1/9… Glazed Donut

Dirtwolf

Just now, toast21602 said:

Do we actually know what the options were for folks stuck at the bottom? Last year when the lifts went down they offered the shuttle van but said it would take a while to get everyone to the top so they told people they could walk up to the doubles if they didn't want to wait. Similar to that big February storm last year when people walked up to the doubles. It would be super shitty if they just stranded people but I can't imagine they just left people down there with no options. This is Blue, not Camelback. 

They said no shuttles due to Covid. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The smart ones would have taken the learning area magic carpets to get up to the Main Street lift. 

Maybe, but no one should have to hike anywhere because of blue's incompetence. 

They could have towed them with snowmobiles or the cat. 

They drive multiple people in those golf carts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Benm said:

They could have towed them with snowmobiles or the cat. 

They drive multiple people in those golf carts. 

Driving that golf cart up Blue mountain drive would get them dropped by their insurance company.  It happens at other ski resorts.  When far out lifts go down people sometimes have to hoof uphill to get to another lift. 

Hopefully blue gets enough complaints to get some sort of action plan in place.  You can skate to the magic carpet lifts and from the third one it’s maybe a block walk up to the Main Street and Burma chair along with a flight of sketchy metal steps.  

Also they can’t tow people with a snowmobile or a snow cat.  That’s way too much of a liability.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Driving that golf cart up Blue mountain drive would get them dropped by their insurance company.  It happens at other ski resorts.  When far out lifts go down people sometimes have to hoof uphill to get to another lift. 

Obviously they can't take the carts on the road. 

Worst case scenario, ski patrol could have pulled people in sleds with snowmobiles to the shack mid mtn. 

1 hour ago, Benm said:

On my longest bike ride ever, I climbed from the lower to upper lots in 17 minutes. It's a 2.1 mile climb with approx. 835 feet of elevation gain. 

Walking up that in stiff ski boots while carrying skis on an icy day should be reserved for the 4th level of Dante's Inferno, maybe even the 5th level. And not everyone wants to get in a car with randos.

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, saltyant said:

On my longest bike ride ever, I climbed from the lower to upper lots in 17 minutes. It's a 2.1 mile climb with approx. 835 feet of elevation gain. 

Walking up that in stiff ski boots while carrying skis on an icy day should be reserved for the 4th level of Dante's Inferno, maybe even the 5th level. And not everyone wants to get in a car with randos.

You aren’t comparing apples to apples. The walk from the bottom of the six pack is about 6/10 of a mile and a vertical rise of approx 200 feet.  I’d bum a cig from Pops if I had to walk that for extra energy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You aren’t comparing apples to apples. The walk from the bottom of the six pack is about 6/10 of a mile and a vertical rise of approx 200 feet.  I’d bum a cig from Pops if I had to walk that for extra energy. 

Yeah, to the doubles (I think you mean). But weren't there people who were walking on the road, hitchhiking? 

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yeah, to the doubles (I think you mean). But weren't there people who were walking on the road, hitchhiking? 

Yes but they could have been hitchhiking to the Main Street and Burma lifts but better to hitchhike to the top lodge to get an extra run in or go back to car. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

The people that were “supposedly” hitch hiking up Blue Mt Drive, are clearly from Palmerton, not MALVERN. 
who in their right mind would think thats the smart play?  

One time back when flip phones were all the rage and flat screen TVs were only for the ultra wealthy, me and my buddy Tom ducked beyond the north boundary rope at Bridger bowl and skied lots of mid angle pow pow we went too far before traversing back and ended up and the cross country center next door..imagine the cross country skiers seeing me hauling ass downhill on skis and Tom on his snowboard on the brutally groomed trails..we found our way to the road and hitch hiked a mile or two back to the base of the ski area and took us only a few minutes to get a ride.  When I was in college I picked up hitch hikers a few times in the town of Stowe hitch hiking to the mountain. Hitch hiking in PA is not on my bucket list. 

12 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

The people that were “supposedly” hitch hiking up Blue Mt Drive, are clearly from Palmerton, not MALVERN. 
who in their right mind would think thats the smart play?  

And their "hitchhiking" was probably just getting a ride with somebody in the parking lot moving their car to the top lot. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Forgot to mention:

-they didn’t put a sign at the valley lot entrance saying the lifts were closed lol

-mark forgot his pass and blue charged him $20 for a replacement 

I’ve skied Blue way over 1,000 times and never forgot my pass.  I once made it to whitehall and realized I didn’t have my boots back in 2006. 

39 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Forgot to mention:

-they didn’t put a sign at the valley lot entrance saying the lifts were closed lol

-mark forgot his pass and blue charged him $20 for a replacement 

Wait what??

I forgot my pass last year and was told to just rescan the barcode/qr code in my email at the kiosk. I did and it just simply spit me out a new card. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

New ownership is my guess

KSL keeps asking me to do a survey but haven’t offered me a cup of cocoa as compensation. I still might answer the survey. I recently did a survey for the hotel house which got me $20 off my next stay and I was asked how many nights per year I stay in hotels and my answer was almost 400 lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saltyant said:

When you're right,  you're right Salty 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hopefully blue gets enough complaints to get some sort of action plan in place.  You can skate to the magic carpet lifts and from the third one it’s maybe a block walk up to the Main Street and Burma chair along with a flight of sketchy metal steps.  

I didn’t realize there were stairs up there. I figured if you used that hack you had to scramble up the bank

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

KSL keeps asking me to do a survey but haven’t offered me a cup of cocoa as compensation. I still might answer the survey. I recently did a survey for the hotel house which got me $20 off my next stay and I was asked how many nights per year I stay in hotels and my answer was almost 400 lol. 

I never do surveys unless there's some form of compensation.
If they want my data, they need to pay for it.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, enjoralas said:

I didn’t realize there were stairs up there. I figured if you used that hack you had to scramble up the bank

Nah, there's a way up to the snow from behind the ski patrol building.

I can't believe people hitchhiking up, when it's not that long a hike to the training hill and a short hike from there to to doubles, done it many times.

• Like 2