the pics from today thread

Justin

bf4919c82abe07074ec640aad5739c51.jpg

Woke up to a wildfire in the foothills west of my house this morning. Luckily for us it is moving away from our neighborhood. 1000 people evacuated in the foothills and pre-evacuation orders in place for parts of the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woke up to a wildfire in the foothills west of my house this morning. Luckily for us it is moving away from our neighborhood. 1000 people evacuated in the foothills and pre-evacuation orders in place for parts of the city.

Not good. A friend of mine lives up near sugarloaf mountain - hopefully this isn't in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it early for wildfires?

Been very warm and dry here. I called it this morning and looks like it was caused by some homeless "campers." If that is confirmed it will be the second major fire this year caused by transients.

His picture from this morning compared to the day before. He said that it has been contained and luckily has not been evacuated. Also, the view from his house does not suck.

17389191_10105628673549938_7070717765154

• Like 3

News just reported cause of fire was a campfire not properly extinguished in a transient camp area. I wish Boulder would wake up and stop creating more and more services for them. The homeless population in the area are largely not from here. They come from all over because they are treated so great here.

• Like 1

News just reported cause of fire was a campfire not properly extinguished in a transient camp area. I wish Boulder would wake up and stop creating more and more services for them. The homeless population in the area are largely not from here. They come from all over because they are treated so great here.

You know Hawaii buys homeless people one way tickets to the main land. And when they get to Cali they buy them grayhound bus tickets. Alaska has a big homeless problem due to high cost of living and a large prevalence of alcoholism. It's sad but there are lots of jobs out there and some homeless have jobs but can't afford rent. Places like Boulder are welcoming to all..they should take in some Syrian refugees as well..they'll open up take middle eastern restaurants

Doesn't it get cold in Boulder? When we were in Phoenix, there were homeless people everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I picked an orange off a tree in a small park near my son's apartment, and he said I was taking the bum's food! BTW it was the worst orange I ever had.

The Lehigh valley has a colder climate than Boulder and it precipitates a lot more here. Boulder isn't as good for homeless as Florida or Southern California but it's a far cry from NYC and Chicago.

Empty houses outnumber homeless 6:1..the utilitarian in me would say why not give them foreclosed homes..and some are bought up by rescue missions and such.

Doesn't it get cold in Boulder? When we were in Phoenix, there were homeless people everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I picked an orange off a tree in a small park near my son's apartment, and he said I was taking the bum's food! BTW it was the worst orange I ever had.

Florida has the best oranges and Hawaii the best avacados. All I have here is dingleberries

Speaking of Syrian refugees...one of my neighbors sent around an email wanting people to volunteer to either house refugees or help them assimilate, learn English and get jobs. I don't think it will come to fruition but that is the mindset around here.

Also, momskeez it does get cold here and every winter there is a story about a handful of homeless that die from exposure. Some people get all up in arms and say how terrible it is, why didn't we as a community do more to help etc. But they are never from here, not as if some unfortunate person was down on their luck and lost their job and became homeless. The backstory is usually the are from another state, skipped out on parole and are "camping", "traveling" whatever you want to call it. No one forced them to come to Boulder. They could have went to Florida.

I hear it is getting bad in Denver. Locals I have talked to in the ski lifts this season said the 16th st mall hired private security to deal w the homeless problem. They have become increasingly aggressive. In Boulder they are just about on every major corner. The intersection of Broadway and Canyon may as well be called the corner of bum and bum.

A while back one had his sign up at the exit of the grocery store. When I pulled out he started waving and smiling (as some do to try and get you to feel sorry for them). My windows were down but I ignored him. He started banging on the hood of my car and said "I should get the fuck out of Boulder". I started yelling back and said he should get the fuck out because he is not contributing anything to the community. We cursed at each other another minute before I drove off.

They also have been starting to sleep in the park near my house. Saw 2 guys in sleeping bags next to the playground mid morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Barb

A big problem is that most of the insane asylums have been shut down so they just put the mentally ill on the streets.

Barb you live in a bubble of bourgeois bohemians. Wealthy crunchy people who will spend $8 on organic pasta and fair trade coffee yet drive around in big Eco disaster SUVs. I bet some of them even feel guilty that they're white.

• Like 2

A while back one had his sign up at the exit of the grocery store. When I pulled out he started waving and smiling (as some do to try and get you to feel sorry for them). My windows were down but I ignored him. He started banging on the hood of my car and said "I should get the fuck out of Boulder". I started yelling back and said he should get the fuck out because he is not contributing anything to the community. We cursed at each other another minute before I drove off.

Next time just leave but call the cops. (Hopefully they don't shoot him). No sense in elevating your blood pressure over that nonsense

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...