BC/XC anything but resort skiing.

GSSucks

Correct me if I’m wrong but the duke PT requires you to remove part of the toe piece to use it in uphill mode, ya? If that’s a concern, shifts are the way to go. I have pivots on all the things, so CAST was my preferred route, with dynafit speed radical toes. I have to swap toes for the up vs down, but if you if you’re doing inbounds stuff with the ski 90%+ of the time and are strong enough to push a pivot 15 DIN-wise, it’s a great option. I can bring em to blue this weekend if you wanna check em out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Boner City 1

2 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the duke PT requires you to remove part of the toe piece to use it in uphill mode, ya? If that’s a concern, shifts are the way to go. I have pivots on all the things, so CAST was my preferred route, with dynafit speed radical toes. I have to swap toes for the up vs down, but if you if you’re doing inbounds stuff with the ski 90%+ of the time and are strong enough to push a pivot 15 DIN-wise, it’s a great option. I can bring em to blue this weekend if you wanna check em out.

No one cares you have pivots with cast plates, and use a rubber band to hold up the brakes. ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Boner City 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

anyone up for a RAW XC to check out Weiser SF in Albrightsville tomorrow or Wednesday evening '22? @Mixilplix @toast21602 @abe ?

I am not sure I will be able to make it all the way up there during a weekday but keep me updated, it would be cool to meet up sometime

18 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

anyone up for a RAW XC to check out Weiser SF in Albrightsville tomorrow or Wednesday evening '22? @Mixilplix @toast21602 @abe ?

Not positive what kind of snow you like for XC, but i would call the snow up there dust on crust.  Had a few little bursts of snow on top of frozen snow, sort of ice-like.  

14 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Technically you don't have to remove the toe piece for uphill mode, it simply flips forward.
From what I've read/seen, the point is that for short uphill stints you can just leave them on the ski.
For extended uphills, you're better off taking them off. 
You push the front tab down to unlock and flip the toe piece forward exposing two clips that you pinch to release it from the ski.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Technically you don't have to remove the toe piece for uphill mode, it simply flips forward.
From what I've read/seen, the point is that for short uphill stints you can just leave them on the ski.
For extended uphills, you're better off taking them off. 
You push the front tab down to unlock and flip the toe piece forward exposing two clips that you pinch to release it from the ski.

I'm going to need to see these a bit more this weekend to see what you mean. Sounds interesting. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Would love to see them.  Gotta gather more intel.

I'll only be up on Saturday morning this weekend.  

• Like 1

Didn’t get enough of the outdoors at Blue today, so decided to noodle around the yard trying out the new stuff.  Everything worked as expected, just need more experience with it.  @JFskiDan the skins didn’t glide very well to start, but also did get better after a while.  They sure make some strange sound when gliding.

D14EE1A9-3F57-4D68-9C93-039C877D4BD8.thumb.jpeg.2257480b046407858f6579d5e4ff27aa.jpeg4FC018F4-3D41-49E9-90F2-1FC7348C428C.thumb.jpeg.6d2c3a9429977408ee36d338e6cd5871.jpeg

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Didn’t get enough of the outdoors at Blue today, so decided to noodle around the yard trying out the new stuff.  Everything worked as expected, just need more experience with it.  @JFskiDan the skins didn’t glide very well to start, but also did get better after a while.  They sure make some strange sound when gliding.

D14EE1A9-3F57-4D68-9C93-039C877D4BD8.thumb.jpeg.2257480b046407858f6579d5e4ff27aa.jpeg4FC018F4-3D41-49E9-90F2-1FC7348C428C.thumb.jpeg.6d2c3a9429977408ee36d338e6cd5871.jpeg

Marker Duke PT bindings? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

I think that jacket is even older than my ski helmet.  Is that from when you used to play football at Polk high school with Al Buddy lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Correct

I was curious and did some homework . My daily drivers are old Dukes and they weigh a freaking ton 3lbs 1oz a piece . My other setup is Dynafit Radical ST's that weigh 1lb 3 oz . I see the PT's weigh 2lbs 11oz but I'm not sure how much weight is reduced by removing the toe piece .  I found out the hard way the extra weight is a killer if you go any lengthy distance . Especially old and overweight like me . Having a toe release mechanism is worth some extra sweat I believe. 

Salomon shift is a little under 2lbs but doesn't look as beefy as the markers. JMHO 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

You can tell alot about what is going on by the sound they are making and you got them apart that's always the hardest for me but apparently the new g3s are super easy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

I was curious and did some homework . My daily drivers are old Dukes and they weigh a freaking ton 3lbs 1oz a piece . My other setup is Dynafit Radical ST's that weigh 1lb 3 oz . I see the PT's weigh 2lbs 11oz but I'm not sure how much weight is reduced by removing the toe piece .  I found out the hard way the extra weight is a killer if you go any lengthy distance . Especially old and overweight like me . Having a toe release mechanism is worth some extra sweat I believe. 

Salomon shift is a little under 2lbs but doesn't look as beefy as the markers. JMHO 

The toepiece is the majority of the weight.  It's definitely beefy and removing it drops the weight substantially.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

You can tell alot about what is going on by the sound they are making and you got them apart that's always the hardest for me but apparently the new g3s are super easy.

What I find difficult are getting the front clips situated properly.  Kinda hokey design as opposed to others that just have a metal rectangle that slips over the top of the ski which I would think would be the easiest to put on.   Maybe there's some trick to putting them on that I'm not aware of.

Doh!  Guess a little searching first would have helped...

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2

Short afternoon tour on the local GC to try out my new XC skis...The first kick wax I applied didn't really do much so I applied a softer wax and it seemed to help a lot...Kick wax is some really bizarre stuff..... The skis kick and glide nice ..even on slight up hills but the waxless skis do much better one the pitch gets a little more aggressive...Was just super fun to get out for an hour or so ..

20220131_163529.jpg

20220131_163719.jpg

20220131_164231.jpg

20220131_165403.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, indiggio said:

What I find difficult are getting the front clips situated properly.  Kinda hokey design as opposed to others that just have a metal rectangle that slips over the top of the ski which I would think would be the easiest to put on.   Maybe there's some trick to putting them on that I'm not aware of.

Doh!  Guess a little searching first would have helped...

Wait till you try putting them on in a 20mph wind 😁Mine are 9yrs old and still work well. The rubber bungee type hook works on both sets of skis. 

E0594216-5B41-43F1-B3C5-BD7C59580481.png

• Like 1