Opening Day Dec 11

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Looks like Jackson Frost is opening on Friday. They are giving away free cookies and hot cocoa @Ski2Live Live2Ski, make sure you bring a doggy bag. Also they used my brah from the Breckenridge Trip in their promotional photograph. I hope he gets rich from Epic Resorts commish.

Untitled.png.6c113fe3ef764f58982c04fa622d348f.png

This is getting good.   I’m not gonna ask about Floyd’s.. @Robert2 will not want to talk about Floyd’s.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

“A couple weeks” for big Boulder. That place can open with 2 days of snowmaking…. 

True.  But Vail has taken away BB's identity removing most of the park stuff, so i can see why they arent real concerned with jumping right on having both open early season.  

im still blown away with the upgrades they did at BB.  

• Like 1

Its crazy that Boulder almost always opened first in PA, then vail comes in and now they aren't even a contender. Hell, blue fucking knob, the resort that runs off of redneck farts and fishing twine opened before boulder.

Hopefully the park crew/groomers that worked at boulder park will start making parks elsewhere. I don't ride much park anymore, but when I did, the geometry and design of their jumps were incredible compared to everywhere else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

True.  But Vail has taken away BB's identity removing most of the park stuff, so i can see why they arent real concerned with jumping right on having both open early season.  

im still blown away with the upgrades they did at BB.  

I was thinking more along the lines of night skiing vs catering to the park crowd, I’d have to imagine after last year most of the park regulars have moved elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion time.  

Vail is operating these resorts very similar to blue ridge (prior to Peak).  I think Blue Ridge technically still owns the resorts and they are operated under a lease agreement. In a way, vail is bringing JFBB  back to their roots, while pumping in a ton of money.  JF always used to open before BB when I was a kid. I think it is generally a good thing to focus on JF as it is by far a better mountain. 

Its nice to see some money put into these places.  They were getting pretty tired.  I, for one, am stoked that my childhood ski area (JF) has a pretty bright future under Vail.  

I get that park rats are disappointed, but it is what it is.  

Edited by jordan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jordan said:

Unpopular opinion time.  

Vail is operating these resorts very similar to blue ridge (prior to Peak).  I think Blue Ridge technically still owns the resorts and they are operated under a lease agreement. In a way, vail is bringing JFBB  back to their roots, while pumping in a ton of money.  JF always used to open before BB when I was a kid. I think it is generally a good thing to focus on JF as it is by far a better mountain. 

Its nice to see some money put into these places.  They were getting pretty tired.  I, for one, am stoked that my childhood ski area (JF) has a pretty bright future under Vail.  

This is actually a pretty accurate analysis of what is going on there and it is always good to see money being put into small hills that haven't seen any upgrades in years. 

39 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

Hopefully the park crew/groomers that worked at boulder park will start making parks elsewhere. I don't ride much park anymore, but when I did, the geometry and design of their jumps were incredible compared to everywhere else.

Quoted for the truth.

22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I was thinking more along the lines of night skiing vs catering to the park crowd, I’d have to imagine after last year most of the park regulars have moved elsewhere. 

They/we have moved on.

49 minutes ago, jordan said:

Unpopular opinion time.  

I think this is pretty accurate.  i was thinking shortly after the purchase that Vail pretty much didnt give a fuck about either, and were going to let them go to shit as much as possible.  Both JF and BB are pretty big for that area.  take them away, and you take quite a bit from the area.  pretty much just left with Split Rock.  

They are opening Tubing again, at least at Boulder.  I never figured out why they wernt interested in running that cash cow since they bought it.  

I am always interested in who owns what and whatnot, so i looked up JF, since its in Carbon, and i know how to use thier GIS, and the property is owned by JFBB ski areas Inc, Broomfield CO, so i do think Vail owns the land.  

27 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'm sure they don't remember me. It's been a minute, besides All I did was hang out with JFDan and Phillycore when I wasn't teaching 

I don’t think we’re gonna see phillycore at Blue.  I’ve asked him a few times on FB and he always ignores the question.  I don’t think his new wife wants him skiing after he told her about his wipeout at elk.  

19 hours ago, saltyant said:

Looks like Jackson Frost is opening on Friday. They are giving away free cookies and hot cocoa @Ski2Live Live2Ski, make sure you bring a doggy bag. Also they used my brah from the Breckenridge Trip in their promotional photograph. I hope he gets rich from Epic Resorts commish.

Untitled.png.6c113fe3ef764f58982c04fa622d348f.png

Even with Friday being better skiing than Sat or Sun I can't bring myself to take off work and drive 2 hrs each way for 3 x 400' vert runs that are "green", "may as well be green", and "would be green but saddled with park features". 

Maybe if I hadn't been to Hunter Saturday.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Even with Friday being better skiing than Sat or Sun I can't bring myself to take off work and drive 2 hrs each way for 3 x 400' vert runs that are "green", "may as well be green", and "would be green but saddled with park features". 

F870F9D0-8219-4E60-AE6E-0C82C1B97530.gif

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Jane's Lane is pretty rad and is a hardcore blue square. I thought maybe if you consumed enough free cookies and hot cocoa, that would generate enough savings from not having to buy food and beverages for the day and that would make up for the money spent for gas to drive 2 hrs each way.

Edited by saltyant

8 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Jane's Lane is pretty rad and is a hardcore blue square. I thought maybe if you consumed enough free cookies and hot cocoa, that would generate enough savings from not having to buy food and beverages for the day and that would make up for the money spent for gas to drive 2 hrs each way.

951B91EC-0DD5-417D-A0DB-301D4503ECCE.gif

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1