Zee Lights

skifreak

1 hour ago, Benm said:

if you could guarantee this year's conditions next year, sure.

otherwise, 600 early bird = 750/800 regular = approaching epic prices for blue mt = lol 

right, without offering the "bonus" of being able to use the pass at other ski areas, i'm guessing they figure it'd be tough for them to start approaching epic pass prices. start throwing in things like a half hour early start, some sort of better VIP line situation (not sure what that could actually be), better discounts on food, gear, etc, then maybe the price gets a little closer to epic? i dunno. there's a lot of reasons we all like blue, but there's also (at least in years prior to this one...) that a lot of people preferred frost, too. we're spoiled this year with the quantity and quality of natural snow we've received. blue skis like a totally different mountain without anything off trail being in play, and in a normal year, frost's snow quality usually blows blue away and that's enough for some people to prefer frost, epic pass or not. 

basically, i agree with you haha

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Benm said:

if you could guarantee this year's conditions next year, sure.

otherwise, 600 early bird = 750/800 regular = approaching epic prices for blue mt = lol 

ok, then get epic and ski by yourself at JFBB.  you won't, you'll pay the $1000 now that you're hooked.  this is why blue is leaving money on the table.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

ok, then get epic and ski by yourself at JFBB.  you won't, you'll pay the $1000 now that you're hooked.  this is why blue is leaving money on the table.

I legit wonder... what is the absolute highest price PASRs will pay for a Blue pass before collectively deciding to relocate to another mountain. $1,000? $1,500? $2,000? More???

I think skiing prices are going to continue to increase drastically over the next several years and cant even imagine what we'll be paying across the board 5 and 10 years from now

Edited by saltyant

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I legit wonder... what is the absolute highest price PASRs will pay for a Blue pass before collectively deciding to relocate to another mountain. $1,000? $1,500? $2,000? More???

I can’t see me paying $1000 for a Blue pass, unless Camelback and Montage both went to close to the same price. 

I’d rather ski Blue, but I’d be willing to ski the other two. I’d rather not ski Camel twice a weekend, every weekend, and I’d rather not drive to Montage every weekend (would probably only ski one day a week if I ended up at Montage) but $1000 is an easy “no” from me. Maybe I would pay it for a 22/23 pass if they went on sale in Feb and I could do March + the next season. I think around $650 is my gut check price.

Edited by enjoralas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think they'll charge $1000.  It clearly would have an affect on season pass purchases based on the feedback here, but would they lose 1/2 of their sales?  Probably not, so it'd be everyone's benefit.  I do think the early bird should be $599.  That's reasonably early season pricing based on what Blue offers.  The full priced November pricing should be close to $1000, though, based on same day max ticket pricing at $100+/day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's be honest a $1000 is extreme obviously and isn't happening to Toasts point. However Blue has clearly taken the quantity approach as it pertains to pass pricing....price it as low as possible early season and sell as many of these mofos as we possibly can. It's worked...clearly. question is do they price a little higher moving forward with the knowledge that less people will purchase allowing for the higher price to perhaps offset the quantity sold? If so does that result in less of a shit show? I don't know the answer to that but probably not.

Would I want to pay a G for a pass? Of course not. Not unless I absolutely knew it would cut down on crowds. If it did I would; but that ain't happening...again to Toasts point. If people are willing to pay $100 for a 4 hour night sesh I'm convinced they'll pay anything.

Salty your question is a good one. However I won't respond online knowing that Blue may be reading this. Haha.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AtomicSkier said:

I don't think they'll charge $1000.  It clearly would have an affect on season pass purchases based on the feedback here, but would they lose 1/2 of their sales?  Probably not, so it'd be everyone's benefit.  I do think the early bird should be $599.  That's reasonably early season pricing based on what Blue offers.  The full priced November pricing should be close to $1000, though, based on same day max ticket pricing at $100+/day.

