BC/XC anything but resort skiing.

GSSucks

• 2 weeks later...

Completely ignored plowing the driveway in favor of taking a tour around the block on the uphill setup. 
IMG_9551.thumb.jpeg.7bfed6914e4ee39617d9b6a1d7ab3b88.jpeg

all people do in my development is complain about the roads not being plowed down to the asphalt. I say embrace it. It was nice just to get out and play in the snow. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Snuck out yesterday after work while it was still snowing for some xc miles at Bethlehem municipal 9-hole golf course and some of the little league fields. Felt great getting in some movement on snow and xc boots don't hurt my foot anywhere near as much as downhill boots right now so that is a win. Maybe go out for an evening mile or two or possibly tomorrow while there is still some snow around. Gotta embrace it since last year wasn't feasible. 

There were 3 other sets of tracks out there from what looks like the last snowstorm. Nice place to just cruise around. 

IMG_6080.thumb.jpeg.0bcdbba1f122a917fd8753f207a34fc6.jpeg

IMG_6087.jpeg

IMG_6079.jpeg

That's sick xc stoke! Did you ever go out by leaser lake ? When I stop to pee I always think i should bring a rig and check it out.  

• Like 1

Afternoon foray. Deep Creek park at Greenlane. I had thoughts of untracked runs but there were tons of parents and kids who left not 1” untouched ☹️

So I settled for a couple laps off the disc golf path , no much pitch but fun .
Met a fellow named Rodney who skis at Blue a lot. He was doing some XC with a bunch of family. 

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

• Like 5

How did I not know that Crested Butte had a free Nordic section all these years?  There is an elaborate trail system you have to buy a pass for but there are a few free loops. 

Went to the resort this morning to extremely flat light. I took exactly one run and decided to leave. I hate that my stupid old eyes just can’t see, just not worth it. So left and got my XC set up and my friend and  I did a lap on the “poop loop” which is the dog friendly loop. 
IMG_9018.thumb.jpeg.11eb870a7c0c7f50785aa303738a9b5e.jpeg

IMG_9027.jpeg.b2f6525769184379858f325618826144.jpeg

Fingers crossed visibility is better tomorrow. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Barb said:

How did I not know that Crested Butte had a free Nordic section all these years?  There is an elaborate trail system you have to buy a pass for but there are a few free loops. 

Went to the resort this morning to extremely flat light. I took exactly one run and decided to leave. I hate that my stupid old eyes just can’t see, just not worth it. So left and got my XC set up and my friend and  I did a lap on the “poop loop” which is the dog friendly loop. 
IMG_9018.thumb.jpeg.11eb870a7c0c7f50785aa303738a9b5e.jpeg

IMG_9027.jpeg.b2f6525769184379858f325618826144.jpeg

Fingers crossed visibility is better tomorrow. 

I really want to take my skis to a nordic center and try them out rather than break trail. That looks like fun there! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

I really want to take my skis to a nordic center and try them out rather than break trail. That looks like fun there! 

My skis are fat and don’t fit in the track.  I will say that you lose energy transfer outside of the track as the skis naturally go sideways a bit. When in a track all that energy is just propelled forward.  But yes, it’s a great area. I will be here most of the week and will try to hit it daily. Just a good bit of cardio. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Did a nice walk on D&L Sunday, started at Glen Onoko. Saw some cross country skiers. I’d love to try it, husband not interested, unfortunately. I already have one hobby that takes me away most of the winter. Don’t need 2. 

IMG_8211.jpeg

IMG_8207.jpeg

IMG_8205.jpeg

Years ago I took a class thru one of the state parks in the Poconos. I am sure there are places that offer cheap intro classes for you to try it. You can get a setup pretty cheap, especially used. Don’t let your husband’s lack of enthusiasm stop you. I say try it! 

A quick search showed free lessons at this state park. Trail pass $15

https://paccsa.org/paccsa-ski-lessons

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got started at Greek Peak's Nordic Center years ago, definitely worth checking out with rental gear if not a lesson. The closest XC center is probably high point NJ. There was another one around Williamsport but not coming up on the goog

There's a lot of cheap used stuff out there these days but it takes a little bit of knowledge/time to sift through to get something you'll enjoy. For someone starting who wants to do ungroomed rail trails, golf courses, parks etc I'd look forNNN BC stuff, its a little wider and more stable than classic track NNN

7 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

He said he’d try snowshoes. Maybe I’ll need to compromise. 

meh better that nothing, get some altai hoks!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...