The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

Just booked 7 days of skiing at JH for less than last year, and we're flying out of ABE instead of PHL. Pretty good deal.

ABE is picking up some really good flights here lately. I know that a buddy of mine got his flight to Denver cheaper, and he didn't have to worry about paying to store his car.

ABE is picking up some really good flights here lately. I know that a buddy of mine got his flight to Denver cheaper, and he didn't have to worry about paying to store his car.

Hopefully this is a trend. Last year I took the bus from Bethlem to EWR that broke down on 78.Luckily I had a few hours to kill. A legit airport in the LV would be huge.

$119 less than last year

Use it for dance lessons.

• Like 2

I always fly out of ABE when I go west...Worth it not to drive to Philly or Newark...

Doesn't really bother me because I generally feel more confident flying mainline UA out of PHL vs UAX out of ABE when it comes to on time performance. I always leave extra connection time when flying out of ABE (gate not available, waiting for gate checked bag, the hike from E/F to B/C in ORD, etc). So, I take the 6am out of ABE instead of the 7am out of PHL/EWR for the same connection in Chicago. It takes me an hour to get to PHL/EWR,...not having to drive is nice, of course. And, flying to Jackson out of ABE was over $100 less than either PHL or EWR (no brainer).

I love to support the airport...100% of work travel is out of ABE, but it's hard to justify ABE (recently) for personal travel. In the past two years, I've flown 26 trips out of PHL/EWR and only 3 personal trips out of ABE (and I can go from my couch at home to the jet bridge in <15m minutes). When American cancelled their ABE-ORD service, United jacked their prices back up. The airport saddled with huge debt due to a lawsuit over land from the early 90's. Frontier was going to add ABE-DEN service in addition to their ABE-Orlando service, but when ABE decided to jack up their fuel prices, Frontier decided to pull out completely. Shitty times for the airport. If we didn't have PHL and EWR <75miles away, we'd have much better service (mainline, more destinations, etc). Where do you draw the line though? What's the convenience of ABE worth? $50 more? $100 more? $150 more?

Doesn't really bother me because I generally feel more confident flying mainline UA out of PHL vs UAX out of ABE when it comes to on time performance. I always leave extra connection time when flying out of ABE (gate not available, waiting for gate checked bag, the hike from E/F to B/C in ORD, etc). So, I take the 6am out of ABE instead of the 7am out of PHL/EWR for the same connection in Chicago. It takes me an hour to get to PHL/EWR,...not having to drive is nice, of course. And, flying to Jackson out of ABE was over $100 less than either PHL or EWR (no brainer).

I love to support the airport...100% of work travel is out of ABE, but it's hard to justify ABE (recently) for personal travel. In the past two years, I've flown 26 trips out of PHL/EWR and only 3 personal trips out of ABE (and I can go from my couch at home to the jet bridge in <15m minutes). When American cancelled their ABE-ORD service, United jacked their prices back up. The airport saddled with huge debt due to a lawsuit over land from the early 90's. Frontier was going to add ABE-DEN service in addition to their ABE-Orlando service, but when ABE decided to jack up their fuel prices, Frontier decided to pull out completely. Shitty times for the airport. If we didn't have PHL and EWR <75miles away, we'd have much better service (mainline, more destinations, etc). Where do you draw the line though? What's the convenience of ABE worth? $50 more? $100 more? $150 more?

I hear what your sayin..I gotta make a stop in ORD on my way to MT...But I really don't dig the 757/767s..just to many people for me(lack of funding stops me from first class)...I don't mind UAX..This kinda sounds retarded but I like the Embraer 145/CRJ 700 commuters better..Less people/boards-deplane quicker...Plus it's easier to find someone to drop off/pick up at ABE than PHL/EWR.

I would consider flying out of PHL/EWR for certain destinations though...

I hear what your sayin..I gotta make a stop in ORD on my way to MT...But I really don't dig the 757/767s..just to many people for me(lack of funding stops me from first class)...I don't mind UAX..This kinda sounds retarded but I like the Embraer 145/CRJ 700 commuters better..Less people/boards-deplane quicker...Plus it's easier to find someone to drop off/pick up at ABE than PHL/EWR.

I would consider flying out of PHL/EWR for certain destinations though...

The ER4's are only eclipsed by the CRJ200 in terms of worst planes ever. The CR7's are nice, but the Embraer E170/175s are about the most comfortable plane out there (UA or UAX). I actually prefer the 757 for upgrade purposes due to the 24 first class seats. And the fact that you get to turn left when you board ;)

It's a close to $200 difference between flying out of PHL vs. ABE to come here. That's a huge difference.

Agreed...$200 and I'm 100% driving to Newark or Philly.

When dad flips the bill for everything you always fly first class........

he'll do whatever it takes to get me 1800 miles away ;)

but really...it's all on me.

I've only flown first class 6 times. It's pretty nice...

Including the time where you sat up front and I was in the back. You're welcome.

I don't think I've ever flown anything more than coach. Must sound weird to hear that from a "rich kid" Doug...

Same thing here. I never understood the fascination with first class. If you're flying domestically it's a 4 or 5 hour flight max anyway. I would rather save that cash for something fun when I get where I'm going.

It's probably not much of a surprise then when I say that my go to airline is Southwest.

Edited by Schif

I recall flying first class once. Business. At that time whatever company I was with had some kind of distance thing where if the trip was longer, you got first class. Naturally that disappeared by the time I was sent to Munich..