Sal Tlay Ka Siti 2021 - (Salt Lake City, UT)

skiincy

Wednesday 10/6/2021

Flew into Salt Lake City after a layover in Denver on Wednesday. Very easy flying right now from PHL to DEN on Southwest. I actually had an entire row to myself so that was nice.

As an update, economy parking is closed at the Philadelphia airport right now so they are only charging $3 more per day to park in the garage that's right next to the terminals. Got picked up at the SLC airport and went to neighborhood dog park (Herman Franks) where Wally got to run around for a little while and showed off some of his leaping skills.

After that we went to Wasatch Brewery in the Sugarhouse section of Salt Lake City. We had Wally with us so we ended up eating outside on the patio in one of those igloos. It was actually really nice, there were lights strung above it, Wally could hang out off his leash and there was a space heater and blankets though it wasn't terribly cold. I had a Buffalo Burger and @skiincy had a turkey burger with grilled mushrooms.  Nancy had the Apricot Hefeweizen and I had the Evo Amber Ale, both the big 22 oz pours. Went back to the AirBnB, unpacked and went to bed early in preparation for Snowbird the next day

Edited by Schif
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Schif said:

Wednesday 10/6/2021

Flew into Salt Lake City after a layover in Denver on Wednesday. Very easy flying right now and from PHL to DEN I actually had an entire row  to myself so that was nice. As an update, Economy parking is closed at the Philadelphia airport right now so they are only charging $3 more per day to park in the garage that's right next to the terminals.  Got picked up at the airport and went to a nice dog park where Wally got to run around for a little while and showed off some of his leaping skills. After that we went to Wasatch Brewery in the Sugarhouse section of Salt Lake City. We had Wally with us so we ended up eating outside on the patio in one of those igloos. It was actually really nice, there were lights strung above it, Wally could hang out off his leash and there was a space heater and blankets though it wasn't terribly cold. I had a Buffalo Burger and @skiincy had a turkey burger with grilled mushrooms.  Nancy had the Apricot Hefeweizen and I had the Evo Amber Ale, both the big 22 oz pours. Went back to the AirBnB, unpacked and went to bed early in preparation for Snowbird the next day

Is this your first trip out west?  Are you boarding or skiing?  Have fun!

Here are some picture for @Schif’s post. 
A2503407-2F63-401F-8088-A4B098395FEB.thumb.jpeg.41ca45e68c65d19f19ab42bf39c3350a.jpeg

The nacho appetizer was delicious. I appreciate a flatter mountain of nachos. We still have leftovers in the fridge from Wasatch.

wally didn’t actually hate his man bun or the igloo life despite the smug 😐 look on his face
73D37AF4-AEAA-468D-886A-295D2E14D3EC.thumb.jpeg.8d495f1e38551c3317a32e6be3674d1c.jpeg

no one else was in the igloo area. I feel like if this was Philly - it would have been packed and you would needed to have a reservation.

7423076E-0D01-4ADE-A718-E078EF2E8C24.thumb.jpeg.c73c17fc9de135664778821e395c797c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:00 PM, Schif said:

Day 2. Snowbird.

On this solo run I hopped off the cat track pretty early and dove down through some fun steeps and wound up in a pretty gnarly and narrow chute that came out of nowhere.

Claimed by shit chute, lol. That damn thing just pops out of nowhere sometimes. 

Damn I miss 50-60 day seasons at bird, time for a move! 

• Like 3

Day 3

Solitude

Bluebird and Bumps

Woke up and immediately hit the snooze, Snowbird beat me up so I wasn’t as extremely motivated to get up before the sun. Had a leisurely breakfast of eggs and toast and headed out. Dropped off Wally at dog daycare and headed into Big Cottonwood Canyon. Pulled in around 9:30 to the Moonbeam base area, booted up, grabbed a ticket, hit the bathroom, and was on the snow a little before 10.  Up Moonbeam and down the widest groomers I’ve ever seen under a perfectly blue cloudless Utah sky. We were shooting for the Apex express lift but that was having a temporary mechanical issue so we scooted over to the slow sunrise triple for two nice runs down Timberline/Sensation and then North Star. Apex express was open now so we hopped on it for a trip up where we explored Wall Street/Main Street and Blue Spruce with the occasional dip off trail. One more ride up Apex Express and we cruised down to the Summit Express lift.   

