I like trains!!! Train thread...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

ive been studying the LIRR as ive only ridden it twice.  i need to ride the port washington branch cause its open cut through flushing so its bombed pretty good.  i miss commuting by train, the view is so much better than 202 and the 30 bypass

Ohmygod, I grew up on the Port Washington line. What does it mean to say the route is "bombed"?  I couldn't romanticize the LIRR; it lacks charm. But it was reliable and ran almost 'round the clock as I recall, and it was amazing to have such easy access to NYC. As for the lack of charm, here's F. Scott Fitzgerald on Flushing:

"About half way between West Egg and New York the motor road hastily joins the railroad and runs beside it for a quarter of a mile, so as to shrink away from a certain desolate area of land. This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air."

Ohmygod, I grew up on the Port Washington line. What does it mean to say the route is "bombed"?  I couldn't romanticize the LIRR; it lacks charm. But it was reliable and ran almost 'round the clock as I recall, and it was amazing to have such easy access to NYC. As for the lack of charm, here's F. Scott Fitzgerald on Flushing:

"About half way between West Egg and New York the motor road hastily joins the railroad and runs beside it for a quarter of a mile, so as to shrink away from a certain desolate area of land. This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air."

by bombed i mean covered in graffiti. the open cut transit lines are always great canvases for graffiti.  the open cut subway lines in brooklyn are the best because the stations are so close together so they are easier to paint, but the open cut section of the port washington line through flushing is bombed pretty good

1.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 1