That one day ticket pricing of $100 is just in a constrained market though. Once the competition from all of the other forms of entertainment come back next year it's going to be a lot harder to get away with those kind of prices at high volume. When there is nothing else to do in the cities, there is tons of snow everywhere and the weather is nice Blue is worth the $100 ticket. Next year when everything but the trails is dirt, people are comfortable going to dinner or seeing a movie or going to a birthday party and it inevitably rains hard in February Blue isn't worth much more than $40. 

I think dynamic ticket pricing could definitely work in their favor next year if they use the $109 price for snowy bluebird days but they will be hard pressed to get a significant number of people to pay that on other days. All it would take is for another mountain to undercut them with an $80 day ticket and all of a sudden a family of 4 can save $116 by driving an extra 30 minutes or they can decide that $436 isn't worth it for a day on the mountain when they can use that money for something with more perceived value. 

The crowd out there on these crazy weekends has got to be comprised of a lot of "I haven't skied in 10 years" skiers or "There's so much snow in my yard I had to get out" skiers. You can't count on those people for next year. 

As for season pass pricing, they can probably get a few extra bucks out of the $429 price but they have to be careful to not push people away and towards Epic or Ikon. @Mixilplix had a good thought in the lift line yesterday, offer returning season passholders a lower rate than new ones. Create a sense of customer loyalty. Give people a reason to come back year after year (besides the parking lot). If the returning pass is $50 bucks cheaper than the new price it gives a serious incentive to buy. Do cool things like print a fancy pass for your 5th anniversary or after 20 years you get the 21st free. A loyal customer is a profitable customer. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

hah ... want to bet it sticks around? 

I mean in some form or fashion it will absolutely stick around. The only question I would have is how many tickets are offered/sold at this price? It might take a while but there is always a market correction. Either the market will catch up to the $100 ticket price or the price will have to fall. 

If $100 is the new normal for the Poconos will $180 be the new normal out west? Where does the price of a ticket in Vermont fall? What does this do to Ikon and Epic? How do they handle school groups on Wednesday nights? 

If you ask me this is a more complex version of the whole Gamestop saga. An unstable and one in a million market that isn't really reflective of anything typical in the industry. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing $499 for early passes with their quantity limited approach, then quickly upping it to $599 before the end of the season. This is all hypothetical since we have no idea what Blue is doing and they usually don't have any clue either. As season pass prices increase, the chance of me getting a season pass and an Ikon/Epic/etc pass decreases. If season passes increase ridiculously, the likelihood of me getting just a multi-mountain pass increases. What that SP price point is, I don't know. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my ~90 minutes of skiing Blue until it gets cray cray.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I'm guessing $499 for early passes with their quantity limited approach, then quickly upping it to $599 before the end of the season. This is all hypothetical since we have no idea what Blue is doing and they usually don't have any clue either. As season pass prices increase, the chance of me getting a season pass and an Ikon/Epic/etc pass decreases. If season passes increase ridiculously, the likelihood of me getting just a multi-mountain pass increases. What that SP price point is, I don't know. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my ~90 minutes of skiing Blue until it gets cray cray.

I said before in another thread, I think they should go that route AND offer the early-early bird to re-ups only. Grab cash now, don’t add any skiers to the “uncountables” and don’t give up any cash for day tickets they might still see before the end of the year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I said before in another thread, I think they should go that route AND offer the early-early bird to re-ups only. Grab cash now, don’t add any skiers to the “uncountables” and don’t give up any cash for day tickets they might still see before the end of the year.

I do like the idea of early bird price benefits for current SP holders...

• Like 4

Just now, toast21602 said:

I do like the idea of early bird price benefits for current SP holders...

Price early bird at $550, $25 discount per prior year of consecutive pass ownership up to max discount $100. The $450 passes they sell to the most loyal customers being offset by the $550 passes they sell to all the first time passholders that bought this year, but everyone gets a better price then new buyers who get $600 price ~ 2 weeks before anticipated close.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

I think skiing prices are going to continue to increase drastically over the next several years and cant even imagine what we'll be paying across the board 5 and 10 years from now

Doesn’t matter to me. If it was $2,000 it would still be worth it for me and that’s not a lot of money for me.  I saved more than that not going to Jackson hole this year. 

