Gardening

momskeeztoo

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

Where do you get your mulch? I dropped a shit ton at Argots this morning.

That's funny because argots is the closest biz to me aside from the CVS on the corner there. 

Kenro farms on 209, past wawa a ways but not as far as old 115. Bucket (I think that's 1.5 cu yd) was 32$  that truckload was 2 buckets. 

Edit: red mulch was 35. Brown/black 32

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Benm said:

That's funny because argots is the closest biz to me aside from the CVS on the corner there. 

Kenro farms on 209, past wawa a ways but not as far as old 115. Bucket (I think that's 1.5 cu yd) was 32$  that truckload was 2 buckets. 

BenM do you normally do gardening?  What are you gonna plant?  One of my friends has a plot at a community garden and she always hooks me up with multi color heirloom tomatoes.  

$7 a bag at Argots. Dude rang me up and I nearly had a heart attack.
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

BenM do you normally do gardening?  What are you gonna plant?  One of my friends has a plot at a community garden and she always hooks me up with multi color heirloom tomatoes.  

Yeah, we tried doing all kinds of shit early on. Now we focus on different peppers and stuff for pickling, some other things thrown in. 

Fun stuff like pumpkins too. If I had seeds for other fun stuff, then we'd do that, but I dont. 

11 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:
11 hours ago, Benm said:
For a bag of mulch?

Yep. For some fancy dirt. 12 bags of them. I probably should have looked at the price first.

Wow. The place is mom and pop, so it's a cpl extra bucks but that is some boutique pricing. 

Impressive.

Has anyone tried to get rid of Groundhog? Do you have any tips? 

Philadelphia Phil and I had a stare down yesterday. He was a bit snarky and waddled away but I noticed his burrowed home by my garden / the side of my house. 😑

1 hour ago, skiincy said:

Impressive.

Philadelphia Phil and I had a stare down yesterday. He was a bit snarky and waddled away but I noticed his burrowed home by my garden / the side of my house. 😑

22. But I think that might be frowned upon in the city.

• Like 4

Impressive.

You could trap it, but you're technically not allowed to relocate them, so you'd have to trap and kill it.  They don't like human scents...cut all Schif's hair off and spread it around your yard.  I used to pee in the backyard where the groundhog used to hang out...they hate that too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

West Philadelphia born and raised ground hog? Shouldn't be in a playground and not in the garden? 

I think the best course of action would be to trap this groundhog by tracking it's fresh prints. 

Edited by Schif
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

try cayenne pepper. now that it's warmer out he or she may decide to go elsewhere rather than staying hunkered down for winter.

52 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

I used to pee in the backyard where the groundhog used to hang out...they hate that too.

This works great for all sorts of animals.  My wife's hydrangeas were getting tore up by deer, so i pissed in one of those souvenir Sixers cups and poured it all around them.  The deer haven't messed with them since.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PSUFly said:

You could trap it, but you're technically not allowed to relocate them, so you'd have to trap and kill it.  They don't like human scents...cut all Schif's hair off and spread it around your yard.  I used to pee in the backyard where the groundhog used to hang out...they hate that too.

i didnt know this.  i relocated 2 unwanted under-shed dwellers at my old house.  

2 hours ago, skiincy said:

Impressive.

I do have a have-a-heart trap that can be loaned out should you go that way.  They are not always the easiest animal to trap though.  you would most likely trap your neighbors cat before the groundhog.  Groundhogs are evil, smelly creatures btw.  My 17 lb Rat Terrier went fisties with one once, and won the first match.  I made sure there was no re-match.  

18 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

This works great for all sorts of animals.  My wife's hydrangeas were getting tore up by deer, so i pissed in one of those souvenir Sixers cups and poured it all around them.  The deer haven't messed with them since.  

My neighbors landscaper pointed out to me that Deer were really doing a number on my Arborvitaes.  i knew they were nibbling on them, but i never really saw how bad they fucked them up.  I went for the irish spring soap, since i had some on hand.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i didnt know this.  i relocated 2 unwanted under-shed dwellers at my old house.  

I do have a have-a-heart trap that can be loaned out should you go that way.  They are not always the easiest animal to trap though.  you would most likely trap your neighbors cat before the groundhog.  Groundhogs are evil, smelly creatures btw.  My 17 lb Rat Terrier went fisties with one once, and won the first match.  I made sure there was no re-match.  

My neighbors landscaper pointed out to me that Deer were really doing a number on my Arborvitaes.  i knew they were nibbling on them, but i never really saw how bad they fucked them up.  I went for the irish spring soap, since i had some on hand.  

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, it is illegal to relocate groundhogs because they may carry rabies, which can be transmitted to pets and humans.

I doubt if anyone would tell on you, but if you had a game warden see you, it could be a problem.  I didn't have any luck trapping them either.  I kept filling in the holes and blocking off the base of the shed...and peed all over my backyard.  Eventually it either found another home or died 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, it is illegal to relocate groundhogs because they may carry rabies, which can be transmitted to pets and humans.

I doubt if anyone would tell on you, but if you had a game warden see you, it could be a problem.  I didn't have any luck trapping them either.  I kept filling in the holes and blocking off the base of the shed...and peed all over my backyard.  Eventually it either found another home or died 

blowing off a few rounds out of my 12 gauge at my old house was definitely going to attract a little attention.  

1 hour ago, PSUFly said:

I get them living under the shed as well and trapping this is a PITA.  I tend to catch everything but them, raccoons, cats, skunks. 
I block off their holes with cinder blocks, and they just dig elsewhere.  They drive me crazy.
I've tried piss, mothballs, various other urines, but they seem to just ignore it all.

I did manage to catch one once and took it over to a friend house who's a falconer and we let the hog run and unleashed the falcon after it.  Nature at its finest.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I get them living under the shed as well and trapping this is a PITA.  I tend to catch everything but them, raccoons, cats, skunks. 
I block off their holes with cinder blocks, and they just dig elsewhere.  They drive me crazy.
I've tried piss, mothballs, various other urines, but they seem to just ignore it all.

I did manage to catch one once and took it over to a friend house who's a falconer and we let the hog run and unleashed the falcon after it.  Nature at its finest.

Block off one side of the whole and light a fire in the other. Smoke them to death.

4 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Block off one side of the whole and light a fire in the other. Smoke them to death.

I've tried tossing smoke bombs under there for kicks.  They just never seem to be in there when I'm there.
They must feel pretty safe under there, since the shed butts up against the woods.  They only have one entrance/exit.
I've since blocked that hole off with a trap and a bunch of cinder blocks.  I think they've found an easier home elsewhere.

I've always wanted to try a recipe with one.
https://foragerchef.com/a-groundhog-stew/

• Haha 1