Eagle Rock?

Lift Blog

Has anyone skied Eagle Rock in recent years? According to the trail map, the beginner chair is no longer in service. The green trails now just end with no way out. Three other trails are no longer on the map at all. Pretty strange.

https://r8xo93mb8gz1k7lr91b9t48v-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/eagle-rock/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/Ski-Area-Map.pdf

41 minutes ago, liplipliplip said:

I think they're still open but only to property owners and guests.

They're the Yellowstone Club of NEPA.

Is anyone here a member of the Hazleton elite? Or have Ken Pollock of Ken Pollock's Suzuki's number?

PoconoOceanCity used to rent a house there. 

I worked there several years ago. It's a nice mountain but the way they ran it was kind of a joke. Most of the time only a few green trails were open which take about 1 minute to get down. And they only groomed once a week. I have no idea what they're doing now but they haven't been open to the public in years.

Edited by saltyant

Definitely closed to the public. The place is owned by a bigger resort corporation now based out of Texas where their other properties are so they have little interest in skiing and even less of an understanding of how to operate a hill. I skied there about 3 yeas ago and it wasn't bad. Beginner trails up top that funneled into a decently steep bottom section to the main lift. They were running the beginner lift at the time. Lodges at both the top and bottom. They don't have a ton of staff or equipment so it takes them a while to get open and they focus on the snow tubing lately because that is what most people up there seem to be interested in. 

image.png.59538cdca0d757a0e3cee2ac7ee6cd1b.png

Some interesting things when you look at this trail map.

1. Looks like they discontinued use of a decent number of trails and lifts 

2. Playing to the homeowners there, I'm seeing something I've ever seen on any other trail map. Look at the two listed "Beginner" trails. Number 3 is "Sleigh Riding Area". I'm sure that's a direct result of people showing up with sleds and being annoyed that they can't use them. 

3 minutes ago, Schif said:

image.png.59538cdca0d757a0e3cee2ac7ee6cd1b.png

Some interesting things when you look at this trail map.

1. Looks like they discontinued use of a decent number of trails and lifts 

2. Playing to the homeowners there, I'm seeing something I've ever seen on any other trail map. Look at the two listed "Beginner" trails. Number 3 is "Sleigh Riding Area". I'm sure that's a direct result of people showing up with sleds and being annoyed that they can't use them. 

Sleigh riding area funnels into an "expert" trail.  for the extreme sleigh riders only.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

PoconoOceanCity used to rent a house there. 

We spent the winters of 2008-2013 there. When my girls started at 3 it was a great place to learn. They were not good at making snow and would not have the whole place open until MLK weekend. They only groomed on Thursday and then opened at noon on Friday and closed at 4 on Monday. I’m positive they are not open to the public now and I’m pretty sure they closed to the public in 2014.

6 hours ago, trackbiker said:

I skied there once about 10 years ago. Everything was open and it was OK for what it is.

Wow! From the trail map it looks like they took out the chairs and put in gondolas for all of that 400 vertical feet.

Wow the only other place I know with two side by side gondolas is Jackson Hole.  

• 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine they'll be open much longer. Whenever their next lift overhaul comes due it'll probably be the end. Either that or something major like needing to put money into the snowmaking system.

It's a shame. Private areas can work but they need an ownership group that cares about skiing and who does a bunch of outreach to get the community on board with supporting their ski area. It seems to work at Saw Creek, although that is a much, much smaller operation. 

Edited by EdBacon

• 2 months later...

I got curious so started searching for YouTube videos shot at eagle rock this year and found this one.

Looks like the chairs are off the beginner lift and they have a on snow shuttle instead. At least that’s what I got out of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, enjoralas said:

Probably unserviceable stemming from something @saltyantdid when he worked there

Nah, I just pushed the red and yellow buttons. They are cheap AF there

One time I was skiing on my lunch break and I yelled to the lift mechanic, "Hey Jimbob, did ja fix the lift yet???" Later he gave me a stern talking to about yelling that in front of clientele. He was pissssed 

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1