Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

That's a reasonably safe bet...we've had pretty good luck with November skiing in PA the last few years.

Plus everything is setting up again like last year except earlier. I hope you guys get the same amount of snow and we get more farther north...

Ride DE what did you do in the Catskills?

I did a small hike and camped.

I was up in the Catskills this past weekend. Foliage is really starting up. Way more than a couple random trees changing color.

J Law, anything happening with the weather in the short term?

Ice dude, Antarctic ice is like crazy crazy high and most of the Northern passages never opened this year.

Cold, all the great lakes are under their seasonal avg temps.

Atlantic multidecadal oscillation is in the first stage of negative if you believe in the AMO. AMO not to be confused with the NAO or AO also called the polar vortex is this idea that surface sea temps oscillate roughly every 10 years between warmer and colder patterns. We have been in a warm or positive phase since about 2000 but this years probably starts the negative or colder phase.

That sounds good right, we all like cold air, the problem is it doesn't snow in PA if it's cold. The vast vast majority of PA snow events are around the freezing mark. Cold air is more dense than warm air and super cold air makes it tough for the warm air to penetrate.

GW says the NE should be snowier and colder, a mother fuck ton of cold air seems to be around and this summer was generally pretty cool. My gut says lots of cold air but not alot of snow. I think if they want to be open in mid late Nov that's possible but that decision is often based on lots of other things than weather.

Last year was pretty rare, memory says we went basically Jan-Mar without a thaw. That's pretty fucking weird, also we should have gotten alot more snow than we did. Mid Atlantic was rocking the snow dome pretty hard last year, lots of dry slotting and we ended up with a good amount of snow on the ground.

Snow is very very tricky though, 100mi makes a world of difference and that's super short term 24/48hr stuff. Also from a skier's perspective it needs to come at the right time. Blue slayage went down because you got near perfect snowfall, a bunch of super wet heavy base shit and then a couple of lighter dumps on top. It could certainly snow more but in the opposite order or all super light which could result in more snow on the ground when you tally it up at the end of the year but no bowl slayage.

Basically that's alot of words to say nobody fucking knows but it seems like there will be plenty of cold air around.

• Like 2

Y'all see this weather site?  

Should help in forecasting the microclimate at Blue...

Click on 'earth' in lower left to change parameters.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/500hPa/orthographic=-85.56,41.84,868

Bad fucking ass, makes me want to score some peyote........Jet stream all out of sorts.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...