1/2/2023 - News Years Day + 1

skiincy

Hey All,

I’m back from a fun but short morning session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot at 820am and already a lot of people in the house because some thought they opened at 8am today. In the house were Schifdawg, Nancy, Mute, Ryan, MBike Mike, Boo Bear, Matt Edge, Atomic Jeff, JFDan, Dirtwolf, Indiggio and many more.  

Quite the line up at the six pack but still managed first civilian lift.  Razors was almost corn snow to start, and Coming soon is getting down towards the base and pretty irregular.  Lower paradise was already packed the second run. Temperatures were in the 40s on the upper mountain and upper 30s in the valley.  Main Street was super nice smooth corn snow and the skeet spot is still skiing well.  Midway was full on spring chop and revisiting razors it was full on spring snow.  

Today was the first day I encountered liftlines, only a minute or two.  Skipped the post skiing beer today and back at work.  

224402AA-8120-413F-9B7E-4E305479AB5F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got on the snow with @Boo Beararound 930. Shocked at the crowd after yesterday but I guess since they didn't do holiday rates, all the student passes were there. Probably left some money on the table but not having a holiday rate on a national holiday. Upper Main was my ROTD and was quite nice. Didn't get to TCS but sounds like it's getting thin.

At one point the hill started filling with smoke and we thought it might be a brush fire nearby. Marty was at the top of the 6 and said the triple was smoking and had to be shut down. Not sure if the Coast Guard heli had anything to do with that but it did circle for a look at the mountain around the same time. Someone should have a photo of it to share.

Fun people watching in the lot with the crowds before taking off. Heading back tonight with the kid, hoping for light crowds with the Penn State game on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mbike-ski said:

Scary thing is it ran again after that, hopefully just firing up the diesel?

I sort of threw that scenerio around.  At one point it was billowing out of a very concentrated area under the building, like it was coming out of an exhaust pipe. If it was the diesel, (1) it needs some work. (2) i get having the exhaust somewhere where water wont go down it, but having it dump out under the building where the chairs load seems kinda odd. 
and yeah, it did run shortly after the smoke show, so leaning towards diesel makes sense.  That much smoke being electrical should have fried something, and most likely caught fire, like with some nice new year sparkly stuff. 

• Like 1

You had me at smokeshow.  @saltyant did you see this?  

Was a nice stretch of holiday skiing with a lot of various PASRs.  I wanted to ski everyday Xmas to New Years but managed 6 out of 8 days which is alright with me.  There had to be at least 15 different ski conditions.  Blue made money, I got some quality skiing in.  I believe both JFDan and Indiggio both had perfect attendance during the holiday week..way to get after it!!!!

Now we have about 72 hours to get through before winter sort of returns.  

F4480243-3DEA-4B69-9611-A64AC6A9FAA0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You had me at smokeshow.  @saltyant did you see this?  

Hopefully that lift is now inoperable so they can close it down and sell the chairs for tree fitty and then they can cut a path to the new Super Duper Safari Sixteen Pack and get those gapers, herbs and geralds outta there so I don't have to waste time on that flat terrain. That would increase the odds of me renewing my pass by 0.00286%.

Edited by saltyant
  • Boner City 1

53 minutes ago, Benm said:

Honest question, don't know much about lifts, but why start the diesel backup? Seems unlikely that power was out. 

I would guess it's different in PA as they are technically an amusement ride but in alot of states ANSI specs that they run the APU everyday so that if the lift does break down you know the backup works. 

There are as many combos as chairs it seems, some have full diesel backups some can only run aux to unload the chair. The crossover chair at the bush ran an entire season under the diesel and used some kind of generators as the backup. 

Totally a guess but as its a fixed triple of some age I would bet you can run the whole thing of the diesel but they hadn't run it in awhile and the motor was running like shit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I would guess it's different in PA as they are technically an amusement ride but in alot of states ANSI specs that they run the APU everyday so that if the lift does break down you know the backup works. 

