the pics from today thread

Justin

Did it chase you? Or see you? My cousin recently moved to Columbia Falls in a little log cabin they built. She said there are bears near her house all the time. Walking her dog at night is tricky.

It definitely saw us. If it had chased us, I wouldn't be here. Even though both Siblet and my husband had their bear spray out and ready, we would have had about three seconds or less to react. Although we backed up the trail, then left the trail to him and climbed up the hill above him, he went uphill as well, cutting an arc around us. Was definitely within 50 feet.

This was actually our second bear of the day. One was walking along the road between Columbia Falls and Polebridge. Definitely a black bear, maybe 100 pounds less than this dude. We were in the car at the time, which is definitely my preferred viewing position.

Edited by sibhusky

Don't think so as we were coming up a rise and he was below us coming out of the lake. Siblet heard him shaking off. She then said, calmly, "Hey, bear." I was behind her and said, "There's a bear?" We started backing up and he reared up on his haunches, checking us out. We backed up a bit more, then headed off the trail up a hill leading away from the lake, because if he took to the trail, we wanted him coming up hill if he decided to charge. He, however, headed up hill parallel to us. We stopped moving. He angled above and around us. I was worried he was trying to get his own higher ground, but he kept going, thank God.

I really wanted to take another picture, but they were afraid the camera clicks were going to piss him off.

Edited by sibhusky

funny. kind of.

when me and some buddies built a shack on keystone i saw a bear and her cub. they were just chillin but we definitely snuck up on them- as much as you can 'sneak' up on a bear i guess. ive never seen one and came about as close as you did. i had no idea what to do. that shit gets real when youre 60 feet away from a bear and her little one.

i didnt feel threatened really, just being in the presence of a bear that close is terrifying.

just bought a longboard too so pics maybe soon. of something cool.

hills around here suck.

nice morning paddle & pedal yesterday on mauch chunk lake /switchback trail

568_681755375186810_1614987051_n.jpg

Which over look is that? I almost got shot by hunters one time looking for the Oxbow bend overlook. Ever since then I've sworn off biking or hiking in the game lands.

Edit - I just read that its switchback. duh

Edited by Ridge Racer

Do they run downhill or something ? Interesting that they leave cars on the line.

Depending on the lift, and it's accompanying space, it's not terribly unheard of to leave cabins on the lift, especially if they have some summer activity that uses them. Weddings? I know Killington built in storage areas for theirs, but Sunday River has a booming mid mountain wedding business and bike park business that uses the cabins, so there is actually no place to place them should they want to take them off the line unless it's on the ground.

If your referring to "downhill" as in reverse, then yes, most modern high speed lifts, gondis included, can run in reverse, but I'm sure you knew that. I'm probably missing the point here lol

The gondola is only used in summer - notice no place for skis. They alternate the gondolas with chairs. I don't use them because they are hot and the plexiglass is all scratched. But they are good for people with small kids or slightly-better for those with fear of heights. We have extensive mountain biking and hiking here in the summer and the Summit House is open for lunch and beer on the deck.

You can ride up or down winter or summer.

Edited by sibhusky