Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

We take them to Vt all the time, knowing full well we'll be skiing at least one day in the rain....

Actually saw someone wearing a butt flap Saturday afternoon up at Blue...

Must have had a trip here. There's some guy on Epic looking to buy some.

Looking like a potential snowstorm January 2-3rd...

Guy who works in the shop down the block from my restaurant follows some weather cult thing and he's pretty intent that it's going to be a pretty big storm. He's been right on the money the past couple of times as we'll so it should be interesting.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure I was going to head back to VT the 6th, but with some heavy wet snow tonight to add to the locked up base in the woods, and the potential for a big storm this week, I may be back up the 6th to get my training finished and get in some free riding. Id love to get to some new areas. I've got a ticket to Titus, Smuggs, and Owl's Head, so maybe I'll give something new a shot.

• Like 1

This weather sucks. It's totally interfering with my plans for this week as I was hoping to get in two ski days before Thursday. I lost 8" of snow off my lawn (and in the woods) in 36 hours.

I guess I'll just go make some more beer.

• Like 1

Ski tomorrow and Wednesday. How was cross country skiing yesterday?

I didn't go, as it was sleeting when I got back from the airport. I'm thinking maybe just Wednesday now (resurface tomorrow) and then go to VT for a 3 day weekend Thursday afternoon.

Around both poles a vortex forms every winter, basically nearly all the air moves in a west to east pattern in a giant circle around the poles. This pulls super cold air down from the upper atmosphere, the longer the vortex does it's thing the colder the air gets. GW or whatever you want to call it fucks with the jet stream and rossby waves, this introduces a wobble effect. Generally little bits of that air leak out into the mid latitudes and give us a quick blast of cold air.

What happened this year is somewhat strange. Approx two weeks ago a historic sudden warming occurred in the stratosphere and this pretty much killed the polar oscillation or vortex, this heating fucks with the low that forms over the pole that all that air circulates around. Multiple vorticies then form and all this super cold air leaks out into the mid latitudes. Because the air is super cold it is also super dense which is part of the reason it doesn't mix well with the warmer mid lat air.

From what climate persons can tell this years polar vortex is fucked, it probably won't heal until the usual destruction in spring which means our chances for super cold air are good.

Additionally this plays into what's called a positive PNA, basically the jet stream, the large air stream moving west to east over the US and probably the biggest factor in weather, moves very high in the west but then plummets very far south over the Midwest and east coast. Generally north of the jet stream is cold and south is warm so this combined with a fucked AO and negative NAO means very good odds for cold air.

This is good for snow sports certainly, this is the air that keeps the arctic cold so it's gonna work for snow and snow making.

Before you get all boner city on this shit remind yourself that this is the only place you and every other thing in known existence has to live for what will likely be a very long time relative to humans. Your planet is acting very strange and thus you should be quite concerned about what the long term holds.

That's certainly a downer so I'll end on this, the Bearing Sea rule has worked out pretty fucking well this year and that means a big honking Nor Easter should show up Jan 24-28 for the EC. No guarantees, this is weather after all and it could end up an Apps runner but are odds are the best in many years.

• Like 2

Around both poles a vortex forms every winter, basically nearly all the air moves in a west to east pattern in a giant circle around the poles. This pulls super cold air down from the upper atmosphere, the longer the vortex does it's thing the colder the air gets. GW or whatever you want to call it fucks with the jet stream and rossby waves, this introduces a wobble effect. Generally little bits of that air leak out into the mid latitudes and give us a quick blast of cold air.

What happened this year is somewhat strange. Approx two weeks ago a historic sudden warming occurred in the stratosphere and this pretty much killed the polar oscillation or vortex, this heating fucks with the low that forms over the pole that all that air circulates around. Multiple vorticies then form and all this super cold air leaks out into the mid latitudes. Because the air is super cold it is also super dense which is part of the reason it doesn't mix well with the warmer mid lat air.

From what climate persons can tell this years polar vortex is fucked, it probably won't heal until the usual destruction in spring which means our chances for super cold air are good.

Additionally this plays into what's called a positive PNA, basically the jet stream, the large air stream moving west to east over the US and probably the biggest factor in weather, moves very high in the west but then plummets very far south over the Midwest and east coast. Generally north of the jet stream is cold and south is warm so this combined with a fucked AO and negative NAO means very good odds for cold air.

This is good for snow sports certainly, this is the air that keeps the arctic cold so it's gonna work for snow and snow making.

Before you get all boner city on this shit remind yourself that this is the only place you and every other thing in known existence has to live for what will likely be a very long time relative to humans. Your planet is acting very strange and thus you should be quite concerned about what the long term holds.

That's certainly a downer so I'll end on this, the Bearing Sea rule has worked out pretty fucking well this year and that means a big honking Nor Easter should show up Jan 24-28 for the EC. No guarantees, this is weather after all and it could end up an Apps runner but are odds are the best in many years.

Yes, the planet is acting strange. Before the break I sat through a talk at my son's school since I was there to volunteer anyway. Talk about Debbie Downer, this guy was all bad news. Basically said the planet is absolutely doomed in the next 40 years and there is not a thing we can do about it. As in, all life on earth will cease to exist in 40 years. Then he opened it up to questions and every question and idea these kids had the guy just shut them down. In my opinion it was a little over the top for a middle school speaker. It actually took me until the next morning to shake it off, he was that depressing.

I got back from VT on Saturday, up since 6AM packing, 9 hour drive, get home around 7PM, wife is getting sick with cold or flu, unpack the food, then fire up the snow blower, make 3 passes down the driveway and suck in the weekly circulars. Thing is jammed in so tight I had to use a combination of torching, macheteing and handsawing for 45 minutes to get it out. Then got up early to icy roads, went to MIL house to plow her drive. Felt like a hero until I woke up this morning. Rain washed everything away. Looks like 2014 is staarting where 2013 left off. Not winning.

Yes, the planet is acting strange. Before the break I sat through a talk at my son's school since I was there to volunteer anyway. Talk about Debbie Downer, this guy was all bad news. Basically said the planet is absolutely doomed in the next 40 years and there is not a thing we can do about it. As in, all life on earth will cease to exist in 40 years. Then he opened it up to questions and every question and idea these kids had the guy just shut them down. In my opinion it was a little over the top for a middle school speaker. It actually took me until the next morning to shake it off, he was that depressing.

That's nuts and not conducive to a solution. We can fix nearly anything that doesn't violate fundamental laws of physics and nobody is even certain of that. Right now we don't care, the anti people are nearly all so because they don't want to care even though they know as a knowledge thing they are wrong. Their emotions are overriding the logic or knowledge part of their brain.

We can fix this and most of the other things that we perceive as threatening (QFT vaccum state I believe we are fucked ) we just have to want to and we have to change the way we view certain things, primarily money. Money isn't real, it is a tool for use by humans, it can be anything we decide it is, to say something like we cannot fix X when X is a species survival thing because it's too expensive is beyond insane. Imagine trying to explain that to aliens.......

Regardless post deep freeze we get a warm up and then it looks like back into the freezer.

Apparently it's really cold? Even schools in Delaware are being closed. It's a crock of shit. Everybody thinks they are a badass until it's cold. Try telling a Vermonter, even the kids, that they should have off school for cold weather. I bet their stares burn the clothes off your pathetic weak willed ass.