the pics from today thread

Justin

Exactly. It also insulates, so if it's howling winds and below zero it helps as well. Personally, if it's snowing, I have TWO pair of "waterproof" pants on PLUS the butt flap. I don't want to go in because I'm wet, I want to ski. I'm way past worrying about looking good.

I think you just need some better pants. Last year I spent 6 days in a row riding open to close at Whistler while it dumped the entire time. 12+in every day, bottom less pow in the trees. I stayed dry as a bone in my burton AK gear.
  • Like 2

So, there's like 500 people here who all need "better pants".

Better pants, or they need to learn how to take care of their gear to keep it waterproof. When I'm out west I spend all day riding and hiking around in the side and backcountry and never get wet. You wanna wear a butt flap to stay warm go right ahead but you should never need to wear two pairs of pants.

The extra pants keep my hands and toes warm as well. The case of handwarmers expired largely unused once I started that. I only wear the butt flap if it's dumping or riming. I wear the extra (waterproof shell) pants if it's single digits or snowing. What difference does it make if I wear them or not anyway? I know what works for me. You know what works for you. If the "look" here locally is butt flaps, then so what?

• Like 2

Found on someone's blog:

By Zippy, 2-09-11

My home hill is NW MT's Whitefish Mtn. Resort in the Northern Rockies. We get a lot of fog, rime & other precip here so a good small rubber/silicone squeegee for the goggles is a good thing, as well as a container of CatCrap hydrophobic goo. Also those butt flaps are REALLY popular up here since they actually DO keep the cold wet stuff away from your butt when you are on those long lift rides. We also have tons of treed/gladed areas with huge tree wells due to the high snowfall levels (2 fatalities this year so far) so an emergency whistle attached close to the face & emergency shovel are good to have also. And I would rather have a $5 pair of powder cords attached to my $1400 skis than to lose one in the powder which we get a lot of up here. Oh yes I also NEVER ski/ride without a helmet. And an inside-the-helmet weight face balaclava.

I don't know this person (as far as I know), but it's clearly a local thing.

Then (I do know this guy), this blog shows the author in his butt flap. http://northernrockiesview.com/

Edited by sibhusky

Just any old picture from today. Was too busy to think about it.

Spent the AM (socked-in conditions) skiing with Glenn and Lindsey, the PM skiing with friends from out of town.

422551_10150643317002488_691667487_9036522_280154267_n.jpg

Glenn missed the soft stuff by a day.

A lot of snowboarders have been switching over. Those look like good skis for the bonkyard.

yeah ive noticed that too. its fun so i can see why they are. im definitely buying a pair of ski's next year.

Who's are those??? I feel like I've seen these hanging out in the shop.

this kid i live with at school. he's a patroller up there so you probably have seen them around somewhere.

Ok I know its not snow. Jordan is the man for getting out there, but I can't think of snow since the weather here is so nice. First-second flatiron trail today.

This is where I took my first break. Met a guy from Tennessee who was visiting from grad school. Talked to him for a few. Then he told me he was in grad school studying religious studies and asked me where I went to church. Time to keep moving.

firstflatironhike006.jpg

The top

firstflatironhike004.jpg

The route

1st2ndflatirontrail.jpg

whens the last time someone on this board broke 100?

you guys are slackin. i broke a hundo twice in my skiing career so far. not including summer skiing.

you call yourselves skiers.

100 days? Never, personally. Got 63 in so far this year.

We're supposed to be open 117 this year, but I avoid Christmas and much of Presidents' week, so hard to get 100 in. I'm expecting (barring any accidents) to hit over 75, maybe even 80? But, when is a "day", a DAY? Some days I ski over 30k, and then there have been a few that were under 10k.