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

Well all be making more money in 5-10 years also. When I was in college Stowe cracked the $50 price on day tickets and people freaked. 

2 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Let's be honest a $1000 is extreme obviously and isn't happening to Toasts point. However Blue has clearly taken the quantity approach as it pertains to pass pricing....price it as low as possible early season and sell as many of these mofos as we possibly can. It's worked...clearly. question is do they price a little higher moving forward with the knowledge that less people will purchase allowing for the higher price to perhaps offset the quantity sold? If so does that result in less of a shit show? I don't know the answer to that but probably not.

Would I want to pay a G for a pass? Of course not. Not unless I absolutely knew it would cut down on crowds. If it did I would; but that ain't happening...again to Toasts point. If people are willing to pay $100 for a 4 hour night sesh I'm convinced they'll pay anything.

Salty your question is a good one. However I won't respond online knowing that Blue may be reading this. Haha.

I hope blue is reading this so they’ll price accordingly both for more money for them and a reduction in season pass sales. 

• Thanks 1

I also don’t see Blue in any competition with epic or Ikon. It’s comparing apples to oranges.  Unless you’re somebody like ski2live or GSSucks who lives deep in jersey, most of us aren’t gonna drive to hunter regularly and JfBB is only decent for JibHonks or if Floyd’s is good.  

It is hilarious how many people at Blue are wondering why they haven’t released early bird season price passing yet.  It’s so they can sell $49 and $79 and $109 tickets.  Why give new passholders an extra few weeks for free 

2 hours ago, Schif said:

That one day ticket pricing of $100 is just in a constrained market though. Once the competition from all of the other forms of entertainment come back next year it's going to be a lot harder to get away with those kind of prices at high volume. When there is nothing else to do in the cities, there is tons of snow everywhere and the weather is nice Blue is worth the $100 ticket. Next year when everything but the trails is dirt, people are comfortable going to dinner or seeing a movie or going to a birthday party and it inevitably rains hard in February Blue isn't worth much more than $40. 

I think dynamic ticket pricing could definitely work in their favor next year if they use the $109 price for snowy bluebird days but they will be hard pressed to get a significant number of people to pay that on other days. All it would take is for another mountain to undercut them with an $80 day ticket and all of a sudden a family of 4 can save $116 by driving an extra 30 minutes or they can decide that $436 isn't worth it for a day on the mountain when they can use that money for something with more perceived value. 

The crowd out there on these crazy weekends has got to be comprised of a lot of "I haven't skied in 10 years" skiers or "There's so much snow in my yard I had to get out" skiers. You can't count on those people for next year. 

As for season pass pricing, they can probably get a few extra bucks out of the $429 price but they have to be careful to not push people away and towards Epic or Ikon. @Mixilplix had a good thought in the lift line yesterday, offer returning season passholders a lower rate than new ones. Create a sense of customer loyalty. Give people a reason to come back year after year (besides the parking lot). If the returning pass is $50 bucks cheaper than the new price it gives a serious incentive to buy. Do cool things like print a fancy pass for your 5th anniversary or after 20 years you get the 21st free. A loyal customer is a profitable customer. 

They don’t have to do all that..they aren’t a frozen yogurt or hoagie shop..we all feen to ski and snowboard...giving us a free pass or a discount when we are already a loyal customer is just cutting into their bottom line.  You give extras to new customers to entice them.  With new dealers I give a $500 sign on bonus with their first order..I also give referral bonuses as well. 

6 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

I thought you said $499 early bird was gonna be it?....lol

I did say I think $499 will be it but I think they’d do better in terms of revenue charging $600.  If the price is 20% more I bet they only lose a few percent of people.  Also most lower and middle income skiers got that stimulus money as well.