Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

NOAA just bumped my work up to 9-10 inches and my house up to 13-14 inches.  

what a great past few days.  I spent 3 hours shoveling my driveway last night and it was fucking awesome.  I didn’t talk to anyone at work today...no phone calls, no emails, nothing.  Spent the entire day removing snow from the lot and it was great.

• Like 1

Today I learned that a large amount of snow packs down the snow at the bottom and snowblower effectiveness approaches zero because it bottoms out on the packed shit and wheels won't grip. Clearing it was awful and I only did a 'good enough' job. 

There is an assload of snow tho. Unreal. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Benm said:

Today I learned that a large amount of snow packs down the snow at the bottom and snowblower effectiveness approaches zero because it bottoms out on the packed shit and wheels won't grip. Clearing it was awful and I only did a 'good enough' job. 

I learned that today as well at home. 

18 minutes ago, Benm said:

1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

I learned that today as well at home. 

My snowblower broke this morning. The auger and blades won't spin anymore. Hoping its not a belt or something where I need to take it somewhere. It isn't the shear pins.

7 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

My snowblower broke this morning. The auger and blades won't spin anymore. Hoping its not a belt or something where I need to take it somewhere. It isn't the shear pins.

Edit: I can't read. 

If both aren't spinning, it's likely a belt or the lever isn't engaging it (I have seen this happen where the bracket snaps). Belt swap is definitely not as difficult as you think. 

Edited by Benm

Oh, and my neighbor across the street was running his snowblower up my other neighbors driveway when he got a hold of some chicken wire she had up around some bushes. Ever seen”daddys home 2” when will farrell sucks up the christmas lights with the snowblower?  
my neighbors blower doesnt spin anymore either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Benm said:

Edit: I can't read. 

And I can't fix things like this. I haven't had the chance to google it to see what might be the problem. For some reason it feels like there is something with the handle. It doesn't feel like it is pulling back with pressure... if that makes sense? I dunno. 

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

And I can't fix things like this. I haven't had the chance to google it to see what might be the problem. For some reason it feels like there is something with the handle. It doesn't feel like it is pulling back with pressure... if that makes sense? I dunno. 

Thats the bracket I meant. Could be something else, like a broken/stretched cable. 

YouTube, you can do it. 

Edited by Benm
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Once you drive on it plows can't get it up unless its a tandem axle penndot. 

Yeah I know, I get that driving on it packs it down but this shit I'm talking about was in the middle of the driveway. im not driving a steamroller. 

51 minutes ago, Benm said:

You’ll get used to it.  They don’t teach you these sorts of things in southeastern PA. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Take it to Albrights hardware. They’ll have it fixed for you in 8-10 weeks. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

A really long time...

I saw picture of your driveway and could see blacktop so you did a meticulous job. I spent 40 minutes shoveling my car out earlier and it was the most shoveling I’ve done since the town meeting day storm of 2001 when I was in college where Burlington Vt received about 27 inches and I shoveled an entire long driveway so I could get my car out and go skiing.  

All this talk about shoveling, and snowblowers and stuff and I'm over here with a well plowed parking lot and sidewalks that are shoveled for me. I didn't even bother digging my car out. I have a cover for the windshield I just peeled off, shooshed the snow off of the side windows, rear window, and hood with my old mittens and backed my AWD over the snow behind me and scooted my way to work today. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Schif said:

All this talk about shoveling, and snowblowers and stuff and I'm over here with a well plowed parking lot and sidewalks that are shoveled for me. I didn't even bother digging my car out. I have a cover for the windshield I just peeled off, shooshed the snow off of the side windows, rear window, and hood with my old mittens and backed my AWD over the snow behind me and scooted my way to work today. 

You didn’t get 27” though.  

10 hours ago, Benm said:

You seem to be learning a lot about snow lately!

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You didn’t get 27” though.  

Ended up between 22-24" here, depending on measurement location.

Did half the driveway, plow push, mailbox with snowblower w/out issue.

Son goes to do other half, makes one pass, "Dad, it won't blow anymore snow"
Belt shot.  Trying to find one locally now is like trying to buy a generator when hurricane rolls through...
See the shovel over there son?  Meet your new blower!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah, ok, so whats going on (most likely) is the engine spins a belt, or 2 that makes it "go", and spins the "spinny thing" to quote BenM.  Pulling the handle engages a pulley that makes those things work.  If the handles arent engaged, the belt is either not moving, or just spinning around an idler pulley.  

I would agree with Ben, sort of sounds like you have a disconnect somewhere between the handle and pulley, which might be the cable or a bracket.  If this is the case, its very likely we can get around this with some shade tree mechanics.  (my specialty).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1