadn't heard anything more and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the deal blew up at the end, so perhaps this is the latest scuttlebutt.

I would think it would be a tough roe to hoe going the private route and keeping it solvent, unless they have some really deep pockets to pull money from.

4 hours ago, paul45 said:

Not sure if you've heard anything new....  but I just heard ol' Joe just blew up a deal right before it closed. 

4 hours ago, indiggio said:

Nope, I hadn't heard anything more and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the deal blew up at the end, so perhaps this is the latest scuttlebutt.

um

whether or not i'm right i have no idea. 

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

It's official....Elk will be part of Vail resorts

I'm a day late.

Was pretty sure that was a joke.  But I'm big enough to admit it, I checked the vail press release page to be sure.  Now I get the day late comment... riiiight. Confusing since it was 2 days late I guess 🙂

Edited by paul45

2 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Hope it's Vail but would settle for anyone that is more a fan of skiing trees than of planting them.

"Hope it's Vail".....  not sure if that was another April Fools joke, hahaha. 

Pros: Epic passes for 2/3rds the price of my Elk Passes this year.

Cons: Literally everything else about Vail.  No interest in spending my weekends standing in #epicliftlines

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, paul45 said:

"Hope it's Vail".....  not sure if that was another April Fools joke, hahaha. 

Pros: Epic passes for 2/3rds the price of my Elk Passes this year.

Cons: Literally everything else about Vail.  No interest in spending my weekends standing in #epicliftlines

He hopes it’s Vail so he can go on his epic pass and probably also for much needed lift and infrastructure upgrades.  It’s pretty sad that Blue is 70 miles south and 1,000 feet lower and has a longer season.  I feel like Elk is far enough from the masses that it won’t get that crowded although I remember when @NMSKI went last year there were long weekend liftlines 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

He hopes it’s Vail so he can go on his epic pass and probably also for much needed lift and infrastructure upgrades.  It’s pretty sad that Blue is 70 miles south and 1,000 feet lower and has a longer season.  I feel like Elk is far enough from the masses that it won’t get that crowded although I remember when @NMSKI went last year there were long weekend liftlines 

Figured.  But any private investor or otherwise non-vail-entity looking to drop $10-20M on Elk has gotta know they've got another $10-20 they need to spend on lifts and infrastructure.  I just read the Schaefer family dropped $15M on improvements after they bought Catamount and that was for used fixed grips - just ones that aren't 70 years old (albeit, article didn't say if that $15m was all lifts or if there was snowmaking/lodge/etc... in there).  So that's probably the minimum to make Elk's lifts reliable.  Triple that if you think you're doing detachable. 

Elk actually had a couple rough weekends this year wrt lift lines.  Some bad luck on weather (every other weekend being miserable really drove up the crowds on those interleaved good weekends) and then the weekend after President's day was BEAUTIFUL and not crowded.....  until the Quad decided to smoke its hydraulics and was down for nearly a week. so... self-imposed "maintenance / 'Ole Joe is a stingy ole man" problems that time.  Only a few weekends this season that were not-rainy AND cold enough it wasn't too slushy AND normal elk lines (i.e. none).

Small investor with 1-2 other mountains. Make even a modest attempt at making the pricing competitive. Add an Indy Pass for bonus points.  Make the lifts reliable.  For 960 feet of vertical I could care less about detachable, they just need reliability.  That would be the sweet spot for Elk.  I'm not a tree guy, but if that's what it takes to get people out to make the competitive pricing reality, then great.