Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

you caught feelings cause i talked bad about MRG haha. relax buddy

No, I just think you're showing your immaturity. MRG losing their base hurts effects all the ski areas around it and I want to see them all to be successful if I ski there or not. Edited by RootDKJ

ya i was referring to MRG, not the surrounding areas. you choose to read into it and assume i was referencing all surrounding ski areas. again, wishing bad upon a business who openly practices discrimination is not immature, its calling people out for being assholes

If MRG isn't open, then their passholders will go somewhere else. That means longer liftlines and more people on the trails, so there is an effect on other mountains.

Root actually mad river glen losing their base helps sugarbush which has ample snowmaking. People that were planning to ski MRG will probably go to the bush.

Root snowboarders hate mad river glen with a passion. It's not specifically TP4

Really Steeze? Ample snowmaking? Maybe adequate. Sugarbush is rumored to have a 4,000 gpm system at LP and a 2,000 gpm system at ME. They are not connected. They also have a strict snowmaking budget and no block electric. If anything, it helps to open, but it is no behemoth, and during a freeze thaw, they really struggle to recover. They can resurface one to two trails at a time max. The one thing people consistently complain about there, is snowmaking. Personally, I know it's limitations, so it doesn't bother me, but try finding another SB regular who is willing to vouch for it as ample.

Additionally, if things pan out the way they did last year during the freeze thaw, Win will graciously allow MRG pass holders access to the lifts at ME. He's a pretty standup guy in my book. A real asset to the valley.

I think sugarbush blows snow on like 60% of their terrain.

Does mad river glen give free skiing to sugarbush passholders. Win used to post on alpinezone. He's filthy rich that's what he is. A multi millionaire so just wants to keep people happy I guess.

To the best of my knowledge, MRG and SB have reciprocal passes for employees, and you can get an add on for MRG on a college or "for 20's" pass, but because of logistics and mountain infrastructure, full reciprocity doesn't exist and likely never will. MRG couldn't handle the crowds SB would bring. Look at their parking lot, it can barely hold a hundred cars.

And while SB has snowmaking on nearly 70% of their terrain, the system isn't necessarily all that powerful. While SR can blow on 15 trails at once, SB maxes at 3-4 depending on size of trail. They just can't cover that 70% half as quickly.

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

The funny thing is MRG was one of the first places boarders were allowed. Jake worked out of Londonderry and there was a small core of dudes riding the snurfer and later variants at MRG. A women whose name I can't remember owned MRG at the time, some snowboarders derailed the single chair and when confronted she felt they acted like assholes and put the snowboard ban in. The single chair has a very fast haul speed and she claimed they were unable to load properly

Many years later it is now part of their identity, along with the no snowmaking and co-op deal. Legally the issue is 100% clear, snowboarding is not a protected class as such they can do whatever it is they want. From a business perspective it does make some sense though they aren't Deer Valley so how long this can last I don't know. The no snowmaking thing isn't going to last, eventually climate will dicatate at least a basic amount of snowmaking.

IDK I don't like the idea of keeping a certain group out based on something as arbitrary as equipment however I do respect their right to do so. It's like the KKK or something, I wish they didn't exist, I hope people would not act in such a manner but I do support their right to speech and assembly.

• Like 1

I can't believe someone wrote an essay describing the business practices of mrg. I guess I should change my stance now that I know how they operate

It just seemed like you were blowing hot air out of your ass, so I thought I would give you some actual shit to throw.

Believe me when I say that I wish I could ride MRG just like anyone else. But I'm a realist and I realize that no matter how much I bitch and moan about social inequality etc etc, it's not going to change anything, especially when they have something that works for them, the people that put the money into the mountain to save it. I have the right to run my business however I wish, and so do they. When and if they change, I will welcome the chance to go with open arms.

That's two paragraphs with a trailing standalone sentence.

Well written JL. Her name was Betsy Pratt. Time and circumstance can change anything.

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

Her name was Betsy Pratt.

Good memory, my understanding is it kind of snowballed. Betsy started the ban really to deal with like 5 people and all the sudden lots of people were snowboarding before she really ever thought about it again.

I think it will change, the co op will go belly up if they don't get snowmaking long term, Alta and DV will hold out for a long long time.