I like trains!!! Train thread...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

ive been studying various railroad ROW's on google maps, both active and abandoned.  as JLaw could probably tell you, property rights involving ROW's over private property is super complicated

I enjoy looking at all RoWs and trying to trace them. There used to be a LVRR line that ran along the base of Blue Mountain in Danielsville and then crossed through the lehigh gap. When coming from Cherryville and approaching the stoplight at the base of the mountain you go down a big dip and that is where the tracks used to cross. If coming from my house, they used to cross right by the post office and you can see an old freight station that is now abandoned. It originally ran out of Bath, through Chapman Quarry, Summit Station (where Moore Twnsp police is) and then in Bender's Junction it split and went to Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap. When I go for runs or rides along the mountain you can see the old RoW and cross it a few times. 

There used to be a line that extended out of Palmerton and ran along the other side of the mountain and in front of CBI into Kresgeville. That one is easier to follow.

LV-Lehigh-Gap.jpg

Fun Fact: There used to be a trolley line that ran into Danielsville and surrounding areas. I believe it was called the Blue Ridge Traction Company

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 3

I enjoy looking at all RoWs and trying to trace them. There used to be a LVRR line that ran along the base of Blue Mountain in Danielsville and then crossed through the lehigh gap. When coming from Cherryville and approaching the stoplight at the base of the mountain you go down a big dip and that is where the tracks used to cross. If coming from my house, they used to cross right by the post office and you can see an old freight station that is now abandoned. It originally ran out of Bath, through Chapman Quarry, Summit Station (where Moore Twnsp police is) and then in Bender's Junction it split and went to Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap. When I go for runs or rides along the mountain you can see the old RoW and cross it a few times. 

There used to be a line that extended out of Palmerton and ran along the other side of the mountain and in front of CBI into Kresgeville. That one is easier to follow.

LV-Lehigh-Gap.jpg

Fun Fact: There used to be a trolley line that ran into Danielsville and surrounding areas. I believe it was called the Blue Ridge Traction Company

i just googled LVRR map and the thing is really extensive.  looks like i will be doing some studying this afternoon.  i see a line on the front face of blue that went to kunkletown.

LVRR_bigmap.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah Kunkletown. Not Kesgeville. I misspoke with that. Its crazy how many spurs went off the main lines. The good ole Black Diamond

its amazing how many railroads there used to be all over america that no longer exist, even in the middle of no where.  there are multiple abandoned lines within minutes of my parent's house and i would guess that 90% of people who live in the area have no idea they even used to exist.

There used to be a line that ran along the LVI airport and through Catty to connect to the main line, but it was actually a tunnel that went under the town of Catasaqua instead of around it or up and over the hill. Still some remnants today, but mostly filled in and out of sight unless you know what you are looking at.

3358183932_0a900e7eae_b.jpg

5150516714_bc41373c1f_b.jpg

its amazing how many railroads there used to be all over america that no longer exist, even in the middle of no where.  there are multiple abandoned lines within minutes of my parent's house and i would guess that 90% of people who live in the area have no idea they even used to exist.

yup. I've gotten almost nothing done this afternoon now. I love this stuff - I just wish I had more free time to dig into it.

• Like 1

There used to be a line that ran along the LVI airport and through Catty to connect to the main line, but it was actually a tunnel that went under the town of Catasaqua instead of around it or up and over the hill. Still some remnants today, but mostly filled in and out of sight unless you know what you are looking at.

3358183932_0a900e7eae_b.jpg

5150516714_bc41373c1f_b.jpg

yup. I've gotten almost nothing done this afternoon now. I love this stuff - I just wish I had more free time to dig into it.

There's apparently a bunch of neat stuff like that around Catasaqua, like tunnels to and from and maybe connecting some of those big assed houses on Pine Street

• Like 1

so i was thinking maybe houses that have subway tracks directly behind them would be cheaper than other houses in the neighborhood, considering trains run constantly 24/7 so maybe the houses are cheaper cause they rattle and shake every 5 minutes, plus you have to worry about vandals trespassing in your back yard.  nope, the houses in the picture are still 7 figures

railway-track-img.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

There used to be a LVRR line that ran along the base of Blue Mountain in Danielsville and then crossed through the lehigh gap. When coming from Cherryville and approaching the stoplight at the base of the mountain you go down a big dip and that is where the tracks used to cross. If coming from my house, they used to cross right by the post office and you can see an old freight station that is now abandoned. It originally ran out of Bath, through Chapman Quarry, Summit Station (where Moore Twnsp police is) and then in Bender's Junction it split and went to Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap. When I go for runs or rides along the mountain you can see the old RoW and cross it a few times. 

LV-Lehigh-Gap.jpg

The line through Danielsville was the Lehigh and New England RR not the Lehigh Valley RR. The bridge in the background of your photo is the Lehigh and New England RR crossing the Lehigh River to where the Lehigh Gap Nature is now. You can still see the bridge abutments there. Some of the trails in the nature center are the old right of way.

• Like 1

The line through Danielsville was the Lehigh and New England RR not the Lehigh Valley RR. The bridge in the background of your photo is the Lehigh and New England RR crossing the Lehigh River to where the Lehigh Gap Nature is now. You can still see the bridge abutments there. Some of the trails in the nature center are the old right of way.

Damn you're right. I've been incorrect all these years.

So the L&NE ran the bridge, so was the LVRR the line that is running on the southern side of the river in the picture? Or the Northern side in Walnutport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1

TP4 - I think the line that ran through Palmerton and into CBI was called the Chestnut Ridge railroad. 

A local favorite of mine was the Northampton and Bath. There is a house on a dirt road that I run by that is made up of two restored N&B cabooses. That line is completely gone now but there is a rail trail in its place. 

100_3921%20-%20Copy%20(2).JPG

• Like 2

So the L&NE ran the bridge, so was the LVRR the line that is running on the southern side of the river in the picture? Or the Northern side in Walnutport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The train in the photo is a Lehigh Valley train and is heading south. The CNJ ran on the other side of the river.

I believe the house in the photo is the Lehigh Gap Nature Center building now. The road on the other side of the river is 248.

• Like 1

The train in the photo is a Lehigh Valley train and is heading south. The CNJ ran on the other side of the river.

I believe the house in the photo is the Lehigh Gap Nature Center building now. The road on the other side of the river is 248.

Yeah that is part of the Nature Center now. The House behind the barn is still standing as well. I guess the only tracks still in place are the CNJ since the south side is now part of the D&L rail trail network.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...