There are as many combos as chairs it seems, some have full diesel backups some can only run aux to unload the chair. The crossover chair at the bush ran an entire season under the diesel and used some kind of generators as the backup. 

Totally a guess but as its a fixed triple of some age I would bet you can run the whole thing of the diesel but they hadn't run it in awhile and the motor was running like shit. 

JLaw are you back in America?  Razors is open 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

With as grumpy as Blues lifts can be, you would think they would run the back ups often. 

Wouldnt the backup have to be run for inspection?

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

JLaw are you back in America?  Razors is open 

I just got home like an hour ago,little disappointed the weather is total shit, it was colder in England but the cold will come back. 

Mad stoked to ski and get all that new area for activities and a little thin always is interesting.

Did I miss anything dope ? Mute got a scooter I think which is hyper titty sparkles. Scooters fucking rock. Hoping crowds go back to normal especially if it's 55 degrees out

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I just got home like an hour ago,little disappointed the weather is total shit, it was colder in England but the cold will come back. 

Mad stoked to ski and get all that new area for activities and a little thin always is interesting.

Did I miss anything dope ? Mute got a scooter I think which is hyper titty sparkles. Scooters fucking rock. Hoping crowds go back to normal especially if it's 55 degrees out

Yeah and the scooter will be back.  It’s the biggest thing to happen in the PASR row since Matt Edge brought out his frisbee.  Welcome back!!!  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

With as grumpy as Blues lifts can be, you would think they would run the back ups often. 

Wouldnt the backup have to be run for inspection?

You would think but unless they changed it PA had super loose restrictions on lifts compared to say NY which has an entire publication with very specific requirements, CO too where UT had no lift bars until the bird got whacked when that dude hit a retaining wall. I'm pretty sure in PA they are regulated under L&I as an elevator becuase Camelback had someone file a right to know a few years back on Sullivan but others have told me it's amusements. VT has the tramway board which has at least 30 full time inspectors that do nothing but ride lifts and run tests with load, the whole nine yards while Minnesota it's entirely up to the hills. Shit varies so widely but I would bet PA doesn't do a whole lot.

20 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah and the scooter will be back.  It’s the biggest thing to happen in the PASR row since Matt Edge brought out his frisbee.  Welcome back!!!  

Always loved Mase......Mase can you please stop smoking la la ?

Puff why try ? I'm a thug, Ima die high

Edited by Johnny Law
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

You would think but unless they changed it PA had super loose restrictions on lifts compared to say NY which has an entire publication with very specific requirements, CO too where UT had no lift bars until the bird got whacked when that dude hit a retaining wall. I'm pretty sure in PA they are regulated under L&I as an elevator becuase Camelback had someone file a right to know a few years back on Sullivan but others have told me it's amusements. VT has the tramway board which has at least 30 full time inspectors that do nothing but ride lifts and run tests with load, the whole nine yards while Minnesota it's entirely up to the hills. Shit varies so widely but I would bet PA doesn't do a whole lot.

Always loved Mase......Mase can you please stop smoking la la ?

Puff why try ? I'm a thug, Ima die high

I rocked all that on a trip to jay peak and Montreal when I was 18.  For class of 97 our class motto was”Can’t Nobody Take Our Pride” paying homage to this song. 

You know Puff he takes hits from the 80s and makes em sound so crazy.  

• Love 1

Made it back at 6 with the fam for the first double dip of the year. Place was packed and it was pouring rain. Rain slowed after about 10 minutes and then there was a mass exodus of soaked people.

6 had a little line to start and quad was pretty much ski right on. Felt like student night since majority of the people were under 18. Push piles everywhere but the kid had a blast rolling over them and working on technique so it was a good time. Razors was closed until about 7 with a heavily bumped upper head wall and a snake from the racers cut in the middle.

Fun rain night and glad we went. Was a little scared it be a wash when we got there.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1