At this point, I would like to say that I do not like chairs that follow the terrain and go down on their way up the mountain. It feels weird to be going downhill so I was pretty pumped when the chair eventually started to go up very steeply.  Once we got to the summit, it became very clear that it had not snowed in a week. Lots of exposed rock, shrubs and absolutely everything was bumped up here.  There were also more people than expected since everyone was funneled into the trails Mine/Dynamite and no one was bothering with the ridge or the cirques. This meant it was just 1800 vertical feet of crusty and icy bumps down to the village. Needless to say this was our one and only trip to the top.  We took Apex Express up and cruised down to the Moonbeam base area where we dropped our gear in racks and walked over to the car for another round of socially distant lunch.

Similar spread to the day before but @skiincy packed a thermos of hot water and made some Ramen noodles for us which was a nice touch.  We relaxed for about 45 minutes and enjoyed the crisp air and sunshine and we both dropped a layer.

Back to the Moonbeam Express and then from the top of that we took the Powderhorn II lift and cruised down Eagle Ridge until the snow below looked pretty good and we dropped down Paradise lost which was fun and had good snow but was still a little rocky and had a decent amount of shrubs poking out. Down to the eagle express and up again to cruise down the same route but stayed on the groomer to Sunshine Bowl before getting on Eagle Express again. This turned out to be a really fun lift and we took it 4 more times alternating between dropping down some nice steep blacks and cruising on the western groomers.

We cruised down over to the Apex Express lift again and did two runs in the little bowl below Abbas Alley and after a full day of mostly bumps decided to go down, up Moonbeam Express and carry our speed past that lift to ski right to the car. I dropped off the little cat track next to the parking lot and almost got hit by a car coming down the lane but no one else besides me and the lady driving seemed to see it happen.

All in all a great sunshiny day where I spent most of it with sunglasses on instead of goggles and enjoyed the super comfortable weather and some great groomers.  The slick bumps on most of the mountain were a major drawback and occasionally I would take a left when @skiincy would take a right and wind up on some not so great snow or just scraping through the bumps for a while but still it was fun. I would love to go back and get to explore more of the mountain because some of the terrain looked amazing but with the look of the snow it wasn’t worth going for. I’m sure there are some here that would disagree but miles of bumps isn’t the most fun for me.

Weather 10/10

Snow 5/10

Fun 8.5/10

Pics to follow

Edited by Schif
  • Like 5

Day 2 - Solitude

I don’t have a ton of pics from this day...

i snapped a pic towards the Honeycomb Chutes and Boundary Chutes. Someone had a really fun day. Zoom in for some symmetrical lines.

0D621BD4-473E-4D0E-87F1-35DE62D2DB99.thumb.jpeg.4070079c56e18fd1b23523c93712c514.jpeg

after Solitude, we hung out at the Airbnb for a bit then explored the downtown. Wally is looking like a fluffy stegosaurus. 

7C955DAC-1A19-4D9D-8FC9-E15A85F86091.thumb.jpeg.46cc394aec5f3b06819cc2ccf35c6929.jpeg

turns out they’re doing a major overhaul of the Temples foundation.

0195CE30-148D-442C-9371-D805C6B6290C.thumb.jpeg.1b7bb4550b9c6d2134f1f6fee83cc873.jpeg

this is a really interesting video of how they’re doing it if you like geeking out on construction videos.

After the deserted Temple Square, we popped over to Pie Hole
D6A4CCF0-E3F4-4853-BFB8-C275634873BE.thumb.jpeg.932e36a4d75da1569a9c0e8a06c1bf2c.jpeg

We got 3 slices ....

1. Potato, bacon, alfredo 
  2. Chorizo, brown sugar, roasted jalapeños, olives
  3. Candied jalapeños, potato, onion

5004B3DD-02DC-4670-8546-E4F30AD6243C.thumb.jpeg.cf46da97391f296fc00c996bf3225033.jpeg

The style kind of reminded me of fishtown. 
A3B1AC29-D6FC-479A-8745-7688AFD84CAC.thumb.jpeg.c57605ad5462dd130f91158830bf52af.jpeg

then, the pizza was stacked on top of each other and put in a styrofoam container 😳 

58379734-A69E-428B-8A31-C2BF833DDA87.thumb.jpeg.fbba5a9cde2881268e46db4e7ff7c46a.jpeg

Edited by skiincy
  • Like 3